Used 2012 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

first pilot ongoing updates
By twowhldoug1

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well.my wife has 3,6500miles on the pilot already and it has averaged 21.6 MPG.Not bad for it's size.She is very happy with it and the only thing she is missing from her many Nissan's is the inteligent key system.We are leaving soon to go to N.J.(we live in Chattanooga Tn) for a wedding.I guess we will really get to know the pilot on this trip.Instead of taking a pack of audio CD's to feed the bose I am carrying one jump drive.It has 665 songs on it.She has already gotten a flat tire but the tire warning system did it's job and she knew before there was a danger.Myself I think it is a little sluggish but you can't have everything.Will update again after return.Should be about 3,000 mile trip

Favorite Features

Friendly controls and audio system.Good visibility.Good handling.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing that stands out at this time.

AC Problem
By malayshah

2012 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is first summer for this car and I notice when AC in on and car is not moving there is some kind of moaning loud noise coming from the engine. I took my car to the dealer from where I purchased this vehicle. I was informed that Honda Motors is aware about this issue in 2012 Pilot. Till the date Honda Motors did not solve this problem. Please make a note that the noise is very loud when AC is on and car is not moving. This noise is very annoying. This loud noise giving me migraine every day. DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE UNTIL HONDA SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.

Great SUV
By wjallen101

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I use SUV lightly because the Pilot is built on the Odyssey platform. That said, the Pilot is great. My choice was between the Grand Cherokee and Pilot. Before the test drive I was leaning towards the Cherokee. The Cherokee was clearly "more fun" to drive. But I determined that I didn't agree with the negative reviews about the Pilot and it's sluggish acceleration. The drive was still fun and acceleration more than enough. Overall, the Pilot made more sense for my family and I. The 4WD is really an AWD. But I don't do off-roading. I only wanted a SUV that we could take to the mountains under all weather conditions. Therefore the build, size, mpg, storage and tech features were perfect.

Favorite Features

interior space and features.

Suggested Improvements

front-end visibility.

Road trip
By mcallen1309

2012 Honda Pilot Touring 4dr SUV w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just got back from a 4100 mile road trip through 5 states with 3 kids my wife and I. The Pilot was roomy enough and handled very well. I was impressed having owned suburbans and excursions before. Gas mileage was good. I don't like the way audio controls are set up and that you can't dim the dashboard lights at night, Honda should change these things. The seats were uncomfortable after 10 hours of driving but I don't know many seats that would be. But if something can be done ,please change it. Great overall.

Favorite Features

Space, gas mileage, audio sound.

Suggested Improvements

Comfortable seats , adjustable dimming of dashboard lights, wider tires.

First Pilot,used to have Nissan
By twowhldoug

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well we just bought a 2012 pilot.We traded in a 2010 Nissan Rogue(58,000miles).We wanted a little bigger car(2 grand kids)but the Pathfinder needs premium fuel.We decided to try a honda.We know going in the fuel milage will be not so good.Hoping for the honda reliability(the sun roof will not close properly)on the first day.And it started raining.Got it to close.The blue tooth paired with wifes phone effortlessly.WE will be putting more than 30,000miles on it the first year,so I will keep posting updates on how we like it and how it is doing.

Favorite Features

We were diss. that the disc player is only a single disc(our Rogue was a Bose 6 disc)but this one can use an I-pod or read from a flash drive,and can hold a bunch of discs on it's internal memory.That should take care of not having a 6 disc player.Also like the back-up camera.The glove box is very small,but the center council is very big!

Suggested Improvements

None at this time,but will add if we find some.