2000 Honda Prelude 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Reviews

2000 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

2000 Prelude Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
One Sweet Car
By bh

2000 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I bought this car as I loved the sleek and sporty body style plus knew of Honda's reliability. I've owned the car over 4 years and the only thing I've done is put a new battery in it. Due to my getting older I am thinking about trading it for a Tacoma but am having a very difficult time bringing myself to do it. 28 MPG on the open road and it handles so smoothly. The paint on it still has a showroom shine but I really baby the car. If anyone is looking for an incredibly sporty car that will get you looks plus the added benefit of great reliability than get yourself one of these babies. You won't be sorry.

Favorite Features

The sleek, sporty body, great gas mileage, and Honda reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps a bit better suspension system (kind of rough going over rough RR tracks). Other than that nothing! Bring the model back!

My Dream Car. Also My best Car
By David in Colorado

2000 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

The most excellent combination of practicality and sports coupe. My car has been a dream for the most part. I have 215,000 miles and limited maintenance. The ignition switch at 80,000 was a recall item. I didn't listen to my mechanic about flushing the tranny at every 60K, and the filter finally clogged at 170,000 miles. Otherwise, I have had no other problems. One nagging issue, is the low tires make driving in snow of more than 3" difficult and the car is very hard on tires. The sound system is incredible and the performance is very titillating for those loving speed. It's a tribute to Honda craftsmanship.

Favorite Features

Tiptronic transmission. You get your normal P-R-N-D-D2-D1 automatic type of shifter. However on the D gear, the driver can move the shifter to a manual type of shifting. There is no clutch involved, but it allows for downshifting making Mountain passes and on ramps a delight. Helps to stop car

Suggested Improvements

Reintroduce this to the market. It's reliable, practical, sporty, fun. Do something about the tires. Higher tread wall would be great.

Born to be a Classic
By Chris Sullivan

2000 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

The Prelude is definitely an underestimated Honda. Very elusive compared to your Civic or Accord. Civic would be the bottom line daily driver, the Accord would be the nice family car, and the Prelude would be the slighty more exotic sports car. I get looks and compliments everywhere I go. I wouldn't trade this car for the world. If you're looking for something sporty, that also makes a great daily driver, then the Honda Prelude is definitely for you. It's fast, it's fun, and it's beautiful. What else could you ask for?

Favorite Features

Everything! There's nothing I don't love about this car!

Suggested Improvements

A 6th gear would of been a great improvement. Would love to see the Prelude brought back today.

Great bang for the buck
By Pete

2000 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

Today (1/26/05) is my fifth anniversary with this car. It has 50,790 miles, and hasn't given me a minute's trouble. 24 mpg minimum, and a lot of the time it gets 26.5 mpg. I think it's a very attractive car, perfect for short commutes. My only gripe is that it is not a very comfortable car, it's noisy, and the ride is a little rough. I can last 30 minutes at a time before I feel the need to get out and stretch. I'll be trading for something more comfortable and more useful. This is flashy personal transportation that handles well. Enough room for a week's groceries in the trunk. No room in the back seat for adults, so forget it, just fold the seat down and leave it that way.

Favorite Features

Good looks, great handling, flip-down seat.

Suggested Improvements

No point in making suggestions, Honda discontinued the Prelude. It needed better seats and a telescoping steering wheel.

Automatic trans...bad idea
By PJBurr

2000 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

Love the car, but big mistake buying an automatic trans. Bought car in April, trans burned out in June, I'm in my late 30's so the car is stock and I drive normal. Honda replaced the trans under warranty, told me it was around $5500. Too bad, should of bought the 5 speed

Favorite Features

Everything but the automatic transmisson, especially the double wishbone suspension, very rare on todays cars.

Suggested Improvements

TRANS, TRANS, TRANS. Paint is a little thin also, prone to rock chips.

Best Car Ever
By ManoMan

2000 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

The Honda Prelude is one of the best cars to come out of Japan. EVER!!!!

Nothing Better!
By nandini

2000 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I have always trusted Honda cars, but the Prelude!!! Oh Lord! it is a DREAM. It hugs corners like you wouldn't believe living in the Bay Area I have to cross bridges constantly. Although the Prelude is considered a smaller car the design of the car makes it possible to drive right though the wind on the briges and no more shaking. Even though it is a sports car I actually feel safer because it is heavier and the aerodynamics are prefect for driving in high wind ares. I feel sorry for those who are foolish enough to drive anything else! This is a car I will keep for the ages! THANK YOU HONDA!

Favorite Features

The aerodynamics. One HELL of a sound system! Large trunk for a "small" car.

Suggested Improvements

BRING BACK THE ASHTRAYS & LIGHTERS!

Honda Lude Review
By wkaisers

2000 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

This is an excellent car and a shame Honda stopped production of the Prelude. A great used car and fortuneately for prospective buyers, good deals are out there for low- mileage Preludes.

Favorite Features

Leather stick-shift. Racing suspension for making turns. Sleek body styling.

Suggested Improvements

The dash should have been more "modern" in design. A little disappointment here.

Once is never enough
By beartraper

2000 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I bought a '97 Lude when it was new and loved it for two years. I later needed more room so I traded it in. Now that I'm looking for a used second car, I'm back. I bought a 'oo model and it's like going back in time - just as I remembered. I'm amazed at how this car has held it's value. It's a timeless design that will never look old and the best sports coupe in its class. Add in the reliability and there's no competition for this car.

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, power

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back!!! I want a new one. The RSX is no substitute.

FUN FUN FUN
By hotinhere

2000 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

Fun to drive. Utterly reliable. Handles like a dream. Complete strangers offer compliments on it. Suprisingly comfortable on long trips with two adults. Best sports car for the money.

Favorite Features

exterior, handling.

Suggested Improvements

Start making them again. Interior could be nicer/fancier.