Used 1997 Honda Prelude Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

1997 Honda Prelude

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

A Honda Classic Keeper
By jleyton

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I purchased a 1997 in 2010 (I think) with 90k miles on it. yes, the previous owner had a couple of fender benders, probably drove it hard as the wheels were bent, etc., but overall, this baby still rides great. The service reps at the Honda dealer i go to are always complimenting the car... always. "It's clean man. It drives clean. Nice one!" I've only had to do maintenance on the car. This Prelude Base is dang fun to drive. I have been wanting a RWD vehicle for years, still yet to have one, but this FWD Prelude is difficult to let go. Honda means reliability and good performance for your money. It's not the fastest, but the VTEC will give you tons of pleasure!

Favorite Features

VTEC! Body styling! View out of the front is excellent, as well as rear view. Simplicity but yet fun. Just wish it was rear wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Too bad it's not a rear wheel drive vehicle, but it still handles well. Perhaps a bit more low end torque, but that's typical with any Honda.

Nothing comes close
By Pluded

1997 Honda Prelude Type SH 2dr Coupe

I bought my SH brand new and basically drove the wheels off of it. It is by far, the best handling vehicle I have ever driven. It was more than enough power and the engine is a true gem. The drive train is refined and a step above anything in the Honda lineup even till this day. The Acura TSX/RSX comes close but I still prefer the Prelude overall. I sold it with over 300K and have regretted it ever since. I am currently looking for another one! If you have a chance to pick one up..just do it.

Favorite Features

Handling, engine, styling and refinement.

Suggested Improvements

Honda, just make a new one!! I'll be the first in line.

There's not another car I want more.
By Heather

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I bought my car used w/ 75,000 miles already on it. It is now at 239,000 w/ the bottom end rebuilt at 100,000 due to driving through high water. It is still reliable & all features work. I absolutely love the styling/appearance & I can't find another car that I like as much to purchase. When it finally dies, I think I'm just going to put in a new engine & transmission & keep driving. By far, the best vehicle purchase I've ever made.

Favorite Features

Comfy interior w/ everything easily in reach of the driver (unlike most sedans); fabulous styling & reliability

1997 Type SH
By Jerry

1997 Honda Prelude Type SH 2dr Coupe

I purchased my type SH new in 1997. I just put a new clutch in at 239,500 or so miles. The interior is like new. I need to address some very minor rust on rear wheel wells and that is all. I had to extend my clutch petal by an inch or so to make the car more comfortable. Other than that I love this car. It is so comfortable and fun to drive and gets 26 MPG at very aggressive driving speeds. If you can find one that has been taken care of buy it.

Favorite Features

Styling, comfort, power.

Suggested Improvements

remove the tail end of the speedometer needle. At highway speed it covers one digit of the odometer. A six speed would be nice.

Its my 2nd Prelude!
By Dana

1997 Honda Prelude Type SH 2dr Coupe

No one believes my car is a '97! I try to keep it in great shape and definitely keep it serviced. If only I could keep those SUV folks from running me off the road since they don't see me "down here", life in my Prelude would be perfect! But what am I to do when its time to retire this one, since Honda pulled production?? Hopefully that day won't come anytime soon...

Favorite Features

That engine, of course! The wide stance grabs the road and hangs on even on curvy curves...

Suggested Improvements

Uh, put it back into production, maybe?