2012 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
One of the Best SUV's out there!
By ldecastro1 on 05/04/14 10:41 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Before we purchased our 2012 Honda Pilot, we test drove all of the top similar-sized SUVs. For appearance, comfort, space, 4x4 capability, and handling we decided to go with the Pilot. First, let me tell you that the Pilot is one of the most comfortable cars that I have ever driven. The heated leather seats rival even my sofa in comfort. The back seats also recline and the third row offer regular-sized seats. The car handles very well in all kinds of weather (we live in Vermont) and tackles our summer pot holes and severe winter storms with ease. We have 20,000 miles on our Pilot and this car has been 100% reliable. The fuel economy is great for a car this heavy and big.

2012 Pilot Touring 4x4
By ndjacks on 03/06/14 10:32 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Pilot, I loved our 2005 model. But this review is for our 2012. As you research the 2012, many Pilot owners will complain about a vibration at various speeds, it is very annoying and I hate it. The dealer says the same thing to everyone that complains, it is normal, it is the variable cylinder management system. Maybe normal for Honda, but not something you should feel EVERYTIME you drive it, it should be seamless. I told a service writer to enter it on the service ticket, he did it by hand, guess Honda doesn't want proper documentation or a paper trail. Otherwise it's a great vehicle if you need to haul 8 people around.

Hurray Pilot
By runeye on 12/14/13 07:05 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Pilot is a decent SUV. The acceleration is pretty good for an SUV though you really have to rev it if you want the full power of the startup torque. Highway driving is fun with this vehicle as the gear changes are smooth. Spacious interior with quality leather and the foldable backseat help since I carry heavy equipment with the work I do. I don't really use the entertainment much unless I have friedns with me. The Nav system works well and efficiently. My only issue with the vehicle was for a while, the Hold button on my key wasn't opening the trunk and I had to do it manually. Then a week later, it would work, and then stop working. But now it seems that problem is gone.

Junk
By kadamec on 11/27/13 06:26 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Bad...This is easily the worst car I've ever owned. The active fuel management does not work properly. After many trips to the Honda dealer, they say that the car is OK and nothing is wrong. At 60 - 70 MPH the car vibrates and sounds like its gasping for air. An audible sound from the engine compartment is easily heard when the engine transitions from 6 cylinders to 4. Dump the tires too. They are so rock hard for milage purposes that after 25,000 the ride is rough.

Mixed emotions
By pa350z2006 on 09/11/13 07:37 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my 2012 for 1.5 years now and 25,000 miles later. No major issues to date that left me stranded, getting the AC noise hopefully fixed this friday and warped rotors already. What is concerning is the vibration at 70mph. I would be cautious when buying this car, there is something going on here with the cylinder deactivation system. My car was fine till around 23k and then all of a sudden I have vibration coming from the front into the steering wheel and car. Its not alot but can tell its from the engine. Set the car at cruise 70mph on flat road, let it start to climb uphill slowly in eco mode and you will feel the vibration.

Great SUV but no where close do MDX
By brwndoggy on 07/20/13 12:36 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased 2012 EXl with Nav almost 2 years ago. Averaging 17mpg city, 21 hwy. Far less than rated but that's the case on all cars I've driven save my 2008 bmw 3 series that gets more than epa ratings... Drives well, have issues with front tires on lose ground given the power of the suv, tires do slip especially given the tires since they are for mpg vs handling. inside, appointments are great. love the radio, blue tooth syncs well with phones via usb or blutooth. standard audio package is good, did not see need for upgraded audio. rear camera - mixed blessing. use it only as general help, do not rely on it. use your mirrors and turn your head. sensors would be nice.

Take a longer test drive!!
By larabie1967 on 12/08/12 21:46 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have a 2012 Pilot for 6 Months bought brand new . The seats are extremely hard and an inch shorter than my jeep , the lumbar does not retract far enough , can't shut the middle vents off , accidently knocked it out of gear changing the radio dial, sunroof blow directly on your head , very loud over bumps and on highway, can't open one or all the windows without a very loud noise that sounds like it will blow your eardrums out ! Radio / heat controls Not at all easy to control , inside of front tires wearing badly after 12000 miles, 4 adults cant fit comfortably , vibration in the front end . the wiper, and light controls are hidden behind the str wheel , Can't wait to get rid of it !!!!!

round 3 12,000miles
By twowhldoug1 on 11/15/12 13:47 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We have taken the pilot to N J and then to disney world.We now have over 12k miles.The pilot has good maners on the interstate.and is comfy on long trips.The mileage seems to average 25.6 or better.I drafted an 18 whlr for a 100 miles and got 27.8 but thats another story.Only things we have found are the audio sys when using a flash drive is unpredictable(songs will repeat come up diff order etc.)And when hot in traffic if you turn right hard then step on gas will 5out of 6 times hesitate before going,will also do same if you leave a light and have to let off gas then get back in it.Over all we are very happy with pilot as compared to Nissan.Wife has hard time backing in driveway at night.

Transmission/ECO Managment Shuttering Vibration
By rcookster on 11/12/12 19:20 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have had my 2012 Pilot 2 months. When driving at constant speed the ECO Variable Management system seems to keep transmission from downshifting appropriately and you can feel a vibration/rough driving until you accelerate or cancel the cruise control. First service had it checked. Tech said it seemed to be a problem but did not throw a code. He called Honda Tech line. Told that they have complaints about this, but it was just characteristic of the 2012 Pilot. Today I went to the Dealer and drove another 2012 Pilot. Yep, it did it too.Thought I would work out a trade of my new 2012 for a 2013, but..you guessed it, the 2013 did it too! Beware -Honda definitely has an engineering issue here!!

Sturdy and Capable
By jaybou on 08/24/12 20:33 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We look for utilities in SUVs, and Pilot stood out the most among other 3-row seat SUVs we looked at. It offers a solid ride, with the not-so-new-tech yet proven quality engine, the VCM for fuel efficiency, and a very spacious interior which seats 8 passengers comfortably. The last point was very important to us. When test-drove a Toyota Highlander, we found that the 2nd-row middle seat was not quite a full seat (removable). We find the ride to be very smooth (Listen with a grain of salt to those critics who say Pilot has a sluggish acceleration. The Pilot is probably not meant for them anyway who frequently test drive and might even own sports cars. It's perfectly fine for family use.)

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Honda Pilot Suv in VA is:

$143 per month*