Used 1993 Honda Prelude Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1993 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

Rethink Your Decision
By lukewagner002

1993 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

I had purchased this car in Jan of 2012. It has 193k on the odometer. After being a Honda Mechanic for a few years, I was confident in the vehicle, but had seen very few of these. I had nothing but problems when owning mine. Within a few weeks, my timing belt had broke, and left me stranded. After rebuilding the entire top end of the engine, I drove it for two weeks when the clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder went out. Two days after that it was the TPS sensor. After repair almost everything, I thought it was safe to drive, and drove it for 4 hours and it would not start again, which is where I gave up. I suggest going to a VERY well maintained one, or finding another vehicle.

I loved the exterior design. Body was sleek and before it's time. I got compliments wherever I went. Interior had a few things that were very unique and I loved the dash a fuel gauge section.

Honda went against everything they knew when making this vehicle, so be very cautious. I'd like to see a bigger gear ratio on the 5th gear (preferably a 6th gear). Suspension system is not within my favorites. I was constantly changing parts and getting alignments, as well as replacing the tires. Interior was not very comfortable. I did not like the seats, and it was very, very small. I couldn't even fit a backpack in the back seats. PLEASE DO NOT make a car without a cup holder again. That was a horrible idea and they should have known better. I also was not a fan of the HVAC system. It always shorted, and rarely worked. A/C system was tuned and checked, and it burnt out in a few weeks.

Incredible Handling car
By David Price

1993 Honda Prelude VTEC 2dr Coupe

Anyone that thinks this car understeers has got the wrong tires on the car. The handling and cornering feel of this car is hard to match, even by newer cars. Ignore the specified mileage figures, at least for the VTEC. I would get 28-29 mpg cruise and no less than 26 mpg if I really put my foot into it a lot with a fair amount of city driving. The VTEC would start to kick in about 4500 rpm and felt a bit like a turbo. Passing 5 cars will put you over 120 mph in real hurry on the highway. The last time I got to drive this it had 130,000 miles on it and ran like new. It has always run on synthetic (Mobil-1 & Amsoil) engine/gear oil from the 1st oil change at 1000 miles. A drunk driver hit it.

Beautiful non-macpherson strut handling and steering feel when pushed hard in corners, combination of acceleration and great gas mileage.

Cruise control hunts a lot. Oil filter is a pain to reach. No pass through on rear seats. Side view mirrors use a colored plastic that is difficult to maintain. Rear wing is difficult to clean around. This year model had really poor air conditioning performance (1st year of R-134.)

The Best Used Car I've Ever Bought
By link4253

1993 Honda Prelude VTEC 2dr Coupe

I was 15 when i bought my car from some guy down my street for about $3,000, he told me it might need some work on it, but after i did my research on how much it would cost, i was bought within the week, it only cost me about $150 for the parts i needed and the labor was only $85, but after all that, it was ready to hit the streets, its never broken down, it's been the most reliable car if ever seen.

small, fast and reliable, i love that there's a sun roof and it's fun to race around in and enough space in the trunk to put two 12" subs and the subwoofer box.

there's no room in the back seats so I'm thinking of taking them out and making more trunks space and two NOS nitrous bottles in the back with blue LED lights, the car needs to be a little more off the ground though, the speed bumps beat it up.

Love It!
By Shorty

1993 Honda Prelude VTEC 2dr Coupe

Ever since I learned how to drive , I've been looking for a Honda Prelude. I have a Honda Accord but I fell in love with preludes so when I found a 1993 Honda Prelude for $500 I told my father and he bought it for me. I am Happy with it , I love the Outside and Inside , but what I really love is the Speed and how wonderful it is to Drive it. Everyone says I got it for an Extremely Low Price and been wanting to buy it off me but I will never sell it, lol. Now I own 2 1993 Preludes a Grey one and a white one and I am satisfied.

Everything on the Outside and Inside.

More Room on the Inside , and the seats are too Low.

Replacement parts questionable quality
By Rich

1993 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

This car has been a disappointment due to the inferior quality of replacement electrical system parts... three main relays have failed (replacement approximately $700 each) and three ignition switches failed (replacement approximately $200 each). Honda Prelude replacement electrical parts are garbage IMHO. I will likely never purchase another Honda. However, the best car I ever owned was a 1990 Acura Integra.

engine, automatic transmission (bulletproof)

Honda: Source your electrical parts from somewhere other than China or N. Korea. They're total crap.