Back on top
By a1addict on
2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
For 2012 Honda addressed many of my issues with the previous iteration. Front end looks way better, the interior looks and feels better, and the mileage has been improved. We were close to getting an Explorer XLT but then I gave the '12 Pilot a run. While they both have strengths and weaknesses, the Pilot just hits more marks, misses less and for the most part just feels more upscale. Its not fast, its not fun (what is in this class/price), but its very capable, spacious and look for it to be very reliable and trade-in-able where the Ford worried me. The HR would have been to give it 30 more hp and lb-ft and the six speed but I'd say Honda has a stand up double with this refresh.
Favorite Features
EX-L's built in hard drive, new info/backup screen, power gate, 18s, USB and more refined look and feel for very little premium over the '11. Well done. As much as I appreciate customization I think more brands should imitate Honda's packaging strategy. It makes finding and buying the vehicle so much easier and cost effective. Explorer XLT the way I wanted it was a bit more but still price competitive. The problem is you end up paying for stuff you don't need or want unless you're patient enough to order it and good luck getting the best deal that way. Sorry Ford I wanted to, you just didn't make it easy enough.
Suggested Improvements
Aforementioned 30hp and shiftable 6 speeder would make this truck unbeatable in its price/size range.