Used 2013 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2013 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Disappointing Experience and VCM Woes
By restlesspirate

2013 Honda Pilot Touring w/Navigation and Rear Entertainment 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded a CRV for this 2013 Honda Pilot 4WD Touring. The Pilot came home and immediately had a moonroof leak that soaked the interior. The drain tubes were disconnected from the factory. That should have been a sign. The MPG never made it to 25 on the highway, and averages of 15-17 were common in mixed driving over 7000 miles, even with minimal passengers. The VCM was horrible. Sometimes it felt like a bad torque converter, other times it stumbled on flat ground regularly while activating/deactivating cylinders. The only way to tolerate driving it is to drive it in D3, which shouldn't be necessary on a 40K vehicle. We traded back into a Camry SE V6. Honda has VCM troubles.

Favorite Features

Room, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate VCM from the V6 Honda. It's useless, and a class action settlement proves that Honda knows it.

Bad Vibration in ECO mode
By rich_a6

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L w/Rear Entertainment 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When in ECO mode and you encounter a slight grade where there is a light loading on the engine, it vibrates and makes a droning noise. It does it anywhere from 35mph and up including highway speeds. It did not do it on my Odyssey in ECO mode. The shop mechanic first said it was "Normal". I have had 20+ cars in the last 50 years and this isn't normal. Then he said this was very typical of the 2013 Pilots. Honda mad a design change in 2013 and don't apparently don't have a clue how to fix it!

Looking for an SUV...?
By hybridman2012

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well....don't look any further. If you have not owned a Honda (my 5th), you don't know what I mean. Honda reliability, over all comfort, safety, service, price, ( did I mention reliability & safety) and the best dealers around...it's a no-brainer! I get a soild 22mpg all the time and get a 25mpg on cruise, level ground, at 65mph. Beat that anywhere. You are also riding in the safest vehicle make on the market! We live were it snows... no worries it performs great! The 8 passenger capacity will haul the gang in style, without leaving that "one" behind. Just go and drive the Pilot you will come home with it! Financing has always beat the others hands down. Go see for yourself!!

Favorite Features

Love the safe feel, the performance, the reliability, the great look, the MPG, the backup camera, the heated mirrors, the 4-wheel drive and of course the competative pricing!

Suggested Improvements

I think this 2014 Pilot is a winner! No matter which one you choose, it will deliver. No real improvements for me that haven't been made.

honda pilot
By ivan_babij

2013 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Honda pilot is a great car, roome and comfortable. To prevent engine vibrations in "eco" mode, which is only happens in cold weather, use premium fuel in winter and mid grade or regular in summer. Fill out a full tank with premium fuel and drive 75 mph on Highway with D3 on for about 20 miles and it's gone. Pilot is much beter choise that his rival's Pathfinder and Grand Cherokee, because they aretrue lemon cars with transmission problem's.

2013 Pilot vibration
By kingsheds

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After owning 5 Hondas with no problems the time came to pull the trigger on our biggest purchase to date..a new 2013 Pilot EX-L 4x4, to accommodate our 3rd child. We purchased our pilot in September of 2012. I immediately noticed a bad vibration in Eco and have taken it to Honda 2 times now. I have also had a problem with the brake pedal being squishy. Honda won't do anything about the vibration, and they bled the brakes claiming there was nothing wrong with them. The dealership is also stating that Honda says the vibration is normal in my make and model..WHAT!!..NORMAL!!!! This is a $37,000 vehicle. Honda I'm opting out of the class action suit and suing. I suggest others do the same.

Favorite Features

The thing I hate about this is the fact that I have always loved my Hondas. I really like the features and the ergonomics of the Pilot. Looks like a new Tahoe is going to be the solution to this problem.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest Honda replace my 2013 Pilot with a new Pilot that doesn't shudder in ECO mode. I nearly wrecked my Pilot coming into Denver via I70 on the East side of the Eisenhower Tunnel in December due to the ECO mode vibration. It is absolutely insane that Honda is already being sued because of this and they still refuse to acknowledge this problem. Honda you have lost a lifetime customer because of this issue, and your refusal to ethically address the problems.