1997 Honda Prelude Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

1997 Prelude Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

Sort Reviews by

A Honda Classic Keeper
By jleyton

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I purchased a 1997 in 2010 (I think) with 90k miles on it. yes, the previous owner had a couple of fender benders, probably drove it hard as the wheels were bent, etc., but overall, this baby still rides great. The service reps at the Honda dealer i go to are always complimenting the car... always. "It's clean man. It drives clean. Nice one!" I've only had to do maintenance on the car. This Prelude Base is dang fun to drive. I have been wanting a RWD vehicle for years, still yet to have one, but this FWD Prelude is difficult to let go. Honda means reliability and good performance for your money. It's not the fastest, but the VTEC will give you tons of pleasure!

Favorite Features

VTEC! Body styling! View out of the front is excellent, as well as rear view. Simplicity but yet fun. Just wish it was rear wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Too bad it's not a rear wheel drive vehicle, but it still handles well. Perhaps a bit more low end torque, but that's typical with any Honda.

There's not another car I want more.
By Heather

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I bought my car used w/ 75,000 miles already on it. It is now at 239,000 w/ the bottom end rebuilt at 100,000 due to driving through high water. It is still reliable & all features work. I absolutely love the styling/appearance & I can't find another car that I like as much to purchase. When it finally dies, I think I'm just going to put in a new engine & transmission & keep driving. By far, the best vehicle purchase I've ever made.

Favorite Features

Comfy interior w/ everything easily in reach of the driver (unlike most sedans); fabulous styling & reliability

Love my Lude
By Silver_97

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I bought my Prelude a few months ago. It was very well maintained. Apart from a few flaws on the hood which look like someone spilled brake fluid... It was nearly perfect. I have had no mechanical problems. No problems at all for that matter, and this is a 10 yr old car! The interior is very comfortable, and I have no rattles. Very fun when vtec engages!

Favorite Features

Styling, vtec, Manumatic, handling.

Suggested Improvements

A bit more power would be nice, but that's always the case. I would like a 5th gear in the auto version. They are spaced too far apart to do vtec-to- vtec shifts.

Nearly ten years old, yet Fantastic
By Matt

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I got this car 2 years ago with about 97k miles on ,but it felt new. The one thing that cost my attention was it's unique look compared to other hondas. I bought this car for about 8k and for the price its probably the most rounded sports coupe(except for maybe an integra gs-r). The 2.2l vtec engine runs strong and pushes this car to 60mph in about 7 sec, Car and driver did it in 6.7! This car is very fun to drive daily and handles very well. EPA mileage seems low ,but it depends on driving. I achieved. about 25-26 city and 30mpg highway(5spd.) This is great for a first car and even for a weekend car.

Favorite Features

vtec, styling, handling, price, and the ride, optional lip kit(Recommended)

Suggested Improvements

Japanese Version Engine(Higher compression, better exhaust, and diff cams)=222hp, slightly better mileage especially during these times, standard lip kit, 17 inch wheels, lsd, and weight reduction. <----Just in case they want to bring the Prelude back.

5th Gen 'lude, Honda hits another homer!
By Chris

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I owned an 87 Prelude that was tons of fun, drove several friends 3rd and 4th gens, and this week finally got behind the wheel of a 5th Gen... my own :) I just picked it up last week and the first time behind the wheel i was instantly grinning over that classic prelude feel. My car has 139000 miles on it and seems to run and handle like the day it rolled off the line. The styling has caught my eye everytime I've seen one for the past 10 years, but with other car projects always in the works, I never had an opportunity to buy one. Better late than never tho, at least now I get a chance to enjoy what Ive been missing! Great looks, great handling, great power! Too bad it's the end of an era

Favorite Features

Silk smooth manual trans, confident suspension for the twisty roads, I just love how everything in the car is about driving. The car was clearly designed to be driven!

Suggested Improvements

Not that it's a big deal, but because I'm not into spending money on aftermarket audio systems for a car, it would be nice if the factory audio system were a little richer sounding. But really, there isn't much else, seeing as the car is near-perfect

One of the best car Honda came out with
By Pha

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

This is the car I wanted ever since it came out in 1997. Now I finally have one. I use to have a 92 civic hatchback vx with a swap and it can't even compare to my prelude. The prelude handles better, looks better, and has the power all in one. I get compliments on it all the time. It's not a car you see everyday on the road. And it's not a car everyone has like a civic, integra, or accord. Buy one you won't regret it.

Favorite Features

Vtec, moonroof, a/c, cruise control(I use this alot on long trips), and power doorlocks and windows.

Suggested Improvements

Better cup holders and speakers.

Lude View
By Kayla

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

This car in my opinion is wonderful. If you take care of it, not many things are going to go wrong over the years. I mean yes the interior isn't the most stylih around,but if it bothers the owner that bad they can have it modified. Sometimes the parts tend to be a little more pricy that others, but all well worth it, i mean again it is a Honda. The gas is good, but it takes the most expensive kind, which burns slower and lasts longer! Overall...I LOVE my car!

Favorite Features

The flat lights and crome "Prelude" emblem on the back gets me! Also the sporttronic shifter is fun to drive with!

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I would suggest is better stereo quality and leather seats, which were not offered in this year model in hondas effort to reduce prices of their new cars!

Very Underrated
By freuger

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I recently bought my Honda Prelude and it is by far the best car I've ever owned. Stock Preludes are decent to look at, but when you stick a good looking body kit on, this car gleams. I have had so many compliments on this car that sometimes I literally have to excuse myself from them in leiu of having to leave! Stock, this engine pushes out 195hp and from a 4 banger! Just imagine what a super charger or turbo and some bolt ons could do to this, a turbo alone could probably push it into the 300hp range. Stock exhaust sounds great on this machine, and the limited slip differential tranny makes this car have the smoothest shifting in any manual I've driven. You wont regret buying a Prelude

Favorite Features

195 hp out of a 4 cylinder, awesome transmission, great looks inside and out, Honda quality that lasts and lasts.

Suggested Improvements

It is a bit on the heavy side. This car wants you to drive it fast, and so you use a lot more gas in it than is usual for a four banger. But, if you need a fuel economic sports car, don't rule it out, it will still get at least 22mpg.

Another Great Honda
By boundsn

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

This car was great. The only thing keeping you from driving it 100,000 miles in one trip would be having to stop for gas and oil! The interior is beautiful and wonderfully laid out. The 5 speed was one of the best cable- driven shifters I've ever had my hands on. The engine feels like an import big block, and makes all those other FWD cars feel puny and diminutive. Real road presense too.

Favorite Features

The engine is inspiring and everything inside the car is masterfully crafted. The looks never grow old and the stereo is one of the best Honda stereos made!

Suggested Improvements

All it needs is a driveshaft to be a great sporty car!

Needed Work But I Still Love My Prelude
By ilovemyprelude

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I bought my Prelude new. It has been a great car, however I just spent $3K on a re-built transmission at 75,000 miles and the moon roof just started to go last weekend. I still receive tons of compliments on the car and have had several offers to buy it. In fact, when I was shopping around for the transmission work I had three offers to buy it. Everyone says the V-tech is fast, but it seems a little slow to me. I don't get great gas milage either. It's been a great car and I still love it, but I am a little disappointed with the transmission.

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior design. I purchased the perma-plate paint protection when I bought the car and it worked great as the paint still shines as if it were new.

Suggested Improvements

What's up with needing a new transmission after $75,000 miles? I have to say I am a little disappointed.