Big Problem
By joyfuljoy on
2012 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I have had my 2012 Honda Pilot for over two months now. The first day I drove it from the lot (I test drove a different car and picked mine for color-so never drove mine) There was a loud humming noise when the AC compressor kicked on. The dealership replaced the Power steering twice (at 200 miles and 600 miles) Needless to say, the humming noise is there louder than ever. I filed a vehicle defect notification with Honda. I received a letter saying they are going to attempt to correct the problem for the third time. He said it should lower the noise but not eliminate it. I am so upset. I feel like I live at my dealership/service dept. I wish I never bought this 2012 Pilot
Favorite Features
I do love every other feature about this vehicle, the interior, seating are perfect for traveling with a family.
Suggested Improvements
Fix the humming noise from the Power Steering/AC, not lower it ELIMINATE it
By sfeler1
on 03/17/12 19:56 PM (PDT)

Just picked up car from the dealer service center and they claimed that they replaced belt tensioner, but sound still exists. I am seriously thinking speak with dealer to make them take it back. They told me that per Honda its normal operation and that is the way it should be. O well, for the price this car cost I don't think so. Just would like to warn everyone, before you think to buy Honda pilot think twice. I would not recommend it and hope that there other unhappy pilot owners who will support me and make Honda Corporation hear us and come up with recall and fix. Otherwise I would think before even try to recommend it to anyone.

By sfeler1
on 03/15/12 12:25 PM (PDT)

I would like to say the same thing, Just purchased my Honda Pilot 2012, when I came home noticed loud humming sound when AC starts. Car is in the dealer's shop for second time. The replaced tension on the belt but it's not fixing the issue. The were about to give up, but after I told them that I will get a lemon law attorney they told me the will get back to me. Sounds like a joke, but Honda claims they even makes Jet airplanes. Not so sure if I can trust in this legendary quality. will keep post about it. People should know about it, there are few posts on the web from other unhappy Honda Pilot owners. I am not trouble maker in my nature, but if Honda will not be able to fix this problem, I will be more then glad to get a good lemon law lawyer and bring them to court. for the $40,000 car !!! problems like this... I don't think so...

By malayshah
on 08/07/12 13:29 PM (PDT)

I have same problem. This is first summer for my brand new Honda Pilot 2012 car and I notice when AC in on and car is not moving there is some kind of moaning very loud noise coming from the engine. I took my car to the dealer from where I purchased this vehicle. I was informed that Honda Motors is aware about this issue in 2012 Pilot. I am very surprise and upset that despite Honda Motor is aware about this issue but till the date Honda Motors did not solve this problem. Please make a note that the noise is very loud when AC is on and car is not moving. This noise is very annoying. I wrote letter to Honda and received phone call from them saying that they are working on it. I told them this is very serious because it is giving me migraine every day. Honda customer service rep told me that they are working on it and I will receive letter but he don't know when. I don't know what to do now. DO NOT BUY HONDA PILOT.

By bjss
on 03/16/12 19:20 PM (PDT)

test drove a pilot the other day and noticed this noise as well...salesman said it was 'normal'..hmmmm...I'm not interested in that being the 'normal'

By deryls
on 09/04/12 14:24 PM (PDT)

Add one more to the list. I've had my new Pilot for 3 weeks now, and have had nearly the identical problem as that described in the original post. The cars I test drove did not have the noisy power steering problem. The one I had delivered to me (to get the color I wanted) has this very loud and annoying sound. It's especially noticeable when idling or at very low speeds, but you can even feel the high-frequency vibration in the steering wheel at all speeds. I've had the thing in to the dealer twice already (the second time was at the request of the dealer to allow them the "opportunity" to make things right). Neither time did they actually do anything to the car - their line: "Honda acknowledges there is a problem in some cars, but there is no fix for it at this time." Completely unacceptable. I'll keep fighting. And, needless to say, this is the last Honda I'll buy.

By malayshah
on 08/07/12 13:49 PM (PDT)

I would suggest to go to https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ and file complaint

By deryls
on 09/04/12 14:24 PM (PDT)

By teresehutson
on 10/15/12 09:43 AM (PDT)

DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE! i am having the same issues with my NEW car. my husband refuses to drive in it because of the awful noise. i am completely taken aback by Honda's customer service. they basically said that the car is functioning, they cannot do anything about it. HORRIBLE!

By deryls
on 03/10/13 13:55 PM (PDT)

Just as an update: after 6 months of fighting, I am finally done with this 2012 Pilot (see my post from back in September). I succeeded in winning a Florida Lemon Law complaint, and Honda was forced to buy the car back from me. Glad to be done with this nightmare. Shame on Honda for not fulfilling their warranty obligations, and for handling this situation in the worst possible way. This was my third Honda in a row...will be my last.

By jphowell
on 05/13/13 17:36 PM (PDT)

The same issue here on my end. Bought the Pilot in early July of 2012. It used to be just when the car was idling at a stop, now it is when the car is moving at slow speeds (forward or reverse). I am wondering if Honda is doing a risk/cost analysis and determining that it will cost more to fix the issue vs. letting the issue continue...

By army_pilot
on 03/06/14 07:52 AM (PST)

To close this out, the issue was identified and fixed with TB 13-016. A new power steering pump and mount were designed, and the issue is covered under warranty. There's a copy of the TB from a member on piloteers.org.