2014 Honda Pilot Consumer Review: Just OK

2014 Honda Pilot - Consumer Review

EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic)

Just OK
By driftma on

2014 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Was looking at 3 row SUVs to fit the new twins and the dog. Decided on the Pilot over the CX-9 because of cost and dealership. For utility and storage and seating, the Pilot is great. However I feel it lags when it comes to acceleration, even compared to our 2012 CRV. It definitely drives like a truck. Having a little regret because I only use it to drive the whole family once every couple of weeks. Would rather have something more fun to drive. I'm also finding the seat even with all its adjustments, difficult to find the right position as of yet (1 month).

Favorite Features

Seating configurations, storage, utility.

Suggested Improvements

Acceleration, road feel.
By subteach55
on 08/09/14 21:20 PM (PDT)

Thank you for this info. I feel as if I jumped to fast in buying the pilo , never having a honda. I was getting tired of looking and shopping for cars, and the circus routine, and landed at Honda totally unexpectedly. I have had the car 3 months and have mixed feelings. I came froma Buick rendezvous and wanted similar, although pilot is bigger than I thought, and it looked, in lot. Like you, the seats are a pain to adjust, being LX, non power. I wish the hatch had power close. Putting that aside, I an concerned with the comments on vibration issues in the past which I didn't know abou, and the many mediocre reviews bury consumer reports and on you tube. I bought the car, and want to sell it because I now feel uncertain about it. Many say is breaking is not good and this concerns me as well. I bought thinking it was a safe vehicle for a female to drive especially in New England's winter, but my heart is saddened that I went out on a limb on a car that had much negativism against it when I thought one could not go wrong with a honda. I am worried I made big, mistake, and your review makes me feel a lift jilted better, but again, I am concerned. Thank you.

By driftma
on 07/08/14 07:04 AM (PDT)

OK, it's been almost 5 months now, and I'm definitely starting to like this car more. I've gotten to the point where I've been able to fine tune the seat/steering wheel adjustments so that now I am ONLY COMFORTABLE DRIVING THIS CAR and am having problems making myself comfortable in other cars. Also, I believe the acceleration is actually pretty decent....I may have gotten accustomed to how to handle the accelerator a little better and also it was likely that I was not used to being so high up and the acceleration didn't seem as good as it really was. I ended up just subscribing to SiriusXM and that has also added to the fun of driving this vehicle. I would change the rating to 4.5 stars at this point.

By kaitt
on 10/06/14 15:07 PM (PDT)

My wife and I love the pilot for comfort , room and quiet. Big negative for me is the blue tooth is not very friendly or "hands free". We test drove the Accura MDX yesterday... Same sorry blue tooth with no phone sync. My $65 Jabbra add on works better than this. I am truly disappointed.