From 2011 Pilot to VW back to 2012 Pilot
By pa350z2006 on
2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I have only had my 2012 Pilot EX-L 4WD for 1,000 miles but felt compelled to write a review since I had owned a 2011. I left the 2011 because the car was just too loud with road noise as I found myself turning up the radio to drown out the noise. I went to a VW and have to say that car was a very nicely built car, but the ride was just punishing, it had more of a sport suspension. I came back to the Pilot and it feels good to be in a smooth riding car. They really did address the issues for 2012, at least some of them. The noise level is down quite a bit from the 2011 model and they fixed the messy center stack of controls.
Favorite Features
The window seals seem a lot tighter than the 2011, and the doors close with more of thug, guessing from the increased sound insulation. Overall, you cannot beat the pilot for usability in the car, so many storage spots, smart inside designs and a huge amount of room for hauling things. In regards to the speed and power I think the car is well placed, its not a sports car and it has no issues pulling my 22ft boat or jet skiis. Granted its not a big V8 or diesel but that is not what the car was designed for. Also consider your trade in value on Honda’s in one year and 22k miles the car only dropped 4 k in value from my purchase price to trade in value, I think that is pretty good.
Suggested Improvements
I still think the inside materials are a little cheap and can’t really see what they changed on the hard plastic from 2011 to 2012. Also just some food for thought is that they put low rolling resistance tires on it to get more MPG and less noise, it will be interesting to see how they do in snow, but guess you cannot have it all. The only thing I think I would complain about is that they took the roof rack off the EX-L for 2012 and the radio could be a little better, otherwise I love my Pilot and happy to be back in one again!