Used 1994 Honda Prelude Si Si Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Honda Prelude Si - Consumer Reviews

Si 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (14 reviews )

94 honda prelude si
By SteveD

1994 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

This car is a wonder to have. Unlike many cars this will keep you on the road for years. My H23 si has over 260,000 miles on it and still flied down the road with no problems, But just remember to change the timing belt before 100,000 miles or there could be a problem. On the good side I took the head off the engine and wow I couldn't believe how there was no sludge in the cylinder head. Great on gas I get 27 miles a gallon. Others say parts are expensive. No they are not. I get my clutch for 200 bucks not $1000 Honda is the way to go.

Trunk space is huge, seats are really comfortable, engine has awesome life

tail lights leak and cause condensation, rust forms on top of sun roof and on the rear fenders, useless backseats unless midgets ride along with you, really small glove box

Good advice from original owner of '94
By tru&onlytru

1994 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

And my advice to other '94 Prelude owners is to never give up this car. My advice to potential buyers is if you are lucky enough to find a Prelude for sale, buy it, fast, and on the first contact. I am looking at purchasing a Honda Element, but I am keeping my Prelude, currently with only 60K miles. This sounds low, but almost all miles are city driving instead of highway driving. Needless to say, I don't drive much except to and from work and a few errands weekly. My Prelude has let me down only once, and the mechanics warned me of the potential problem, before it happened. I repaired the car quickly.

It holds the road safely with no roll on turning and little chance of flipping this car. This is favorite feature. I feel safe and confident even if I have to abruptly dodge road debris at 65 MPH. Saved & safe! Other good features include exterior that still looks current, not dated.

Not much at all, but the darn cigarette lighter, even after repair, still doesn't work. Small problem; use match. Make my Honda last another 15 years, but at 54, my age, this Prelude may outlive me, and I will have to will it to some lucky, lucky person after I'm gone. I'll wait for it to find me.

Decent Value
By SevenBizzos

1994 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

I may have overpaid a bit for a mint, garage kept Si, but I definitely feel it was worth it. Even with the mileage in the 150k range, the maintenance for me has been minimal. For my daily vehicle, the power is adequate for passing and accelerating out of sight from annoying drivers. The handling is excellent. Car is light and easily maneuverable. MPG (with 10% ethanol fuel) have been from 26 with "spirited driving" to > 30 when gas was $4.50/gal and I was trying to drive efficiently.

Positives have been the performance, the fuel economy, and the overall integrity. The 205 tires are perfect. Seats hold you in place but probably wouldn't fit overweight people. Backseat is pretty useless (this is a positive to me). Parts are easy to find.

I'm not sure why premium fuel is required. Oil changes are complicated because the filter is immediately above the exhaust and a bit difficult to reach.

Wonderful car
By wsad

1994 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

Very fun to drive, the seats hold you nicely in place and offer enough support for long drives. Great leg and arm room in the front, but the back seats are somewhat lacking. The dashboard is very unique with energy meters representing the fuel level and engine temperature. All of the controls are in the right spots and you naturally seem to find them. The car sits pretty low to the ground but has large windows so visibility is still good. Pretty quick for a non- turbo 4-banger but still looks faster than it is. The Car does get good gas mileage (usually averages around 25) for its performance though. Front wheel drive is great, especially during winter (Chicagoland area).

The dashboard lights up very bright and can easily be seen even in the daytime. Still looks nicer than a lot of current sports cars even though its 10+ years old.

The backseat room is a joke and only one drink holder in front. The sunroof is nice but could be larger or maybe have a moonroof option. There is also only enough room for a sheet or two of paper in the glove box.

A Good Car, But Very Overpriced
By Dw2

1994 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

I wrote a review on this car over 2 years ago; since that time I have put 55k on it, and, granted I drive it very hard, the car is showing its age. Honestly, this car is good, but Euro cars (BMW) can walk circles around it in terms of comfort and performance, and, sadly for the Prelude, cost about the same. The adage of Hondas being cheaper to repair than other brands is a myth, in the last year I have put in an A/C Compressor ($1050), and a clutch ($1000) parts are obscenely expensive, and the car is nearly impossible to work on. This car is a fun, and it handles awesome, but is too expensive and uncomfortable, especially with a 3-series available for the same money.

Performance and handling, the steering is amazingly tight, the car is still solid at nearly 170k,

Price of parts/repair, a real pain to work on (this really goes for any FWD car though-not a Prelude trait.), cramped, uncomfortable and oddly styled interior, poor outside visibility.