2014 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2014 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Avoid Variable Cylinder Management (VCM)
By dph1

2014 Honda Pilot Touring w/Navigation and Rear Entertainment 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am a long time Honda owner (all Accords). I purchased a 2014 Honda Pilot new in April 2014. After two days of owning it, I realized I made a huge mistake. The VCM system causes vibrations and jerks when it transitions from 6, 4 and 3 cylinders. You will not notice on a test drive because the engine has to warm up first for it to engage. Honda posted a software update TSB that helps but did not resolve the problem. If you want to buy a Honda V6 with VCM, insist on a long test drive at speeds greater than 60 on flat roads. I just sold my Pilot for a Sienna - best move ever even if it is a minivan. Toyota knows V6s should run on all 6 cylinders.

Favorite Features

The Pilot has a huge interior. It is the best of all mid size crossovers in that respect. The controls are simple, and the seat comfort is above average. I liked the boxy look, and the steering had a nice weight to it.

Suggested Improvements

Improve build quality - mine had sun visors that snapped loudly when closed. The dealer claimed it was normal. The rear seat recline lever broke off in my hand. Some interior plastic trim came loose. In addition, I constantly received the check gas cap message regardless of how many times I clicked the gas cap when closing it. Finally, do away with VCM - PERIOD. The system is garbage. If you are thinking about a Honda or Acura with this - google Honda VCM Vibration. Believe me, if you are sensitive to any noise or weird vibrations, it will make you bonkers. Don't make a 40k mistake like I did.

This car is a piece of junk
By joe_bob

2014 Honda Pilot Touring w/Navigation and Rear Entertainment 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have spent many thousands of miles in this car and hated most of them. I had a perfectly good back until I came in contact with this car. Now I am on humira and many other medications even though I am only 18 years old. The sun-visors in this broke with 30,000 miles. It worse in snow than the CRV. The parking sensors do not work my mom has backed into many things with this car because of this fact. The stereo is terrible and has almost no bass. The seat heaters where broken when the car came from the factory. The GPS can't find our house. The stero and GPS is very hard to use even for an A+ certified tech. The backseat is tiny and won't fit an adult. The trunk is horribly undersized.

Favorite Features

No favorite features

Suggested Improvements

Put in the seats from the civic. Fix the heaters in the seats. Fix the parking sensors. Fix the GPS. Fix the stereo. Make the backseat bigger. Add more legroom in the middle and back rows. Make the trunk big enough to hold a weeks worth of grocery's. Fix the defective front middle and rear seats. Improve the build quality and reliability. Improve the horrible gas mileage and handling.

Don't bother
By blakecatch22

We owned a 2005, 2007, and now 2014 Honda Pilot. The main problems are the fuel economy and power numbers are tepid, the 5-speed gearbox is jerky, and acceleration took nearly 10 seconds. Plus the transmission cost a small fortune to repair. Please, take my word and buy aToyota Highlander (which we now own) or the Honda Odyssey.

Not a 4WD
By dabizmike

2014 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this after salesman said this was 4WD (says so on vehicle) had no way of testing since it was bought in July. took to Outer Banks in NC and got stuck twice. Attempted lock in as manual says and still did not help. Transmission fluid overheated and had to sit and wait for it to cool down. Friend driving a Rav4 was able to drive in sand better than we could and his is not 4WD. Was able to dig out once and then had to be towed once. Even letting air out to less than 20lbs did not help with getting through sand Might be better in snow butnot looking forward to testing out.

Favorite Features

Space, fuel mileage for large vehicle. Comfort on highway

Suggested Improvements

make a true 4WD

First Pilot, Early Review
By hiphophawley

2014 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We got our pilot about 1 month ago. We love the interior room, and it tows boats great. The rear cargo area has plenty of space with the rear row of seats folded away. Gas mileage has been consistently around 18, with mixed city and highway driving. Best mileage was about 24 hwy, worst mileage was 17 towing, not on highway. I will update the review as I have the suv longer.

Favorite Features

Towing and space are by far the best qualities of the vehicle. We also have grown the love the backup camera. Mileage is on par with what I would expect of a vehicle this size. I also really like the ambient blue lights at night. It has plenty of power outlets for our electronic devices (front and rear). Seats are quite comfy.

Suggested Improvements

The bluetooth audio system linked to my iphone is brutally slow. It should not take 3-5 second to change a song. I have a $79 Alpine radio w/ bluetooth in another vehicle that works WAY better than this trucks bluetooth for changing tracks. More horsepower is a must! It feels slow at all times while the AC is on. It feels the same while towing or while one person is in the truck. It needs some more HP so you can pass. I would also like to see a CVT or 7 speed transmission in this vehicle, the 5 speed is very dated, and it feels like you could easily get better mileage with a higher HP engine and a better tranny.