Used 1996 Honda Prelude VTEC Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

VTEC 2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (7 reviews )

Most Helpful|
My Prelude VTEC
By Brian K.

1996 Honda Prelude VTEC VTEC 2dr Coupe

I really love this car. It is very fun to drive, it's comfortable on long trips, and even somewhat practical. I've driven it on a race track, and it kept me on top of more than few Corvette C5s. The engine is sweet, the transmission is one of the best I've ever sampled, and the handling is supurb for a FWD vehicle. Also, fuel economy is acceptable, and the reliability is bulletproof. The interior is very roomy (I'm 6'5" and I fit fine). The design is a bit controversial, but I love it, and so do all of my friends. If you have the chance, get one. You will not be disappointed. I plan on driving mine until it dies, then I'll rebuild it and drive it more.

Favorite Features

Punchy, high revving engine, tranny, interior design and comfort, responsive handling. VTEC version is very rare, but definitely worth the extra money.

Suggested Improvements

6 speed instead of 5, RWD and about 40 more HP, less weight, slightly more side bolstering on the seats.

Perfect Car for me
By dezern

1996 Honda Prelude VTEC VTEC 2dr Coupe

When I was younger my friends all wanted a prelude, but i was too young to car except in video games, but when I got my Prelude I fell in love with it. Reliable, beautiful styling and scary fast after a little bit of work. I would reccomend this car to anyone who asked. She's a beautiful car, inside and out

Favorite Features

I love the power from the VTEC system. When you drive down the road normally, you can feel like you're driving a regular Accord or Civic, but slam the gas and the VTEC makes you feel like you've swapped the engine. I love the styling of the car as well. It has a mean look from the front end, and I like the headlights much more than the 5th gen lude's

First Car, and Never Regretted It
By NewPreludeOwner

1996 Honda Prelude VTEC VTEC 2dr Coupe

Bought this car in July of '09 from a fellow service member. Never regretted it. Fun as hell to drive, extremely reliable, and I bought it with over 129k miles on it! It seems I had the extreme luck to purchase the VTEC, and it was well worth the $3500 I paid for it! No engine problems, only had to fix the brakes because of a broken after-market caliper and change out two gaskets on the exhaust system from aftermarket headers. No problems with the original vehicle! A great car to those who are looking for one, and I plan on keeping this thing for years! Smooth 5-Speed, responsive engine, and with some aftermarket upgrades, 29 average MGP! Keep in mind I drive 60 miles to and from college.

Favorite Features

Awesome VTEC engine, extremely responsive. Great gas mileage with some aftermarket upgrades (headers, radiator, air intake, etc.), digital and analogue instrument panels, great reliability, smooth 5-speed, great A/C and heating, leather seats for the VTEC!

Suggested Improvements

Leather seats could be more grippy, digital gas gauge could be more accurate, but it does its job without problems at all.

nice ride
By boomer01987

looks good , rides nice , plenty fast

Favorite Features

the V-Tec H22 engine

Suggested Improvements

more factory horsepower

Build them again Honda!
By Go4it

1996 Honda Prelude VTEC VTEC 2dr Coupe

Bought the car new in 1996. Have had NO trouble in eight years. Car runs great, handles great could use another 50 horses though to make it perfect.

Favorite Features

VTEC engine, interior front layout, exterior styling, still looking good after 8 years and beats most new cars on the market.

Suggested Improvements

Honda needs to start building them again. Could use some more horsepower for us power lovers but goes plenty good already.