Used 1999 Honda Prelude Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

1999 Honda Prelude

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

prelude sh forever
By greatludeSH

1999 Honda Prelude Type SH 2dr Coupe

I've been driving prelude SH a year now and everyday always put a smile on my face. I guess i dont need a face lift anymore, naturally it lift everytime i drive it, lol. I am at my 50's and this machine keeps me young. At 259,000 mileages there's no major work done into it except for regular maintenance of course. I drive it hard and revving high once in a while and this machine doesn't frustrate you. It goes on and on and on... the sexy body, the beauty of reliability, the perfection of stick shift is worth every penny. Bought it 6 grand but its worth it. No headache. If u find one, grab it. You'll love it the rest of your life, but don't trade your wife though,lol. Honda bring it back...

Favorite Features

the 200 HP, stick shift, the curve, the sexy body, the engine, the sun/moon roof, the a/c, the pleasure to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The radio.

Honda Prelude
By anthony

1999 Honda Prelude Type SH 2dr Coupe

Bought this car brand new right of the boat, they actually just unloaded it on the lot, bought it with 3 miles on it, the 3 miles I put on the car test driving it. It is too bad Honda cannot built a decent electric car that looks like this. They need to pay more attention to Tesla motors and get away from the electric cars that look like boxes with wheels on them

Prelude SH - saved my life
By Wedge

1999 Honda Prelude Type SH 2dr Coupe

Recently, I was clipped from the passenger side behind by a tractor trailer cab which was spinning in a hydroplane. This was in a rainstorm at freeway speeds. I did 2 360 clockwise spins before coming to a stop. The prelude SH suspension and ATTS saved my life as I steered into the spin and avoided a 2nd clip by the counter spinning truck cab. So here is where the 80% power transfer to auto steer the outside front wheel occurs. Most of the time one hardly notices the SH, but I did about 3 Gs and maintained steering with my front wheels while the rear spun about. Worth all the prior gear shifts during slow commuter traffic.

Favorite Features

Life-saving performance.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder is worthless and results in spills all the time.

Classic Sport
By Gock

1999 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

This car is excellent for those looking for something fun. Although the interior is bland and the car is a portly weight, it's mostly a silent killer. A little heavy to take 90 degree turns with ease, but if you take it on a curvy backroad, you see its true power. Take it on a sharp curve at speeds even a WRX would be scared of and the Prelude laughs at the curve and eats it for breakfast. Interstate driving is like a cakewalk for this car, easily passing any car with a quick downshift or two. Stop- and-go driving is a little boggy but still spirited. Also very quiet! The added reliability and high-quality materials make this car a smart buy for anyone wanting something fun!

Favorite Features

Vtech makes the car scream at high RPM's, Tiptronic shifting is gimmicky, but useful while racing and fun when just taking it out on a backroad cruise. With a good head unit, the speakers rock with clarity and have impressive bass. Lower than 90% of factory cars, improving handling.

Suggested Improvements

More radical styling inside and out, MAKE IT LIGHTER!, upgrade to a five speed automatic and maybe even a convertible version! Could be a good candidate for the next sports-hybrid production model.

Great car for everything
By Brian

1999 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

Though my Prelude was purchased as a daily driver, I later began driving it on local road courses and learned what the car was really about. Handling, speed, and comfort. The car has held up very well and still puts a smile on my face every time I drive it! I actually bought an old Accord so I wouldn't have to drive the Prelude in the winter in effort to preserve the its current condition.

Favorite Features

Engine, exterior and interior, especially the ergonomics.