Used 2001 Honda Prelude Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

Japanese Interpretation of Italian Sports Car
By silver02m5

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

If you are looking for something that follows the "typical Honda" model, then you should look elsewhere. Pretty much everything about this car, from the low roofline, to the seating position, to the engine character screams Italian. All Hondas need to be revved up to make power, but this one is even more extreme. Even the design of the valvetrain, with the valves set into "buckets" in the head is identical to that of an Alfa Romeo. The seats are comfortable and supportive , but be prepared to extend your arms while your legs straddle the wheel if you are over 6 foot. The build quality is excellent, but the low production numbers show in only average reliability (not Honda-typical).

Favorite Features

Great fit and finish, screams at high RPMs, classic Honda interior and instrumentation, great seats, looks great, more reliable than Euro competitors

Suggested Improvements

Only average reliability, 20 MPG on premium-only fuel, actual power feels far below advertised, feels like you are steering from the back seat (like a BMW Z3), tiny back seat

Fun car!
By tedrox

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car with the auto/man transmission. The car was great I had it lowered on springs. The car was really fun and sounded great with a small 12in sub. It was definitely one of the best cars I've owned. The only complaint was the transmission. They don't last very long.

Favorite Features

Interior seating, the outside body

Suggested Improvements

Better transmission

Should have been a 2 seater
By pablogyds03

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to replace my 1986 Prelude, I was fresh out of college and landed a good paying job so an upgrade was in tail. Initially I was in the market for an Acura Integra GSR which are hard to find Clean title and Stock (Which is what I wanted). While out Kicking tires at some dealerships I found a 01 Black Prelude 5spd. I took it for a test drive and was sold before I even hit 3 blocks, took it back and bought it with 113k. Purchaced the car in 2007 ended up totaling it in 2011 but it was super reliable only oil changes, tires and tune ups. it had 236k when I parted from it. I miss this car and it was a blast to drive on my 60mile commute especially passing people. Gotta love VTEC!

Favorite Features

VTEC VTEC VTEC VTEC! Shifter was awesome, midrange torque Looks Honda reliability

Suggested Improvements

Bigger back seat Bring back the prelude, Honda used to be synonymous with racing but their line up is really depressing there hasnt been a really good sports car -accord v6 6-pd in their line up since the s2000.

this is my second Prelude!
By jg323

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

In my teens i bought a 4thGen Si Prelude for practically nothing with over 100K on it and i drove it to 230K until it was totaled while parked w/ the only problem being that it burned oil (not leaked.) Then i purchased an '01 Base model and at 1st was disappointed because i couldn't find an SH, though shortly after i realized that seats and the ATTS, wheels and a spoiler were not really worth it the extra bucks and found my car at Buena Park Honda with only 40K on it. That was five years ago and i still haven't reached the 100K mark but i'm close. The 5thGen changes gears not nearly as smooth as the 4th. and sadly this Prelude burns oil also between changes.

Favorite Features

It is super quick and takes corners with ease. Probably would've been much more popular if it'd been RWD but at the end of the day it is simply a sports car, not a race car which it is constantly confused with. No other car on the road has the looks of the Prelude. it's comfortable on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

my 5thGen Prelude burns oil. All my friends Preludes burn oil also, some at ridiculous amounts between oil changes (something to ask if you plan on buying one). If you are a coffee drinker and this is your daily car it will by far be the first thing you notice while on the way to work, changing gears, with the coffee in the cup holder. I do a lot of multitasking with steering, and holding my coffee in my hand. MPG could be alot worse but also better for such a lightweight vehicle, then again it's 2.2 liters and a Civic is roughly ?1.6? give or take. MPG all depends on how you drive it and more importantly (as with any car) how you brake.

prelude power
By CRIS

2001 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my prelude brand new in 2001, the last model made SE.. this car is amazing, affordable, fast and great handling. Its not very roomy but whatever, its a great ride and stops on a dime. I'm over 200,000 km and it still drives like new. I have always babied it and never had a problem. My biggest expense was timing belt and water pump for a 1000 bucks, my crank pully was damaged. I did wait way to long to change my timing belt, I changed it at 195,000 so lucky it didn't brake, it had cracks all over it. A little tip, if you own a prelude and have a problem, only take it to honda, its to hard of a car to work on and anyone else will screw it up.

Favorite Features

handling, take off and stopping..

Suggested Improvements

winter tires, good ones, michelin or bridgestone and its like a TANK in the snow..