2012 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
round 3 12,000miles
By twowhldoug1 on 11/15/12 13:47 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have taken the pilot to N J and then to disney world.We now have over 12k miles.The pilot has good maners on the interstate.and is comfy on long trips.The mileage seems to average 25.6 or better.I drafted an 18 whlr for a 100 miles and got 27.8 but thats another story.Only things we have found are the audio sys when using a flash drive is unpredictable(songs will repeat come up diff order etc.)And when hot in traffic if you turn right hard then step on gas will 5out of 6 times hesitate before going,will also do same if you leave a light and have to let off gas then get back in it.Over all we are very happy with pilot as compared to Nissan.Wife has hard time backing in driveway at night.

Transmission/ECO Managment Shuttering Vibration
By rcookster on 11/12/12 19:20 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have had my 2012 Pilot 2 months. When driving at constant speed the ECO Variable Management system seems to keep transmission from downshifting appropriately and you can feel a vibration/rough driving until you accelerate or cancel the cruise control. First service had it checked. Tech said it seemed to be a problem but did not throw a code. He called Honda Tech line. Told that they have complaints about this, but it was just characteristic of the 2012 Pilot. Today I went to the Dealer and drove another 2012 Pilot. Yep, it did it too.Thought I would work out a trade of my new 2012 for a 2013, but..you guessed it, the 2013 did it too! Beware -Honda definitely has an engineering issue here!!

first pilot ongoing updates
By twowhldoug1 on 08/15/12 13:45 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well.my wife has 3,6500miles on the pilot already and it has averaged 21.6 MPG.Not bad for it's size.She is very happy with it and the only thing she is missing from her many Nissan's is the inteligent key system.We are leaving soon to go to N.J.(we live in Chattanooga Tn) for a wedding.I guess we will really get to know the pilot on this trip.Instead of taking a pack of audio CD's to feed the bose I am carrying one jump drive.It has 665 songs on it.She has already gotten a flat tire but the tire warning system did it's job and she knew before there was a danger.Myself I think it is a little sluggish but you can't have everything.Will update again after return.Should be about 3,000 mile trip

Great SUV
By wjallen101 on 08/03/12 05:22 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I use SUV lightly because the Pilot is built on the Odyssey platform. That said, the Pilot is great. My choice was between the Grand Cherokee and Pilot. Before the test drive I was leaning towards the Cherokee. The Cherokee was clearly "more fun" to drive. But I determined that I didn't agree with the negative reviews about the Pilot and it's sluggish acceleration. The drive was still fun and acceleration more than enough. Overall, the Pilot made more sense for my family and I. The 4WD is really an AWD. But I don't do off-roading. I only wanted a SUV that we could take to the mountains under all weather conditions. Therefore the build, size, mpg, storage and tech features were perfect.

First Pilot,used to have Nissan
By twowhldoug on 06/12/12 13:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well we just bought a 2012 pilot.We traded in a 2010 Nissan Rogue(58,000miles).We wanted a little bigger car(2 grand kids)but the Pathfinder needs premium fuel.We decided to try a honda.We know going in the fuel milage will be not so good.Hoping for the honda reliability(the sun roof will not close properly)on the first day.And it started raining.Got it to close.The blue tooth paired with wifes phone effortlessly.WE will be putting more than 30,000miles on it the first year,so I will keep posting updates on how we like it and how it is doing.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Honda Pilot Suv in NJ is:

$233 per month*