2012 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
Dont buy the pilot
By hondasucks5 on 03/29/12 16:36 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the 2012 Pilot because of its reputation for being both dependable and reliable. How wrong I was. The car has 500 miles on it and wont start correctly. Honda aware of problem and offer no solution. Customer service is horrible. I've been told to keep turning the key until the engine starts. "It's safe to drive." No one from the company will put any of this in writing. Buyer beware !!

Don't Believe Everything You Read
By djm21 on 03/19/12 05:37 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Given the title, you may not want to believe this review either, but all I can say is that I have no motivation to make this up. The biggest gripe about our now 1 month old 2012 pilot is the horrible ride due to this crazy ECO / VCM (Variable Cylinder Mgmnt) thing they have designed in it to save gas. You can research more on the internet yourself, but the shuddering that happens when cruzing is very annoying. Constant acceleration is smooth, but cruzing, is shudder city. Feels like driving 25mph in 6th speed. I can't believe Edmunds wrote "Pros: Impressive fuel economy; pleasant ride..." in their review. Are you kidding me? and I haven't seen more than 21mpg yet either .

2nd one and love it even more.
By thomasj106 on 03/14/12 05:47 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Pilot is spacious and is loaded with features. The Nav system interface has improved dramatically. The new phone integration into the system is so much better than the 2010 model. Fuel economy is better in my new 4WD version that it was in my 2010 FWD. Amazing. Drawbacks to me include: 1) Acceleration/HP could be a little better, although acceleration has improved over the 2010. 2) The braking feels worse. In bumper to bumper I was nervous about stopping. 3) The Nav's turn-by-turn has added a glitch. Exit warnings come up too early. I got off an exit twice because the system showed me getting off two exits ahead. 4) Voice recognition seems problematic now, but wasn't before.

Great Car - Great Dealer
By paul_sb on 03/05/12 08:41 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

SUV is awesome, i got this for my wife but i am always stealing it on her. Back-up cam and NAV are great. Moon roof is great especially in summer. I drove some big executives that normally drive Mercedes and Lexus, to a golf tournament this summer and they were blown away by the Pilot. I got this SUV through DCH Honda in Paramus, great group of people over there. They offered me the most competitive price around, without any haggling. The process was quick, painless and everyone was very pleasant. If you like Honda's and want to make sure you are taken care of fairly and by a car dealer you can trust, do yourself a favor and go straight to DCH Paramus.

Big Problem
By joyfuljoy on 01/24/12 10:55 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my 2012 Honda Pilot for over two months now. The first day I drove it from the lot (I test drove a different car and picked mine for color-so never drove mine) There was a loud humming noise when the AC compressor kicked on. The dealership replaced the Power steering twice (at 200 miles and 600 miles) Needless to say, the humming noise is there louder than ever. I filed a vehicle defect notification with Honda. I received a letter saying they are going to attempt to correct the problem for the third time. He said it should lower the noise but not eliminate it. I am so upset. I feel like I live at my dealership/service dept. I wish I never bought this 2012 Pilot

Third Pilot Owned
By wallsttrader on 01/07/12 16:18 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased a 2012 LX 4WD for 28,000 before taxes and plates. Much better than the 2011 LX 4WD I traded in. Traded in the 2011 because my company pays for my vechicle. I expected the 12 to be the same as the 11. However, I found the 12 handles much better at highway speeds on twisty roads. Not sure why, but the tires are more highway like. But, the difference is huge. City gas mileage is much better by about 2MPG. Freeway mileage is about the same. I also have a 2011 Toyota Highlander. The 2011 Highlander was much better than the 11 Pilot. However, the 12 Pilot is as good as the 11 Highlander. However, Highlander still gets a little better mileage than 12 Highlander.

Things to watch out for on a 2012 4WD EX-L
By flyguy405 on 12/22/11 14:33 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had the vehicle for about 3 months and have repeatedly tried to resolve a vibration/buzz in the vehicle. There was a vibration at 65-80mph in the steering and frame. There is a buzz when driving at any speed above 55mph. For the vibration I had to take it in 4 times and they were finally able to get rid of most of it. Replaced tires, and doing a RoadForce balance. There is still some vibration at 80mph. The buzz will always be there. Honda USA representative (customer service) said that "is characteristic for this vehicle". Take away from this, if you have your heart set on a Pilot, take it for an extended drive and make sure that you can live with these symptoms. Good Luck

From 2011 Pilot to VW back to 2012 Pilot
By pa350z2006 on 12/16/11 11:25 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have only had my 2012 Pilot EX-L 4WD for 1,000 miles but felt compelled to write a review since I had owned a 2011. I left the 2011 because the car was just too loud with road noise as I found myself turning up the radio to drown out the noise. I went to a VW and have to say that car was a very nicely built car, but the ride was just punishing, it had more of a sport suspension. I came back to the Pilot and it feels good to be in a smooth riding car. They really did address the issues for 2012, at least some of them. The noise level is down quite a bit from the 2011 model and they fixed the messy center stack of controls.

Happy So Far
By photo49 on 12/07/11 13:16 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After driving a small Audi for 3 years I decided to go back to an SUV. I wanted three row seating, 4 wheel drive, good handling, and decent gas mileage. I had ruled out the 2011 Pilot because I had read so many complaints about road noise, which I hate. However, when I read that this issue had been addressed in the 2012 model, it moved it back to the top of my list. I've had it for 6 weeks and have driven 4,000 miles. It's pretty quiet (for an SUV), it handles well both on and off paved roads, it's comfortable, storage is great, and it gets about 21 mpg in mostly highway driving. Acceleration is a little pokey and braking distances a bit long, but overall I'm really happy with my Pilot.

Nice SUV - smooth drive
By ma75 on 11/09/11 20:02 PM (PST)

First ever SUV, Best SUV in this price range

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Honda Pilot Suv in VA is:

$143 per month*