Used 1993 Honda Prelude Si Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Honda Prelude Si - Consumer Reviews

Si 2.3L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (13 reviews )

Rethink Your Decision
By lukewagner002

1993 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

I had purchased this car in Jan of 2012. It has 193k on the odometer. After being a Honda Mechanic for a few years, I was confident in the vehicle, but had seen very few of these. I had nothing but problems when owning mine. Within a few weeks, my timing belt had broke, and left me stranded. After rebuilding the entire top end of the engine, I drove it for two weeks when the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder went out. Two days after that it was the TPS sensor. After repair almost everything, I thought it was safe to drive, and drove it for 4 hours and it would not start again, which is where I gave up. I suggest going to a VERY well maintained one, or finding another vehicle.

I loved the exterior design. Body was sleek and before it's time. I got compliments wherever I went. Interior had a few things that were very unique and I loved the dash a fuel gauge section.

Honda went against everything they knew when making this vehicle, so be very cautious. I'd like to see a bigger gear ratio on the 5th gear (preferably a 6th gear). Suspension system is not within my favorites. I was constantly changing parts and getting alignments, as well as replacing the tires. Interior was not very comfortable. I did not like the seats, and it was very, very small. I couldn't even fit a backpack in the back seats. PLEASE DO NOT make a car without a cup holder again. That was a horrible idea and they should have known better. I also was not a fan of the HVAC system. It always shorted, and rarely worked. A/C system was tuned and checked, and it burnt out in a few weeks.

Replacement parts questionable quality
By Rich

1993 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

This car has been a disappointment due to the inferior quality of replacement electrical system parts... three main relays have failed (replacement approximately $700 each) and three ignition switches failed (replacement approximately $200 each). Honda Prelude replacement electrical parts are garbage IMHO. I will likely never purchase another Honda. However, the best car I ever owned was a 1990 Acura Integra.

engine, automatic transmission (bulletproof)

Honda: Source your electrical parts from somewhere other than China or N. Korea. They're total crap.

1993 Prelude Si
By Hazardgrl

1993 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

I've had this car two years now, and have not had any problems. When I bought it in '03, everyone thought I had gotten a new car (not realizing the prelude was discontinued two years before). It's fun to drive, looks great, and is an all around perfect car.

the dash is fun and unique, comfortable seats (in the front anyways), drives like a dream

the glove box fits a couple of pieces of paper, and the back seats are pretty useless.

Prelude SI
By R Tizzle

1993 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

When i purchased my Prelude it got me in a lot of trouble. Its FAST and sporty but, chicks will look twice when they see you in a Prelude. Getting premium unleaded gas is a drag but definately worth the performance.

5 speed manual, handles amazing around corners, burnouts through second gear, bucket seats hold tightly, best part is smoking civics.

A cupholder, a sixth gear(prelude revs pretty high at highway speeds), more room in the back seats, no glovebox(more of a document holder), engine can get quite warm when raced around.

93 Prelude Si
By HwkWings

1993 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for over 4 years, and I still love it. I bought it with 132K miles, and it now has 185K. The only problems have been a small oil leak and a worn out distributor. The sexy curviness of this car is way better than the ridged design of the 5th gen. Prelude. Criticism aside, I love the "funky" mid-dash display of the interior. The gauges are easier to read than some other cars that clutter the gauges in front of the driver. A few complaints include: the headlight components are a bit cheap, road/wind noise is more than abundant at highway speeds, rear visibility is less than adequate and the speaker covers are a bit flimsy.

2.3L engine (more immediate torque than the VTEC and better gas mileage, albeit slower), smart auto. transmission (downshifts when you want it to) and the styling inside and out.

Seeing as how Honda killed the Prelude, I'll say an improvement would be to BRING IT BACK! If you get your hands on one, I recommend cat-back exhaust and a beefier suspension. Also, despite the intelligence of the auto, the manual is still more fun.