1997 Honda Prelude Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

1997 Prelude Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

Sort Reviews by

97 Prelude
By Krisl20

1997 Honda Prelude Type SH 2dr Coupe

Great car. Little slow off the line but when that V-tech kicks in there is some power. Very reliable car just like any other honda made. Awesome gas mileage and a great looking car. A little uncomfortable for me being 6'1" Knees hit the side where the CD player is located.

Favorite Features

Great look Great handling Great pickup after you hit 5000 RPM

Suggested Improvements

Interior is boring compared to the previous 92-96 Preludes

97 HONDA PRELUDE
By DAVID

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

MY WIFE AND I BOUGHT THIS CAR NEW. IT HAS BEEN A OK CAR. WE HAVE HAD SOME PROBLEMS WITH IT. SINCE NEW WE HAVE PUT 2 RACK AND PINIONS,TRANSMISSION,AND HAVE HAD SERVICE LOOK AT THE SUN ROOF MANY TIMES FOR SLOW OPENING.

Favorite Features

THE CAR IS A FUN CAR TO DRIVE AND HANDLES THE ROAD GREAT. WE HAVE TAKEN IT MANY ROAD TRIPS. MY WIFE LOVES IT AND WILL NOT SELL IT ANYTIME SOON.

Suggested Improvements

THE TRANS IS VERY SULGISH WHEN TAKING OFF OR COMING TO A YEALD. WHEN ROLING AT LOW SPEEDS, IT WILL DOWN SHIFT TO 2ND GEAR INSTEAD OF 1ST EVEN AT 3MPH. THE INT IS ALSO RATTLING LOOSE.

i miss my prelude
By bluemerle

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

Drove it for six years and loved it. Just bought an SUV and wish i still had a fun fast car. Not one single mechanical problem in six years! Amazing.

Favorite Features

style. speed. v-tech.

Suggested Improvements

better audio.

Amazing
By PreludeEh

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

Great first car. Great perfromance and handling! Extremely reliable, a lot of fun to drive and decent fuel economy.

Favorite Features

Handling Sound of the VTEC

Suggested Improvements

Weight Was discontinued

excellent
By Kristin Nelson

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

Overall I like my car, it has held up well considering the miles I have put on it. I did have it in the shop for over 3 days for an ignition recall that honda did not inform me of and the dealer was unaware of. This has been my only down fall.

Favorite Features

speed shifter and sunroof

Great Handling but not very quick
By fishboy

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

This car feels like it is on rails going into a turn. It is the best handling car I have ever driven and can do some amazing things even in the rain. The ride is very nice, not jarring. Having driven V8 engined cars exclusively prior to this car I do miss the torque of a strong motor. The 2.2 puts out a lot of power for it's size but that power doesn't come on until 5,000 rpm. It is hard to get a good launch off the line because you either spin the tires or you end up waiting for the rpms to hit the vtec range. Not a great straight line vehicle. The engine is very smooth even up the 8,000 rpm fuel cutoff.

Favorite Features

Ride, handling, and smooth shifting are hard to beat.

Suggested Improvements

Needs more horsepower to make it more exciting. Could use a telescoping steering column. I'm 6 ft and when I adjust correctly for the pedals the steering wheel is a long stretch. Visibility is only fair (one reason why I got in an accident). Headroom is non- existent for tall people.

owner
By gemini0229

best car I've eve owned

Good Car
By M2SEWELL

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

My Honda Prelude has been a very good car. I have had no serious problems and it is very fun to drive. I like the quickness of this car.

Favorite Features

Vtech

Suggested Improvements

Maybe make it even faster. Also, have aluminum trim inside.

Prelude Type SH with ATTS is amazing!
By tilenius

1997 Honda Prelude Type SH 2dr Coupe

I've had my Honda Prelude Type SH for almost 6 years now and LOVE it! It's been a joy to drive every day! Honda's Active Torque Transfer System is truly amazing! This comes only on the Type SH model. This feature basically makes the OUTSIDE wheels on a turn go FASTER than the inside wheels, and can transfer up to 80% of the torque to those wheels. The result is almost NO understeer and amazing road-hugging ability. This has to be one of the best-handling cars on the market. It's been 100% reliable, no problems, except a slight rattle around the moonroof. Honda is so incredibly reliable!

Favorite Features

The Type SH with its Active Torque Transfer System (ATTS) makes this car hug the road better than ANY other car I've ever driven. You can go around curves and never slow down, with almost NO slip!

Suggested Improvements

More headroom would be nice... it's a little cramped for tall drivers (I'm 6' 1" and am fine, but would love an extra inch or two of headroom).

Can hold its own agains most cars
By rlee

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

Hi y'all, My parents bought me my first car 2 years ago, a brand spanken new prelude in black. This car is great. Acceleration is good, handling is superb and it looks great. I think this car is best in its class, u can even compare its performance to bmw's and benz's coupes. The build quality is excellent. the sastisfaction of a pure manual...its too bad they stope making them..oh well, i guess that makes them more unique.

Favorite Features

-tiptronic, its almost as good as a pure manual; the handling is great b/c of increased body rigidity, and it looks so unique.

Suggested Improvements

-increase torque, either add a turbo or make it a v6