Used 1990 Honda Prelude Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Honda Prelude - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prelude model:

One of The Greatest!
By The BEST!

1990 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

My Prelude is actually a 1988 Si but the car was almost the same from 88-91. I bought it new in Sept 87 and still love this car, drive it to work every day. I bought a 98 but was never satisfied although it too was a nice car. The handling just wasn't the same. If I could find a brand new 88 Si I would buy it today. This car still looks good and drives great. I have had to do some repairs & replacement parts but with 220,000 miles it can be expected. Averages 28 mpg on back roads and some stop and go traffic. I guess they will have to bury me in it cause I just can't part with it.

Fun to drive. Handles better than any car I've owned or test driven. Dependable. Still look great. Love the style. Great visibility. Easy to drive. Good gas millage.

The 88 did not have airbags or ABS but it handles so good and you can see everything so well you avoid accidents. The security of these safety feature would be nice. The 88-91 Prelude is a great car, I wish they were still making them. It was not a race car but it felt like one.

1990 EX Prelude (UK Model)
By Darren Wyeth

1990 Honda Prelude S 2dr Coupe

I bought this 1990 EX prelude 'auto', which is equal to the USA's 'S' except for the cruise control. I had an '84 prelude a few years ago but had to sell it, but I saw this come up and grabbed it whilst I could, It's extremely reliable and feels just like a new car the only problem I have with it are the speakers, but these can be replaced. It's not a nice looking as the 2nd Generation (1983-1987) but it's the most fun I've had since my '84!

I love the Pop up lights and the wedge shape, other good features are, the auto up and down drivers window, the variable power steering and Air conditioning!

The heater blower isn't that great, especially in England! it takes around 5 to 10 mins to clear a section of the front screen to make driving safe!

Honda did it right with this one!!
By KITTEKATR1979

1990 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

I just bought my 3rd Prelude and I would recommend this car to anyone. Last year an old man T boned my 91 SI and I was heart broken. I replaced it with a Del Sol but it just wasnt the same. So I came across a 1990 Si ALB with 75000 miles in immaculate condition and just fell in love all over again. This car has style, pep and its a Honda. GREAT CAR!!!!!

Acceleration, body style, the fact that its a Honda.

The only bad thing about this car is that its hard to find aftermarket parts for this body style. 1992 and up its a breeze. This generation just doesnt get the recognition it deserves.

3rd gen preludes are gret to drive!
By turbi2.1SI

1990 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

Well, i liked my 1988 Honda prelude S, so much I decided to buy a 1990 SI with the 2.1 liter engine. The S model is a work horse and hasn't given me any major problems since I bought it in 1998. It's a perfect commute car, but has nice acceleration too and with well over 175k...my 1990 SI is compltely modified with a Turbo set up, high flow injectors, cat-back, intake etc. a tatal of 190hp up from it's based 140hp rating.

Quick response, reliability, and nice 80's sport car styling, which is sort of like a poor man's Ferrarri.

Back seat! With so little room, Honda should have made the Prelude in to a two seat sport coupe instead.

It's the small things that add up
By ansaphone4

1990 Honda Prelude Si 2dr Coupe

For the first year of ownership, the only major thing that went wrong was my alternator. The wiper motor went last October and getting that fixed cost $300. Now I think the fan motor is going because the vents soetimes do not work at all. Additionally, within the past few months the moonroof has taken to leaking, or rather, pouring water if the car has been standing in the rain and then you go to drive off. I think it is time to move on although I love my little car and she's never let me down performance or reliability wise.

I loved the moonroof before it started leaking. Also, I like how the car automatically locks the doors when you start the car. The 2.0 liter engine does a pretty good job of accelerating and I drive an automatic.

I wish you could automatically lock the doors. I also wish that the front seats pulled forward instead of just folding forward. Also, I wish that they had a handle on the drive side door help get out of the car. It does ride pretty low the ground.