1997 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:
A Honda Classic Keeper
By jleyton on 08/03/11 06:35 AM (PDT)

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I purchased a 1997 in 2010 (I think) with 90k miles on it. yes, the previous owner had a couple of fender benders, probably drove it hard as the wheels were bent, etc., but overall, this baby still rides great. The service reps at the Honda dealer i go to are always complimenting the car... always. "It's clean man. It drives clean. Nice one!" I've only had to do maintenance on the car. This Prelude Base is dang fun to drive. I have been wanting a RWD vehicle for years, still yet to have one, but this FWD Prelude is difficult to let go. Honda means reliability and good performance for your money. It's not the fastest, but the VTEC will give you tons of pleasure!

Nothing comes close
By Pluded on 04/07/10 18:10 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Prelude Type SH 2dr Coupe

I bought my SH brand new and basically drove the wheels off of it. It is by far, the best handling vehicle I have ever driven. It was more than enough power and the engine is a true gem. The drive train is refined and a step above anything in the Honda lineup even till this day. The Acura TSX/RSX comes close but I still prefer the Prelude overall. I sold it with over 300K and have regretted it ever since. I am currently looking for another one! If you have a chance to pick one up..just do it.

There's not another car I want more.
By Heather on 03/07/09 22:11 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I bought my car used w/ 75,000 miles already on it. It is now at 239,000 w/ the bottom end rebuilt at 100,000 due to driving through high water. It is still reliable & all features work. I absolutely love the styling/appearance & I can't find another car that I like as much to purchase. When it finally dies, I think I'm just going to put in a new engine & transmission & keep driving. By far, the best vehicle purchase I've ever made.

1997 Type SH
By Jerry on 07/30/08 15:33 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Prelude Type SH 2dr Coupe

I purchased my type SH new in 1997. I just put a new clutch in at 239,500 or so miles. The interior is like new. I need to address some very minor rust on rear wheel wells and that is all. I had to extend my clutch petal by an inch or so to make the car more comfortable. Other than that I love this car. It is so comfortable and fun to drive and gets 26 MPG at very aggressive driving speeds. If you can find one that has been taken care of buy it.

Its my 2nd Prelude!
By Dana on 12/23/06 14:48 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Prelude Type SH 2dr Coupe

No one believes my car is a '97! I try to keep it in great shape and definitely keep it serviced. If only I could keep those SUV folks from running me off the road since they don't see me "down here", life in my Prelude would be perfect! But what am I to do when its time to retire this one, since Honda pulled production?? Hopefully that day won't come anytime soon...

Love my Lude
By Silver_97 on 11/09/06 08:06 AM (PST)

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I bought my Prelude a few months ago. It was very well maintained. Apart from a few flaws on the hood which look like someone spilled brake fluid... It was nearly perfect. I have had no mechanical problems. No problems at all for that matter, and this is a 10 yr old car! The interior is very comfortable, and I have no rattles. Very fun when vtec engages!

Nearly ten years old, yet Fantastic
By Matt on 09/12/06 14:02 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I got this car 2 years ago with about 97k miles on ,but it felt new. The one thing that cost my attention was it's unique look compared to other hondas. I bought this car for about 8k and for the price its probably the most rounded sports coupe(except for maybe an integra gs-r). The 2.2l vtec engine runs strong and pushes this car to 60mph in about 7 sec, Car and driver did it in 6.7! This car is very fun to drive daily and handles very well. EPA mileage seems low ,but it depends on driving. I achieved. about 25-26 city and 30mpg highway(5spd.) This is great for a first car and even for a weekend car.

5th Gen 'lude, Honda hits another homer!
By Chris on 02/26/06 16:13 PM (PST)

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

I owned an 87 Prelude that was tons of fun, drove several friends 3rd and 4th gens, and this week finally got behind the wheel of a 5th Gen... my own :) I just picked it up last week and the first time behind the wheel i was instantly grinning over that classic prelude feel. My car has 139000 miles on it and seems to run and handle like the day it rolled off the line. The styling has caught my eye everytime I've seen one for the past 10 years, but with other car projects always in the works, I never had an opportunity to buy one. Better late than never tho, at least now I get a chance to enjoy what Ive been missing! Great looks, great handling, great power! Too bad it's the end of an era

Amazing Vehicle to Own!
By Lance Richards on 08/04/05 16:55 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Prelude Type SH 2dr Coupe

My Prelude is just un-describable!! I purchased this car with 119,000 miles on it and it performs like it has 19,000. It's amazingly clean and will last me years to come! So go out and buy one A.S.A.P you wont regret it!!

One of the best car Honda came out with
By Pha on 07/17/05 13:11 PM (PDT)

1997 Honda Prelude 2dr Coupe

This is the car I wanted ever since it came out in 1997. Now I finally have one. I use to have a 92 civic hatchback vx with a swap and it can't even compare to my prelude. The prelude handles better, looks better, and has the power all in one. I get compliments on it all the time. It's not a car you see everyday on the road. And it's not a car everyone has like a civic, integra, or accord. Buy one you won't regret it.