2013 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
ECO mode issue
By rachlk on 08/01/14 12:06 PM (PDT)

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L w/Navigation 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

There is a problem when the car goes into ECO mode. The dealer told me it was normal and that I must be over sensitive to vibration & sound. It feels like a "hesitation" or "stutter" and is NOT normal! *sigh* I love everything else about my Pilot, but am sad to say I'm currently looking to trade it due to this issue.

Best vehicle I have ever owned...
By hondaloverinmd on 03/28/14 19:57 PM (PDT)

2013 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

..and that's saying a lot - this is my 9th vehicle, 4th Honda, and 2nd Honda Pilot. Had my first Pilot ('05 model) for 7 years. Just bought a 2014 EX 4WD. There is NO engine vibration when in the VCM (aka, ECO) mode. Honda has reduced exterior noise considerably from my first Pilot - this one has a very quiet interior. Very smooth engine and transmission - typical Honda. Fantastic amount of interior space and cargo room. Great looking SUV, unlike many of the so-called modern SUVs that look like ugly, glorified station wagons. I love everything about the Pilot. The USB port and bluetooth hands-free link are much appreciated. Thanks Honda!!!

Disappointing Experience and VCM Woes
By restlesspirate on 03/16/14 09:07 AM (PDT)

2013 Honda Pilot Touring w/Navigation and Rear Entertainment 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded a CRV for this 2013 Honda Pilot 4WD Touring. The Pilot came home and immediately had a moonroof leak that soaked the interior. The drain tubes were disconnected from the factory. That should have been a sign. The MPG never made it to 25 on the highway, and averages of 15-17 were common in mixed driving over 7000 miles, even with minimal passengers. The VCM was horrible. Sometimes it felt like a bad torque converter, other times it stumbled on flat ground regularly while activating/deactivating cylinders. The only way to tolerate driving it is to drive it in D3, which shouldn't be necessary on a 40K vehicle. We traded back into a Camry SE V6. Honda has VCM troubles.

Bad Vibration in ECO mode
By rich_a6 on 03/06/14 13:29 PM (PST)

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L w/Rear Entertainment 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

When in ECO mode and you encounter a slight grade where there is a light loading on the engine, it vibrates and makes a droning noise. It does it anywhere from 35mph and up including highway speeds. It did not do it on my Odyssey in ECO mode. The shop mechanic first said it was "Normal". I have had 20+ cars in the last 50 years and this isn't normal. Then he said this was very typical of the 2013 Pilots. Honda mad a design change in 2013 and don't apparently don't have a clue how to fix it!

Looking for an SUV...?
By hybridman2012 on 03/03/14 14:34 PM (PST)

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well....don't look any further. If you have not owned a Honda (my 5th), you don't know what I mean. Honda reliability, over all comfort, safety, service, price, ( did I mention reliability & safety) and the best dealers around...it's a no-brainer! I get a soild 22mpg all the time and get a 25mpg on cruise, level ground, at 65mph. Beat that anywhere. You are also riding in the safest vehicle make on the market! We live were it snows... no worries it performs great! The 8 passenger capacity will haul the gang in style, without leaving that "one" behind. Just go and drive the Pilot you will come home with it! Financing has always beat the others hands down. Go see for yourself!!

honda pilot
By ivan_babij on 02/14/14 11:53 AM (PST)

2013 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Honda pilot is a great car, roome and comfortable. To prevent engine vibrations in "eco" mode, which is only happens in cold weather, use premium fuel in winter and mid grade or regular in summer. Fill out a full tank with premium fuel and drive 75 mph on Highway with D3 on for about 20 miles and it's gone. Pilot is much beter choise that his rival's Pathfinder and Grand Cherokee, because they aretrue lemon cars with transmission problem's.

2013 Pilot vibration
By kingsheds on 01/28/14 01:28 AM (PST)

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After owning 5 Hondas with no problems the time came to pull the trigger on our biggest purchase to date..a new 2013 Pilot EX-L 4x4, to accommodate our 3rd child. We purchased our pilot in September of 2012. I immediately noticed a bad vibration in Eco and have taken it to Honda 2 times now. I have also had a problem with the brake pedal being squishy. Honda won't do anything about the vibration, and they bled the brakes claiming there was nothing wrong with them. The dealership is also stating that Honda says the vibration is normal in my make and model..WHAT!!..NORMAL!!!! This is a $37,000 vehicle. Honda I'm opting out of the class action suit and suing. I suggest others do the same.

2013 and 2014 have "normal vibration". It drives me crazy!
By scoutgator on 01/02/14 14:11 PM (PST)

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I would not have bought my Pilot if I had known that there was a "normal vibration" when cruising in ECO mode. Mine is very noticable at 1500 RPM and even according to technician, it shouldn't be there. My car has 5K miles on it. I would have spent my $38K on a different vehicle if I had known this. If you are considering buying a Pilot, test drive it thoroughly at 1500 RPMs!!!

Honda missed
By rickricka on 12/19/13 17:06 PM (PST)

Got my 13 Honda Pilot 5 months ago, 17k miles, at about 10k the known and accepted (By Honda ) Shudder Vibration in the VCM started, Since I drive so much it is not a characteristic I can accept, it shudders and vibrates at about 1500-2200 rpm. I will write to Honda but don't expect anything back since the dealership is aware, so should be HONDA. If you don't care about long trips being disgustingly frustrating, buy it, if you want a reasonable ride ,stay away until Honda get its right. ALSO Bluetooth Microphone is from the dark ages ( Toyota fixed theirs years ago) it doesn't work well with cell phone. I think I trade for a better ride,but it will hurt because may features are nice

Love my Pilot!
By at2005 on 12/09/13 08:21 AM (PST)

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L w/Rear Entertainment 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love this vehicle so much! It's a dream to drive. I went from a luxury SUV to the Pilot & am pretty satisfied with it. I love the way the Pilot drives & parks. I've owned cars that don't handle as nicely as this truck does. The only thing I would improve is the ride. It's much rougher/tougher that my previous SUV, but other than that I'm in love. If they keep this vehicle like this or improve it further I will be a Pilot owner for life.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Honda Pilot in VA is:

$137 per month*