Used 2013 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2013 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
By Shannon

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased our pilot used with 21,000 miles. Still had factory warranty. After about 6 months of ownership I noticed the plastic above rear hatch was starting to separate from the window, which looked terrible. I brought it to the dealer and they told me it was a "feature". I kept complaining and they said they would fix it once and not again. They fixed it and it has already started to separate from the window. The straw that broke the camels back is a shudder when the ECO kicks in. When just barely accelerating the car would shudder, shaking the steering wheel and floor. I brought it to them twice for the same reason, and was told that is a "feature of the car". I just sold it.

Favorite Features

I was so frustrated with the problems I had with my pilot, I really didn't enjoy much about it.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the engineering problems with the car. A vehicle should not shake and shudder going down the rode. Doesn't make for a very enjoyable ride. Properly engineer the rear hatch cover so that it is more supported and will not separate from the hing area.

VCM Issue
By mostmiles

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

From the day I drove the car off the lot, I have had concerns about vibration noises and hesitation in the engine. I am just about up with my warranty period and have complained about these issues every time I go for service. The dealer maintains there are no bulletins that address this issue; however, I have noted on other sites that there are complaints about this issue. Other than that, I love the car - especially the extra space for transporting lots of stuff. I also appreciate Honda's pricing structure - unlike Toyota's which is difficult to figure out.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, rear backup camera, lots of space, leather interior.

Suggested Improvements

Acknowledge and correct the VCM problem which clearly exists.

VCM Horrible
By thebigv21

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife had this vehicle for a month. While driving, when the engine went into ECO mode there would be a stutter and hesitation. The entire floor would vibrate. I researched this problem and it seemed that a lot of people were having the same issue without a fix. I traded the vehicle in instead of dealing with this. Bought a highlander and it runs much better.

Favorite Features

Lot of room.. About it

Suggested Improvements

Fix the ECO mode. Improve gas mileage. Even with ECO mode, gas mileage is terrible. Improve on the boxy shape

ECO mode issue
By rachlk

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L w/Navigation 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

There is a problem when the car goes into ECO mode. The dealer told me it was normal and that I must be over sensitive to vibration & sound. It feels like a "hesitation" or "stutter" and is NOT normal! *sigh* I love everything else about my Pilot, but am sad to say I'm currently looking to trade it due to this issue.

Best vehicle I have ever owned...
By hondaloverinmd

2013 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

..and that's saying a lot - this is my 9th vehicle, 4th Honda, and 2nd Honda Pilot. Had my first Pilot ('05 model) for 7 years. Just bought a 2014 EX 4WD. There is NO engine vibration when in the VCM (aka, ECO) mode. Honda has reduced exterior noise considerably from my first Pilot - this one has a very quiet interior. Very smooth engine and transmission - typical Honda. Fantastic amount of interior space and cargo room. Great looking SUV, unlike many of the so-called modern SUVs that look like ugly, glorified station wagons. I love everything about the Pilot. The USB port and bluetooth hands-free link are much appreciated. Thanks Honda!!!

Favorite Features

Bold, aggressive look. Cavernous interior. Strong and smooth V6. Cushy ride, soaks up any and all bumps. Extremely comfortable. USB port. Bluetooth. Rear-view camera. Build like a tank, very safe vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Honda could not improve this vehicle, IMO, aside from giving it better fuel economy. But the current fuel economy numbers are not bad..