2001 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:
Japanese Interpretation of Italian Sports Car
By silver02m5 on 05/01/14 12:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

If you are looking for something that follows the "typical Honda" model, then you should look elsewhere. Pretty much everything about this car, from the low roofline, to the seating position, to the engine character screams Italian. All Hondas need to be revved up to make power, but this one is even more extreme. Even the design of the valvetrain, with the valves set into "buckets" in the head is identical to that of an Alfa Romeo. The seats are comfortable and supportive , but be prepared to extend your arms while your legs straddle the wheel if you are over 6 foot. The build quality is excellent, but the low production numbers show in only average reliability (not Honda-typical).

Fun car!
By tedrox on 09/23/13 12:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I owned this car with the auto/man transmission. The car was great I had it lowered on springs. The car was really fun and sounded great with a small 12in sub. It was definitely one of the best cars I've owned. The only complaint was the transmission. They don't last very long.

Should have been a 2 seater
By pablogyds03 on 09/27/12 19:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car to replace my 1986 Prelude, I was fresh out of college and landed a good paying job so an upgrade was in tail. Initially I was in the market for an Acura Integra GSR which are hard to find Clean title and Stock (Which is what I wanted). While out Kicking tires at some dealerships I found a 01 Black Prelude 5spd. I took it for a test drive and was sold before I even hit 3 blocks, took it back and bought it with 113k. Purchaced the car in 2007 ended up totaling it in 2011 but it was super reliable only oil changes, tires and tune ups. it had 236k when I parted from it. I miss this car and it was a blast to drive on my 60mile commute especially passing people. Gotta love VTEC!

this is my second Prelude!
By jg323 on 02/14/12 08:52 AM (PST)

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

In my teens i bought a 4thGen Si Prelude for practically nothing with over 100K on it and i drove it to 230K until it was totaled while parked w/ the only problem being that it burned oil (not leaked.) Then i purchased an '01 Base model and at 1st was disappointed because i couldn't find an SH, though shortly after i realized that seats and the ATTS, wheels and a spoiler were not really worth it the extra bucks and found my car at Buena Park Honda with only 40K on it. That was five years ago and i still haven't reached the 100K mark but i'm close. The 5thGen changes gears not nearly as smooth as the 4th. and sadly this Prelude burns oil also between changes.

Fantastic Sports Coupe
By iceman721 on 08/02/11 08:47 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Prelude SH 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is fun to drive. I have an HKS exhaust put on by the previous owner and an AEM Cold Air Intake. It produces a boomy, racy tone under full throttle but is reasonably quiet under moderate acceleration. Power is good in the upper RPM range. VTEC engages at around 5100 RPM and you'll know it when it does. Car is comfortable and you won't be seen every time you turn your head. A decade into its life span the car still looks fresh. Handling is OUTSTANDING! Gas mileage on premium is 20 City & 25 Hwy. I've seen as high as 26-27 driving conservatively on the highway. 5 speed is crisp and fun to drive.

2001 Prelude Type SH
By OEMwheels on 08/01/10 19:33 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Prelude SH 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I remember first seeing this car indoors at a Honda dealer when it first came out in 1997 and my goal was to one day own one(I was around 12 years old). I was in love with it. Prior to that, I really liked the 94-95 Honda Accord 2 door. I owned the accord for around 5 years. I have had the prelude since October 2008. I love the car. It's a bit slow for 200 hp and 22 mpg, but it's fair enough. If I were to buy one again, I'd go with the base over SH. Base is lighter. This is a unique, classy car not like most of the other cars out there. The main concern I'd have with buying one is how well it was taken care of. A lot of these owners have driven 'em hard. Car maintenance is everything.

prelude power
By CRIS on 12/04/09 16:58 PM (PST)

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my prelude brand new in 2001, the last model made SE.. this car is amazing, affordable, fast and great handling. Its not very roomy but whatever, its a great ride and stops on a dime. I'm over 200,000 km and it still drives like new. I have always babied it and never had a problem. My biggest expense was timing belt and water pump for a 1000 bucks, my crank pully was damaged. I did wait way to long to change my timing belt, I changed it at 195,000 so lucky it didn't brake, it had cracks all over it. A little tip, if you own a prelude and have a problem, only take it to honda, its to hard of a car to work on and anyone else will screw it up.

Great Car!
By CA Prelude on 09/07/09 19:27 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Excellent car and value, a blast to drive! Original stock tires weren't great. Stock stereo is good and puts out decent volume, but the bass is more "mid bass," not low bass. Just over 100K miles and no problems. By some miracle, no tickets, either! Don't ask me how I know this, but there is a fuel cutoff at 7,800 rpm. Would be nice to have a rev limiter, instead. Like other comments, a 6th cruising gear, RWD, 200 lbs. lighter, and 40 more hp would also be on my wish list. My car should last another 10 years at least...maybe by then, a new Prelude will be in showrooms.

My blue Honda Prelude
By kevinfly777 on 08/07/09 14:08 PM (PDT)

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Parents bought me this to go to UCSD. Great car, fantastic handling (through the corners). Although I was disappointed about the interior, but it's not too bad for a Japanese sports car. Very reliable, passed smog and everything... a very fast car and sometimes with the blue color it attracts a lot of attention. I love this car.

Revin Hard
By matt on 07/24/09 10:43 AM (PDT)

2001 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2001 Prelude from PA and I love it. The V-Tec Mode kicks in hard and the car's sleek body makes it look pretty damn good. It handles like a true racing Machine. I only wish it had more stock HP. I added 200 HP of my own when I rebuilt the engine. For anyone planning on T-Charging the Prelude engine beware of the H22A4 RING LANDS!!! THEY WILL NOT LAST! I recommend this car to new drivers, it's cheap, reliable, safe, and a real blast to drive.