2012 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
One of the Best SUV's out there!
By ldecastro1 on 05/04/14 10:41 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Before we purchased our 2012 Honda Pilot, we test drove all of the top similar-sized SUVs. For appearance, comfort, space, 4x4 capability, and handling we decided to go with the Pilot. First, let me tell you that the Pilot is one of the most comfortable cars that I have ever driven. The heated leather seats rival even my sofa in comfort. The back seats also recline and the third row offer regular-sized seats. The car handles very well in all kinds of weather (we live in Vermont) and tackles our summer pot holes and severe winter storms with ease. We have 20,000 miles on our Pilot and this car has been 100% reliable. The fuel economy is great for a car this heavy and big.

Junk
By kadamec on 11/27/13 06:26 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Bad...This is easily the worst car I've ever owned. The active fuel management does not work properly. After many trips to the Honda dealer, they say that the car is OK and nothing is wrong. At 60 - 70 MPH the car vibrates and sounds like its gasping for air. An audible sound from the engine compartment is easily heard when the engine transitions from 6 cylinders to 4. Dump the tires too. They are so rock hard for milage purposes that after 25,000 the ride is rough.

Mixed emotions
By pa350z2006 on 09/11/13 07:37 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my 2012 for 1.5 years now and 25,000 miles later. No major issues to date that left me stranded, getting the AC noise hopefully fixed this friday and warped rotors already. What is concerning is the vibration at 70mph. I would be cautious when buying this car, there is something going on here with the cylinder deactivation system. My car was fine till around 23k and then all of a sudden I have vibration coming from the front into the steering wheel and car. Its not alot but can tell its from the engine. Set the car at cruise 70mph on flat road, let it start to climb uphill slowly in eco mode and you will feel the vibration.

Take a longer test drive!!
By larabie1967 on 12/08/12 21:46 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have a 2012 Pilot for 6 Months bought brand new . The seats are extremely hard and an inch shorter than my jeep , the lumbar does not retract far enough , can't shut the middle vents off , accidently knocked it out of gear changing the radio dial, sunroof blow directly on your head , very loud over bumps and on highway, can't open one or all the windows without a very loud noise that sounds like it will blow your eardrums out ! Radio / heat controls Not at all easy to control , inside of front tires wearing badly after 12000 miles, 4 adults cant fit comfortably , vibration in the front end . the wiper, and light controls are hidden behind the str wheel , Can't wait to get rid of it !!!!!

Sturdy and Capable
By jaybou on 08/24/12 20:33 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We look for utilities in SUVs, and Pilot stood out the most among other 3-row seat SUVs we looked at. It offers a solid ride, with the not-so-new-tech yet proven quality engine, the VCM for fuel efficiency, and a very spacious interior which seats 8 passengers comfortably. The last point was very important to us. When test-drove a Toyota Highlander, we found that the 2nd-row middle seat was not quite a full seat (removable). We find the ride to be very smooth (Listen with a grain of salt to those critics who say Pilot has a sluggish acceleration. The Pilot is probably not meant for them anyway who frequently test drive and might even own sports cars. It's perfectly fine for family use.)

Things to watch out for on a 2012 4WD EX-L
By flyguy405 on 12/22/11 14:33 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had the vehicle for about 3 months and have repeatedly tried to resolve a vibration/buzz in the vehicle. There was a vibration at 65-80mph in the steering and frame. There is a buzz when driving at any speed above 55mph. For the vibration I had to take it in 4 times and they were finally able to get rid of most of it. Replaced tires, and doing a RoadForce balance. There is still some vibration at 80mph. The buzz will always be there. Honda USA representative (customer service) said that "is characteristic for this vehicle". Take away from this, if you have your heart set on a Pilot, take it for an extended drive and make sure that you can live with these symptoms. Good Luck

From 2011 Pilot to VW back to 2012 Pilot
By pa350z2006 on 12/16/11 11:25 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have only had my 2012 Pilot EX-L 4WD for 1,000 miles but felt compelled to write a review since I had owned a 2011. I left the 2011 because the car was just too loud with road noise as I found myself turning up the radio to drown out the noise. I went to a VW and have to say that car was a very nicely built car, but the ride was just punishing, it had more of a sport suspension. I came back to the Pilot and it feels good to be in a smooth riding car. They really did address the issues for 2012, at least some of them. The noise level is down quite a bit from the 2011 model and they fixed the messy center stack of controls.

Nice SUV - smooth drive
By ma75 on 11/09/11 20:02 PM (PST)

First ever SUV, Best SUV in this price range

Back on top
By a1addict on 11/09/11 11:43 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

For 2012 Honda addressed many of my issues with the previous iteration. Front end looks way better, the interior looks and feels better, and the mileage has been improved. We were close to getting an Explorer XLT but then I gave the '12 Pilot a run. While they both have strengths and weaknesses, the Pilot just hits more marks, misses less and for the most part just feels more upscale. Its not fast, its not fun (what is in this class/price), but its very capable, spacious and look for it to be very reliable and trade-in-able where the Ford worried me. The HR would have been to give it 30 more hp and lb-ft and the six speed but I'd say Honda has a stand up double with this refresh.

Lack of Power
By flyguy405 on 11/07/11 07:17 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought a 2012 last month and have put 3500 miles on it. Biggest gripe is the lack of power from a standing start. Either the gearing in first was changed to somehow get better mileage or the computer is not set up correctly. Power kicks in at about 3500rpm. Actually makes it real difficult to pull into traffic. Dang thing crawls along until you get to that rpm. Just took it on a 2000 mile road trip and averaged 21 MPG. Not bad for 80-85 speeds. (AZ/NM/CO) with hills. Rest of the stuff on it works well. Wish there was a lumbar support on the pax seat and a fulltime power plug.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Honda Pilot Suv in VA is:

$144 per month*