Moving from 2010 Touring AWD w/DVD/RES to 2013
By assassin11b3p on
2013 Honda Pilot Touring w/Navigation and Rear Entertainment 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
What I love about this vehicle (2010), is how it works so damned good in the real world. As mentioned in the article, its boxy shape means large items go in without any worries, unlike the RX330 we traded-up from and all of its slopes. It's third row accommodates even my large body (5-10, 235lbs), and 8 people can travel in comfort. The fuel mileage is excellent too- nearly showing 25mpg on a week-long trip a couple years ago, and needing only about 2 tanks of gas to travel from TN to MS and then AL, and back, with a lot of driving in between (and on regular fuel), really impressed me. No, it doesn't have Suburban-class towing, but I don't need that. And it's not a large vehicle!
Favorite Features
Cargo space; USABLE third row (even for my 5-10, 235lb frame); Masculine exterior styling; Abundant storage compartments; Ease of Use; Lifting hatchback PLUS the rear glass opens separately; All controls within easy reach of the driver; Visibility; Good real-world off-road use; Interior design. All-in-all, this is a vehicle one can use in the real world. Though mine is a 2010, I actually got it in 2009, and even in 2013, the exterior styling still works. 8 passenger comfort kicks all sorts of butt. Went on a week-long trip with wife and two kids; about 8 or 9 pieces of luggage and the cargo area swallowed it completely! I couldn't even see a single bag from the rearview mirror! :)
Suggested Improvements
Biggest gripe would be the glove compartment: it's placed in an awkward location, which hinders the otherwise generous leg room for the front seat passenger. Next on the list is the nav system- it is really cumbersome to work through to enter information with only its wheel/button interface. Even after the map update from about a year ago, still lots of roads not showing up. Voice recognition also isn't seemingly very good, at least on my 2010; not sure on the 2013. I would read the examples straight from the book and it wouldn't work. Built-in XM radio is worthless in the sense that it's too difficult to look for shows/channels. I ditched it and installed a third-party radio. Fixed it.:)