1992 Honda Prelude Consumer Review: great niche car

1992 Honda Prelude - Consumer Review

S Coupe (2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

great niche car
By datadesk on

1992 Honda Prelude S 2dr Coupe

This is a car that handles like a dream, and is bullet-proof reliable like every Honda I've owned. Maintenance is affordable, maintenance intervals are generous (for its time) 7500 oil / 90k belt. It's a shame they discontinuted this line - you pretty much have to buy an S2000 to get this level of handling nowadays. My S is a little low on power, but there's not much you can do with an Accord engine. If you have a choice, do purchase the Si or '93+ VTEC. You'll get a lot more for your money. As to the owner who blew his balancing shaft seal - your mechanic probably neglected to read-up on the Honda bulletin that urged you to swap it out ASAP due to a weak retention ring.

Favorite Features

Amazingly stable handling at any speed, superb paint, seats, build, interior, chassis, engine, etc... Regular maintenance is all I've had to do for 14 years! After-market parts are reasonably available for this car, but its heavy chassis might not make it worthwhile as tinkering with a Civic/Teg

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders! (they fixed that in '93, but you can always buy aftermarket Japanese cupholder for ~$10 pop) Slightly larger rear seats and trunk would've been nice, but for its class (2dr coupe), I suppose I can't ask for too much more.