2014 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Great vehicle but discovering some flaws
By Shree

2014 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The size and Honda reliability are what drew me to the Pilot. I've owned it a little over a year and I'm still pleased but have a few issues. The driver's side sun visor is drooping and after some research it appears this is common with numerous Honda models. The MPGs are about 19; not what Honda rated. There's a clip on the back of the middle seat that pops off. Not thinking it's good for whatever reason it was put there if it pops out when someone is in the seat. Otherwise, the size, storage, features and drivability of the SUV are great. I enjoy driving it!

2014 pilot
By Sam

2014 Honda Pilot Touring w/Navigation and Rear Entertainment 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle!!! If you want a pilot don't get a base model go with the add- ons .We had many vehicles and I will say I've been impressed with the pilot the most . If you take a little bit of time to set up radio, phone, gps WOW!! Towing isn't a problem for me and I tow (outdoor toys rzr, grizzly ,and 2 smaller atvs on my trailer ) . Not a problem and I have gone up Nittany mountain with ease . Kids enjoy the videos and can even play video games with the 120v outlet and easy access video /audio inputs. The lighted steps make it easy to get in and out at night. The dealership is definitely very good as well and we will probably be back for another later on down the line. And if you like being outdoor get them to throw in a tent that attachs to the back it does it all! !

Sales Rep car
By Mark

2014 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Transmission seems weak, shifts goofy. Wandered around when new, Honda said the ball joints needed to seat. Blows around in the wind. Like the rear camera. Front seats are small. MPG is okay. Never over 24. Seats stained from spilled water?

Avoid Variable Cylinder Management (VCM)
By dph1

2014 Honda Pilot Touring w/Navigation and Rear Entertainment 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am a long time Honda owner (all Accords). I purchased a 2014 Honda Pilot new in April 2014. After two days of owning it, I realized I made a huge mistake. The VCM system causes vibrations and jerks when it transitions from 6, 4 and 3 cylinders. You will not notice on a test drive because the engine has to warm up first for it to engage. Honda posted a software update TSB that helps but did not resolve the problem. If you want to buy a Honda V6 with VCM, insist on a long test drive at speeds greater than 60 on flat roads. I just sold my Pilot for a Sienna - best move ever even if it is a minivan. Toyota knows V6s should run on all 6 cylinders.

The Pilot has a huge interior. It is the best of all mid size crossovers in that respect. The controls are simple, and the seat comfort is above average. I liked the boxy look, and the steering had a nice weight to it.

Improve build quality - mine had sun visors that snapped loudly when closed. The dealer claimed it was normal. The rear seat recline lever broke off in my hand. Some interior plastic trim came loose. In addition, I constantly received the check gas cap message regardless of how many times I clicked the gas cap when closing it. Finally, do away with VCM - PERIOD. The system is garbage. If you are thinking about a Honda or Acura with this - google Honda VCM Vibration. Believe me, if you are sensitive to any noise or weird vibrations, it will make you bonkers. Don't make a 40k mistake like I did.

This car is a piece of junk
By joe_bob

I have spent many thousands of miles in this car and hated most of them. I had a perfectly good back until I came in contact with this car. Now I am on humira and many other medications even though I am only 18 years old. The sun-visors in this broke with 30,000 miles. It worse in snow than the CRV. The parking sensors do not work my mom has backed into many things with this car because of this fact. The stereo is terrible and has almost no bass. The seat heaters where broken when the car came from the factory. The GPS can't find our house. The stero and GPS is very hard to use even for an A+ certified tech. The backseat is tiny and won't fit an adult. The trunk is horribly undersized.

No favorite features

Put in the seats from the civic. Fix the heaters in the seats. Fix the parking sensors. Fix the GPS. Fix the stereo. Make the backseat bigger. Add more legroom in the middle and back rows. Make the trunk big enough to hold a weeks worth of grocery's. Fix the defective front middle and rear seats. Improve the build quality and reliability. Improve the horrible gas mileage and handling.