Used 1994 Honda Prelude Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1994 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

1994 Honda Prelude

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

It just won't quit!
By Satnel

1994 Honda Prelude S 2dr Coupe

I bought my Prelude new off the lot with 59 miles on the odo at $18K. 16 years later it's still going! Only Honda dealers performed maintenance on the car for the first 10 years or so, and I used premium fuel at least once a month. I'm a stickler for getting the oil and air filters changed around 5000 miles, but usually sooner since I reached 300,000 miles late last year. :-) The car is still a dream to drive after only one timing belt change and 3 clutches. It's nice to be able breeze down the highway at 80+ MPH and she feels like she did back in '95. Only downside is the rust above my rear wheels. :-) Other than, I've certainly received my money's worth 3 times over.

Favorite Features

Gear shift, dash, bucket seats, gear ratio, and gas mileage (37 mpg at 300,000 miles!)

Suggested Improvements

Car was discontinued, so it doesn't matter.

94 honda prelude si
By SteveD

1994 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

This car is a wonder to have. Unlike many cars this will keep you on the road for years. My H23 si has over 260,000 miles on it and still flied down the road with no problems, But just remember to change the timing belt before 100,000 miles or there could be a problem. On the good side I took the head off the engine and wow I couldn't believe how there was no sludge in the cylinder head. Great on gas I get 27 miles a gallon. Others say parts are expensive. No they are not. I get my clutch for 200 bucks not $1000 Honda is the way to go.

Favorite Features

Trunk space is huge, seats are really comfortable, engine has awesome life

Suggested Improvements

tail lights leak and cause condensation, rust forms on top of sun roof and on the rear fenders, useless backseats unless midgets ride along with you, really small glove box

Good advice from original owner of '94
By tru&onlytru

1994 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

And my advice to other '94 Prelude owners is to never give up this car. My advice to potential buyers is if you are lucky enough to find a Prelude for sale, buy it, fast, and on the first contact. I am looking at purchasing a Honda Element, but I am keeping my Prelude, currently with only 60K miles. This sounds low, but almost all miles are city driving instead of highway driving. Needless to say, I don't drive much except to and from work and a few errands weekly. My Prelude has let me down only once, and the mechanics warned me of the potential problem, before it happened. I repaired the car quickly.

Favorite Features

It holds the road safely with no roll on turning and little chance of flipping this car. This is favorite feature. I feel safe and confident even if I have to abruptly dodge road debris at 65 MPH. Saved & safe! Other good features include exterior that still looks current, not dated.

Suggested Improvements

Not much at all, but the darn cigarette lighter, even after repair, still doesn't work. Small problem; use match. Make my Honda last another 15 years, but at 54, my age, this Prelude may outlive me, and I will have to will it to some lucky, lucky person after I'm gone. I'll wait for it to find me.

Decent Value
By SevenBizzos

1994 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

I may have overpaid a bit for a mint, garage kept Si, but I definitely feel it was worth it. Even with the mileage in the 150k range, the maintenance for me has been minimal. For my daily vehicle, the power is adequate for passing and accelerating out of sight from annoying drivers. The handling is excellent. Car is light and easily maneuverable. MPG (with 10% ethanol fuel) have been from 26 with "spirited driving" to > 30 when gas was $4.50/gal and I was trying to drive efficiently.

Favorite Features

Positives have been the performance, the fuel economy, and the overall integrity. The 205 tires are perfect. Seats hold you in place but probably wouldn't fit overweight people. Backseat is pretty useless (this is a positive to me). Parts are easy to find.

Suggested Improvements

I'm not sure why premium fuel is required. Oil changes are complicated because the filter is immediately above the exhaust and a bit difficult to reach.

Good Honda! Good girl!
By JJ

1994 Honda Prelude S 2dr Coupe

I bought my Prelude when it was 4 years old and had 30,000 miles on it. I knew I wanted that car the first time I test drove it, and I have not regretted buying it for even one second since I signed the contract. I love that it is a sporty, fun-to-drive car that handles well, but also has a good-sized trunk and gets 30 MPG (combined highway/city) consistently. I give her regular oil changes, and have had the timing belt/water pump replaced twice (at about 83000 mi, and again at 179000 mi). From what I understand about the engine construction, it is a very bad thing to wait for the timing belt to break, as you will then have to have a valve job too. With basic repairs, she runs & runs.

Favorite Features

I love the combination of good looks, sporty driving and handling, good fuel economy, and sufficient cargo/trunk space. It has been satisfying all the way around.

Suggested Improvements

Personally, I like the rear end of the newer Preludes better; however, I infinitely prefer the front end of the 94 model. I don't know what Honda was thinking when they dropped the Prelude model altogether, instead of combining the older front end and the newer rear end for the next model.