1990 Honda Prelude Si Si Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

1990 Prelude Consumer Reviews

Si 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (11 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

One of The Greatest!
By The BEST!

1990 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

My Prelude is actually a 1988 Si but the car was almost the same from 88-91. I bought it new in Sept 87 and still love this car, drive it to work every day. I bought a 98 but was never satisfied although it too was a nice car. The handling just wasn't the same. If I could find a brand new 88 Si I would buy it today. This car still looks good and drives great. I have had to do some repairs & replacement parts but with 220,000 miles it can be expected. Averages 28 mpg on back roads and some stop and go traffic. I guess they will have to bury me in it cause I just can't part with it.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Handles better than any car I've owned or test driven. Dependable. Still look great. Love the style. Great visibility. Easy to drive. Good gas millage.

Suggested Improvements

The 88 did not have airbags or ABS but it handles so good and you can see everything so well you avoid accidents. The security of these safety feature would be nice. The 88-91 Prelude is a great car, I wish they were still making them. It was not a race car but it felt like one.

Honda did it right with this one!!
By KITTEKATR1979

1990 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

I just bought my 3rd Prelude and I would recommend this car to anyone. Last year an old man T boned my 91 SI and I was heart broken. I replaced it with a Del Sol but it just wasnt the same. So I came across a 1990 Si ALB with 75000 miles in immaculate condition and just fell in love all over again. This car has style, pep and its a Honda. GREAT CAR!!!!!

Favorite Features

Acceleration, body style, the fact that its a Honda.

Suggested Improvements

The only bad thing about this car is that its hard to find aftermarket parts for this body style. 1992 and up its a breeze. This generation just doesnt get the recognition it deserves.

3rd gen preludes are gret to drive!
By turbi2.1SI

1990 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

Well, i liked my 1988 Honda prelude S, so much I decided to buy a 1990 SI with the 2.1 liter engine. The S model is a work horse and hasn't given me any major problems since I bought it in 1998. It's a perfect commute car, but has nice acceleration too and with well over 175k...my 1990 SI is compltely modified with a Turbo set up, high flow injectors, cat-back, intake etc. a tatal of 190hp up from it's based 140hp rating.

Favorite Features

Quick response, reliability, and nice 80's sport car styling, which is sort of like a poor man's Ferrarri.

Suggested Improvements

Back seat! With so little room, Honda should have made the Prelude in to a two seat sport coupe instead.

It's the small things that add up
By ansaphone4

1990 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

For the first year of ownership, the only major thing that went wrong was my alternator. The wiper motor went last October and getting that fixed cost $300. Now I think the fan motor is going because the vents soetimes do not work at all. Additionally, within the past few months the moonroof has taken to leaking, or rather, pouring water if the car has been standing in the rain and then you go to drive off. I think it is time to move on although I love my little car and she's never let me down performance or reliability wise.

Favorite Features

I loved the moonroof before it started leaking. Also, I like how the car automatically locks the doors when you start the car. The 2.0 liter engine does a pretty good job of accelerating and I drive an automatic.

Suggested Improvements

I wish you could automatically lock the doors. I also wish that the front seats pulled forward instead of just folding forward. Also, I wish that they had a handle on the drive side door help get out of the car. It does ride pretty low the ground.

You will not be disappointed!
By mdot

1990 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

I never realized how enjoyable this car was until I recently drove a 1997 SH. The '97 was not much of an improvement over my old car and it made me reconsider even purchasing a newer car. My 90 with 100K has gone to the shop about 3 times since 68K and none have been major repairs. This car is very quick when driving locally. It only gets strained when driving a considerable distance on the highway. The handling is amazing for such an old car. Anyone considering an older prelude will not be disappointed.

Favorite Features

Handling, interior design, front end styling, reliability, quickness.

Suggested Improvements

Could have a little more power, tends to burn oil, and backseats too small.

Great Car!!!
By z0iid

1990 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

I actually own an 89' 4WS model, but this is close enough. No one gives the 3rd generation prelude good reviews. I have debated getting a new car for a year now, and cant stand to part with such an awesome car. I would reccommend to anyone.

Favorite Features

The 4WS is a trip! In driving Mt Tam in Marin County, CA, I have forced Porsche drivers and sport motorcycle drivers to pull over because this car handles like a dream!!

Suggested Improvements

A more powerful engine would be great, but for the year it was built; it has an awesome engine.

Fun lil' sports car
By HondaPreludeLover

1990 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

I've had my share of fun in this car. I fell in love with it when I bought it. I've had my fair share of "used car maintenances" also, but the Honda engine is strong -- do not underestimate it. For a 13 year old car, it's probably the most dependable 10+ year old car I will ever own. I am currently looking forward to a new- er Prelude. I had so much fun with the third generation, that I know I will have a blast with the last (5th) gen. I am disappointed they are no longer making the prelude, but I will enjoy it, and keep my "new baby" as long as I can. For those that also have a prelude, have fun and ENJOY!!!

Favorite Features

Sport 5-Speed, sleek design, spoiler, fast, fuel efficient, dependable HONDA, and most importantly FUN!

Suggested Improvements

Back seat more spacious, valve cover gasket issue(s).

Got LUDE!!!
By azbanshee44

1990 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

Just bought it with 167,000 on it. Passed emissions with flying colors. Runs very strong.

Favorite Features

Added 17" wheels and tires, WOW, and I thought it handled good before. Great looking car with the wheels and lowered 1.5" and a touring wing.

Suggested Improvements

h22a vtec. mmmmm.

decent
By ratrap

1990 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

this car has been a great car and for the most part reliable. ive had a few problems with electrical but thats about it.

A car worth the money
By Hookem

1990 Honda Prelude Si Si 2dr Coupe

The 90 Honda Prelude is an excellent combinatin of sporty performance, good looks, great gas mileage and excellent reliability. I highly recommend this car

Favorite Features

Sporty handling

Suggested Improvements

No improvements needed.