Used 1998 Honda Prelude Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

1998 Honda Prelude Coupe

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

Prelude Love
By Morgan

1998 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my Prelude used at about 58K miles. Took her in recently for 105K service and still going strong. While the ride can be stiff, you get excellent road feel. The rougher ride dosent seem to matter on long trips. After driving a rental recently I really missed my precise handling and road hugging Prelude. Great long-term reliability. Fun to commute to work in or tool about town in on a lazy weekend.

Favorite Features

This car has unique styling. Rides well even over long drives. Extremely fun to drive, hugs corners tight. Great brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Less cabin noise, functional back seat for passengers or just call it what it is - a 2-seat coupe. Great road feel can mean a bouncy ride.

1998 Honda Prelude
By rusty_toes

1998 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

Purchased the car just under a month ago, and am still impressed by the overall quality of this 'Lude. The 5th gen is by far better looking than the 4th gen. Most the editor reviews will tell you the interior and exterior are lacking on the 5th gen. I could not disagree more! If nothing else, choose the 5th gen over the 4th because the 5th comes stock with vtec. I am not impressed by gimmicky features, and this car has none of those. It is a sports car. If you want something with plenty of room, get a 4 door accord. the Prelude I own has just over 110,000 miles on it, as far as I know it has not had any major mechanical work done.

Favorite Features

vtec. Front seats. Overall performance and handling - above 4000 rpm the H22 screams, the car sticks to the road like glue. Overall exterior styling - the 5th gen went back to the 3rd gen design after slumping sales in the 4th gen - way to go Honda!

Suggested Improvements

Rear leg room. Lumbar support. More low end torque - the slowest part of acceleration is from 0-15 mph. More cargo space. Higher 5th gear - the engine does 3000 rpm @ 60 mph - kinda high for fuel economy. Lower 1st - 3rd gears - @ 7000 rpm in 3rd you're already doing 90 mph.

Fun Car!
By CGR

1998 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

I just bought a '98 base Prelude because I was bored of the family sedan... and this car isn't boring! It's VTEC system with a relative lack of low-end torque is like having 2 cars - the first is the low revving economical commute happy at 2k, and it is equally happy up to 7k scaring the pants off you at how quickly you reached "too fast". It feels heavy to me, as if I shouldn't try throwing it around - but when I do I never get into trouble! There may be better cars than the Prelude, but I doubt many will give you this kind of fun for the same price.

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior styling, high- end power, solid feel. Engine is happy at any number of revs.

Suggested Improvements

Low end torque would make it even better. Larger numbers on speedo so that I know to stop accelerating when wife isn't in the car. Driver controlled passenger airbag to keep my wife quiet.

Excellent sport touring car
By m610

1998 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought it new in 1998 and 8 years later I still love it. Fun to drive on trips and at the track. Very reliable. Have had minimal repair issues, significant considering my 25+ HPDE's. Basic suspension mods really helped the already excellent sport driving performance, and a Quaife LSD has been a good investment. Will hold 0.9+ G's in a flat turn, and can reach 150 mph without much trouble. Impresses the BMW and STI drivers and can hang with much higher rated cars in the turns. Best looking and most elegant styling of Honda ever. Ford and others have recently picked up its more notable styling elements.

Favorite Features

Handling, styling, reliability. Street driving was excellent, but track driving has been better than I could have hoped for from a $21k FWD 2.2L car. Regarding handling, several passengers have told me "my car could never have done that".On top of all this, driving it is still very affordable.

Suggested Improvements

More room in the fenders for wider tires. Stronger brakes and air ducting to help with heat build-up, lower seats or higher roof for more headroom, more CARB-legal aftermarket support, tuneable ECU, seats that provide better lateral support, redesign the autotensioner.

1998 Prelude (Honda)
By jamie

1998 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

This car has been the best I have ever owned (of 8). I am thinking of replacing it on the 'before'....other experiences say it should have problems now. it doesn't and hasn't. It has no major competitor IMHO...I guess because Prelude is not built anymore I have to go to Accura RXS-S. The Prelude is quick, the handling is superb, it almost goes sideways, it is a constant pleasure to drive.

Favorite Features

Handling, reliability, well organized driver controls, features included that would be higher cost 'options' in other brands.

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar support, moon roof spoiler, oil pressure gauge not there?...maybe I don't need it but I like one.