Used 1997 Honda Prelude Base Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Prelude Coupe

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

A Honda Classic Keeper
By jleyton

1997 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

I purchased a 1997 in 2010 (I think) with 90k miles on it. yes, the previous owner had a couple of fender benders, probably drove it hard as the wheels were bent, etc., but overall, this baby still rides great. The service reps at the Honda dealer i go to are always complimenting the car... always. "It's clean man. It drives clean. Nice one!" I've only had to do maintenance on the car. This Prelude Base is dang fun to drive. I have been wanting a RWD vehicle for years, still yet to have one, but this FWD Prelude is difficult to let go. Honda means reliability and good performance for your money. It's not the fastest, but the VTEC will give you tons of pleasure!

Favorite Features

VTEC! Body styling! View out of the front is excellent, as well as rear view. Simplicity but yet fun. Just wish it was rear wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Too bad it's not a rear wheel drive vehicle, but it still handles well. Perhaps a bit more low end torque, but that's typical with any Honda.

There's not another car I want more.
By Heather

1997 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my car used w/ 75,000 miles already on it. It is now at 239,000 w/ the bottom end rebuilt at 100,000 due to driving through high water. It is still reliable & all features work. I absolutely love the styling/appearance & I can't find another car that I like as much to purchase. When it finally dies, I think I'm just going to put in a new engine & transmission & keep driving. By far, the best vehicle purchase I've ever made.

Favorite Features

Comfy interior w/ everything easily in reach of the driver (unlike most sedans); fabulous styling & reliability

Love my Lude
By Silver_97

1997 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

I bought my Prelude a few months ago. It was very well maintained. Apart from a few flaws on the hood which look like someone spilled brake fluid... It was nearly perfect. I have had no mechanical problems. No problems at all for that matter, and this is a 10 yr old car! The interior is very comfortable, and I have no rattles. Very fun when vtec engages!

Favorite Features

Styling, vtec, Manumatic, handling.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more power would be nice, but that's always the case. I would like a 5th gear in the auto version. They are spaced too far apart to do vtec-to- vtec shifts.

Nearly ten years old, yet Fantastic
By Matt

1997 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

I got this car 2 years ago with about 97k miles on ,but it felt new. The one thing that cost my attention was it's unique look compared to other hondas. I bought this car for about 8k and for the price its probably the most rounded sports coupe(except for maybe an integra gs-r). The 2.2l vtec engine runs strong and pushes this car to 60mph in about 7 sec, Car and driver did it in 6.7! This car is very fun to drive daily and handles very well. EPA mileage seems low ,but it depends on driving. I achieved. about 25-26 city and 30mpg highway(5spd.) This is great for a first car and even for a weekend car.

Favorite Features

vtec, styling, handling, price, and the ride, optional lip kit(Recommended)

Suggested Improvements

Japanese Version Engine(Higher compression, better exhaust, and diff cams)=222hp, slightly better mileage especially during these times, standard lip kit, 17 inch wheels, lsd, and weight reduction. <----Just in case they want to bring the Prelude back.

5th Gen 'lude, Honda hits another homer!
By Chris

1997 Honda Prelude Coupe 2dr Coupe

I owned an 87 Prelude that was tons of fun, drove several friends 3rd and 4th gens, and this week finally got behind the wheel of a 5th Gen... my own :) I just picked it up last week and the first time behind the wheel i was instantly grinning over that classic prelude feel. My car has 139000 miles on it and seems to run and handle like the day it rolled off the line. The styling has caught my eye everytime I've seen one for the past 10 years, but with other car projects always in the works, I never had an opportunity to buy one. Better late than never tho, at least now I get a chance to enjoy what Ive been missing! Great looks, great handling, great power! Too bad it's the end of an era

Favorite Features

Silk smooth manual trans, confident suspension for the twisty roads, I just love how everything in the car is about driving. The car was clearly designed to be driven!

Suggested Improvements

Not that it's a big deal, but because I'm not into spending money on aftermarket audio systems for a car, it would be nice if the factory audio system were a little richer sounding. But really, there isn't much else, seeing as the car is near-perfect