1994 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:
It just won't quit!
By Satnel on 08/01/10 18:14 PM (PDT)

1994 Honda Prelude S 2dr Coupe

I bought my Prelude new off the lot with 59 miles on the odo at $18K. 16 years later it's still going! Only Honda dealers performed maintenance on the car for the first 10 years or so, and I used premium fuel at least once a month. I'm a stickler for getting the oil and air filters changed around 5000 miles, but usually sooner since I reached 300,000 miles late last year. :-) The car is still a dream to drive after only one timing belt change and 3 clutches. It's nice to be able breeze down the highway at 80+ MPH and she feels like she did back in '95. Only downside is the rust above my rear wheels. :-) Other than, I've certainly received my money's worth 3 times over.

94 honda prelude si
By SteveD on 07/16/10 19:44 PM (PDT)

1994 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

This car is a wonder to have. Unlike many cars this will keep you on the road for years. My H23 si has over 260,000 miles on it and still flied down the road with no problems, But just remember to change the timing belt before 100,000 miles or there could be a problem. On the good side I took the head off the engine and wow I couldn't believe how there was no sludge in the cylinder head. Great on gas I get 27 miles a gallon. Others say parts are expensive. No they are not. I get my clutch for 200 bucks not $1000 Honda is the way to go.

Good advice from original owner of '94
By tru&onlytru on 01/26/09 09:28 AM (PST)

1994 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

And my advice to other '94 Prelude owners is to never give up this car. My advice to potential buyers is if you are lucky enough to find a Prelude for sale, buy it, fast, and on the first contact. I am looking at purchasing a Honda Element, but I am keeping my Prelude, currently with only 60K miles. This sounds low, but almost all miles are city driving instead of highway driving. Needless to say, I don't drive much except to and from work and a few errands weekly. My Prelude has let me down only once, and the mechanics warned me of the potential problem, before it happened. I repaired the car quickly.

Decent Value
By SevenBizzos on 12/12/08 09:37 AM (PST)

1994 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

I may have overpaid a bit for a mint, garage kept Si, but I definitely feel it was worth it. Even with the mileage in the 150k range, the maintenance for me has been minimal. For my daily vehicle, the power is adequate for passing and accelerating out of sight from annoying drivers. The handling is excellent. Car is light and easily maneuverable. MPG (with 10% ethanol fuel) have been from 26 with "spirited driving" to > 30 when gas was $4.50/gal and I was trying to drive efficiently.

Good Honda! Good girl!
By JJ on 09/10/07 09:35 AM (PDT)

1994 Honda Prelude S 2dr Coupe

I bought my Prelude when it was 4 years old and had 30,000 miles on it. I knew I wanted that car the first time I test drove it, and I have not regretted buying it for even one second since I signed the contract. I love that it is a sporty, fun-to-drive car that handles well, but also has a good-sized trunk and gets 30 MPG (combined highway/city) consistently. I give her regular oil changes, and have had the timing belt/water pump replaced twice (at about 83000 mi, and again at 179000 mi). From what I understand about the engine construction, it is a very bad thing to wait for the timing belt to break, as you will then have to have a valve job too. With basic repairs, she runs & runs.

Wonderful car
By wsad on 06/03/05 20:19 PM (PDT)

1994 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

Very fun to drive, the seats hold you nicely in place and offer enough support for long drives. Great leg and arm room in the front, but the back seats are somewhat lacking. The dashboard is very unique with energy meters representing the fuel level and engine temperature. All of the controls are in the right spots and you naturally seem to find them. The car sits pretty low to the ground but has large windows so visibility is still good. Pretty quick for a non- turbo 4-banger but still looks faster than it is. The Car does get good gas mileage (usually averages around 25) for its performance though. Front wheel drive is great, especially during winter (Chicagoland area).

A Good Car, But Very Overpriced
By Dw2 on 11/13/04 20:53 PM (PST)

1994 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

I wrote a review on this car over 2 years ago; since that time I have put 55k on it, and, granted I drive it very hard, the car is showing its age. Honestly, this car is good, but Euro cars (BMW) can walk circles around it in terms of comfort and performance, and, sadly for the Prelude, cost about the same. The adage of Hondas being cheaper to repair than other brands is a myth, in the last year I have put in an A/C Compressor ($1050), and a clutch ($1000) parts are obscenely expensive, and the car is nearly impossible to work on. This car is a fun, and it handles awesome, but is too expensive and uncomfortable, especially with a 3-series available for the same money.

I love my lude!
By 94PreludeSR-V on 05/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Honda Prelude VTEC 2dr Coupe

the car is amazing, powerful, nice handling, pretty good factory speakers, nice shifting, looks damn beautiful cant say enuf about the car, ill never sell it unless its an NSX i am buying haha

toys
By Chris Campbell on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

the car that i bought has become the best car i have ever owned, being extreemly fun to drive.

Great car overall
By JC15 on 04/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

This is a great car; both fun and reliable. The space is a setback, but it's a fast car and the look is never outdated. I've had this car for 10 years and it's never let me down so far. Sad to see the Prelude discontinued, but much props to Honda for coming out with such a great car.