Incredible Handling car
By David Price on
1993 Honda Prelude VTEC 2dr Coupe
Anyone that thinks this car understeers has got the wrong tires on the car. The handling and cornering feel of this car is hard to match, even by newer cars. Ignore the specified mileage figures, at least for the VTEC. I would get 28-29 mpg cruise and no less than 26 mpg if I really put my foot into it a lot with a fair amount of city driving. The VTEC would start to kick in about 4500 rpm and felt a bit like a turbo. Passing 5 cars will put you over 120 mph in real hurry on the highway. The last time I got to drive this it had 130,000 miles on it and ran like new. It has always run on synthetic (Mobil-1 & Amsoil) engine/gear oil from the 1st oil change at 1000 miles. A drunk driver hit it.
Favorite Features
Beautiful non-macpherson strut handling and steering feel when pushed hard in corners, combination of acceleration and great gas mileage.
Suggested Improvements
Cruise control hunts a lot. Oil filter is a pain to reach. No pass through on rear seats. Side view mirrors use a colored plastic that is difficult to maintain. Rear wing is difficult to clean around. This year model had really poor air conditioning performance (1st year of R-134.)