2000 Honda Prelude 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - First time, some surprises, mostly

2000 Honda Prelude - Consumer Review

Base Coupe (2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

First time, some surprises, mostly good.
By Locutiss on

2000 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

My first new car in 13 years and my first time driving a Prelude. The dealer had a Black, 2000, 4-speed sequential sport shift transmission. Cost $1000 more than the 5-speed manual. After I got used to the transmission and shifter, I really appreciated its benefits. Car has rock- solid handling, cornering and braking. Sturdily built and low to the ground (another feature that takes getting used to). I regularly use both sides of the sport-shifter. I plan to keep the car for a long time.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, handling, cornering, braking. Acceleration ain't bad, but really doesn't 'kick' until 5000 RPM. Cruising at 90 mph (when safe and conditions permit) is smooth and comfortable. Really, these cars were designed to drive at high speeds.

Suggested Improvements

Silly of Honda to market this as a 4- seater. Only humans below 5 ft and weighing less than 100 lbs can use rear seats. Too bad they didn't utilize rear space, and properly designate car as a 2-seater.