1990 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:
One of The Greatest!
By The BEST! on 03/20/10 20:06 PM (PDT)

1990 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

My Prelude is actually a 1988 Si but the car was almost the same from 88-91. I bought it new in Sept 87 and still love this car, drive it to work every day. I bought a 98 but was never satisfied although it too was a nice car. The handling just wasn't the same. If I could find a brand new 88 Si I would buy it today. This car still looks good and drives great. I have had to do some repairs & replacement parts but with 220,000 miles it can be expected. Averages 28 mpg on back roads and some stop and go traffic. I guess they will have to bury me in it cause I just can't part with it.

1990 EX Prelude (UK Model)
By Darren Wyeth on 12/20/06 08:19 AM (PST)

1990 Honda Prelude S 2dr Coupe

I bought this 1990 EX prelude 'auto', which is equal to the USA's 'S' except for the cruise control. I had an '84 prelude a few years ago but had to sell it, but I saw this come up and grabbed it whilst I could, It's extremely reliable and feels just like a new car the only problem I have with it are the speakers, but these can be replaced. It's not a nice looking as the 2nd Generation (1983-1987) but it's the most fun I've had since my '84!

Honda did it right with this one!!
By KITTEKATR1979 on 05/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

I just bought my 3rd Prelude and I would recommend this car to anyone. Last year an old man T boned my 91 SI and I was heart broken. I replaced it with a Del Sol but it just wasnt the same. So I came across a 1990 Si ALB with 75000 miles in immaculate condition and just fell in love all over again. This car has style, pep and its a Honda. GREAT CAR!!!!!

3rd gen preludes are gret to drive!
By turbi2.1SI on 04/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

Well, i liked my 1988 Honda prelude S, so much I decided to buy a 1990 SI with the 2.1 liter engine. The S model is a work horse and hasn't given me any major problems since I bought it in 1998. It's a perfect commute car, but has nice acceleration too and with well over 175k...my 1990 SI is compltely modified with a Turbo set up, high flow injectors, cat-back, intake etc. a tatal of 190hp up from it's based 140hp rating.

It's the small things that add up
By ansaphone4 on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

For the first year of ownership, the only major thing that went wrong was my alternator. The wiper motor went last October and getting that fixed cost $300. Now I think the fan motor is going because the vents soetimes do not work at all. Additionally, within the past few months the moonroof has taken to leaking, or rather, pouring water if the car has been standing in the rain and then you go to drive off. I think it is time to move on although I love my little car and she's never let me down performance or reliability wise.

You will not be disappointed!
By mdot on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

I never realized how enjoyable this car was until I recently drove a 1997 SH. The '97 was not much of an improvement over my old car and it made me reconsider even purchasing a newer car. My 90 with 100K has gone to the shop about 3 times since 68K and none have been major repairs. This car is very quick when driving locally. It only gets strained when driving a considerable distance on the highway. The handling is amazing for such an old car. Anyone considering an older prelude will not be disappointed.

Oldie but a Goodie
By Fetus on 07/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Prelude S 2dr Coupe

Just bought by 1990 Prelude wiht 119K miles. The engine is tight, responsive, and still runs strong. Handles great and is a blast to drive. I would be apprehensive about purchasing a 13 year old vehicle but I know several Honda owners with models older than 1990. They always talk about the reliability. I'm sold.

Great Car!!!
By z0iid on 06/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

I actually own an 89' 4WS model, but this is close enough. No one gives the 3rd generation prelude good reviews. I have debated getting a new car for a year now, and cant stand to part with such an awesome car. I would reccommend to anyone.

Fun lil' sports car
By HondaPreludeLover on 05/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1990 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

I've had my share of fun in this car. I fell in love with it when I bought it. I've had my fair share of "used car maintenances" also, but the Honda engine is strong -- do not underestimate it. For a 13 year old car, it's probably the most dependable 10+ year old car I will ever own. I am currently looking forward to a new- er Prelude. I had so much fun with the third generation, that I know I will have a blast with the last (5th) gen. I am disappointed they are no longer making the prelude, but I will enjoy it, and keep my "new baby" as long as I can. For those that also have a prelude, have fun and ENJOY!!!

It Just Keeps Going and Going!
By marvelous on 02/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1990 Honda Prelude S 2dr Coupe

I absolutely love Hondas because they are so reliable. I got this used while in college from a Honda mechanic so it was in great condition! Good pick-up, nice body style for a 13-year old car. Good visability, good on gas, decent size trunk. Reliable all the way around. I'm at 227,000 and she's still going.