Used 1992 Honda Prelude Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1992 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

1992 Honda Prelude

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

Sweet Car
By preludeman92

1992 Honda Prelude S 2dr Coupe

I love how everything looks and feels. It still looks almost new (stupid rust). I get lots of comments on how new it looks(despite being almost 15 years old). The accord engine is a little down on power when combined with the auto tranny. It will still keep up though, especially in corners. I've never really had any big issues with the car, just normal wear then the known issues with hondas of that age (brake master cylinder, master relay, valve cover seal and cam seal). I'm looking for a new car now and can't find anything that looks and drives as good as my prelude. I think I'm getting a newer one. I'm glad that it has back seats, keeps insurance down despite them being useless.

Favorite Features

Handling, looks, sound with aftermarket exhaust, dash board, not a car that you see everywhere.

Suggested Improvements

The exhaust rusts and needs replaced every few years. It needs a cup holder badly. Buy a manual car if you can find one. Buy a 93-96 if you want to be able to use the backseat at all(no divider). The seatback only has a small pass thru. Switch the sunroof to the moonroof from a 97-01 prelude (bolton)

Great reliable car
By txl146

1992 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for 3 months now and it puts smile on my face every time I take it out for spin. It has very torquey engine for 2.3L engine so you do not need to downshift on a highway to pass someone. It's one advantage over most 2.0L turbocharged cars. One thing I do not like about this car is that I have to use premium gas. I wouldn't call this car economy for that reason.

Favorite Features

Styling, torquey engine for 2.3L, relatively light weight for improved handling

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder Extremely heavy stock 15" wheels tiny rear seats

great niche car
By datadesk

1992 Honda Prelude S 2dr Coupe

This is a car that handles like a dream, and is bullet-proof reliable like every Honda I've owned. Maintenance is affordable, maintenance intervals are generous (for its time) 7500 oil / 90k belt. It's a shame they discontinuted this line - you pretty much have to buy an S2000 to get this level of handling nowadays. My S is a little low on power, but there's not much you can do with an Accord engine. If you have a choice, do purchase the Si or '93+ VTEC. You'll get a lot more for your money. As to the owner who blew his balancing shaft seal - your mechanic probably neglected to read-up on the Honda bulletin that urged you to swap it out ASAP due to a weak retention ring.

Favorite Features

Amazingly stable handling at any speed, superb paint, seats, build, interior, chassis, engine, etc... Regular maintenance is all I've had to do for 14 years! After-market parts are reasonably available for this car, but its heavy chassis might not make it worthwhile as tinkering with a Civic/Teg

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders! (they fixed that in '93, but you can always buy aftermarket Japanese cupholder for ~$10 pop) Slightly larger rear seats and trunk would've been nice, but for its class (2dr coupe), I suppose I can't ask for too much more.

It's getting better
By Caligrl369

1992 Honda Prelude S 2dr Coupe

Performance is great for a 4 banger, it seems I cant get the "just right" setting for the driver seat, has no in between. Gas mileage is pretty good if you don't use the gas hard all the time. It is a BLAST to drive the cornering and handling is soooo comfortable, what a rush. Interior design takes time to get use to. Exterior looks great the back seems really high for the front. Now reliablilty, let me say I'm disappointed, had heater core, radiator, thermostat, and several hoses blow in 3 back to back days, check engine light stays on no matter what. electrical issue galore. Just she has a mind of her own, that is for sure.

Favorite Features

The handling on southern california mountain roads it is too much fun, got my first ticket ever in 10 years with this. It is fun.

Suggested Improvements

Overpricing of parts I have found to be ridiculous, along with "dealer" only parts, need to make the prelude parts more accessible

I bought it new...still love it.
By Mary Smith

1992 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

I bought my 'lude new 12 YRS ago immediately after seeing one.It was obviously love at first sight.I'd never kept a car for more than 2 yrs before the Prelude, but I just wasn't able to find another car I liked more at 'upgrade' time. We now have a 2003 Altima as we needed the room, and a 2004 F250 for the hubby (and me!), but I REFUSE to let go of my Prelude. With 175K miles it's now needing a few things, but is still a blast to drive. I really wish Honda had not discontinued the Prelude - I'd get another in a blink. It's been a very abused car from my post-college (read broke) days that just keeps on ticking. I like my Altima. I LOVE my Prelude.

Favorite Features

The body style, the power...Everything about it. I even like the funky dash instrumentation.

Suggested Improvements

Like everyone else said...no cup holders. The little square thing in front of the storage between the seats does NOT work as a cupholder ;)