Used 2012 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
Windshield
By Becky Haley Wilson on 03/12/15 08:14 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love my 2012 Pilot I traded in a 2007 Pilot and love it also. The only problem I have is that in the 3 months that I've owned it, I have 4 chips in my windshield. I didn't have one on the 2007 windshield. Driving the same roads at the same speeds. Is this due to the way the windshield slope or lack there of? Just curious if anyone else has this problem.

Blue tooth/home link
By sharynk on 03/10/15 18:48 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I hate the hands free. So far the car has been evaluated and 2 microphones replaced, 1 blue tooth, speakers. I still have garbled voices on both ends. When connecting the noise is also garbled. I called the service department from my car and I was asked to call back on a land line. What is wrong with this? I realize this is not necessarily the service departments techs as they need to follow proticall but but but. I can't be the only car with this problem. I know I'm not. Hope I can get this resolved. I have had a few honda pilots and I now am very unhappy,

Drivetrain shutters at cruise speed
By alesper on 02/28/15 20:34 PM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Maybe if enough people complain about the transmission shuttering at cruise speed on Honda, they will recall and fix. My wife's 2012 Pilot shutters. Her 2006 CRV did it worse. And, it got worse as it got older. Luckily, she automatically trades in at 4 years. The 2003 CRV was perfect, wish she had not ever traded it.

Best SUV I have owned.
By bluewaters94 on 08/29/14 06:03 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I ended up with my 2012 pilot after a long search for a decently priced SUV that would accommodate 3 car seats across the middle seat because I have triplets and did not want a minivan. I have owned 3 other SUV's and the Pilot, being the 4th, is by far the nicest and most reliable. I have about 27,000 miles on mine and, to date, have not experienced any of the vibration problems others have written about. You get a lot for the money with this car and even better is that it really holds its value. I definitely plan on driving this one into the ground!

One of the Best SUV's out there!
By ldecastro1 on 05/04/14 10:41 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Before we purchased our 2012 Honda Pilot, we test drove all of the top similar-sized SUVs. For appearance, comfort, space, 4x4 capability, and handling we decided to go with the Pilot. First, let me tell you that the Pilot is one of the most comfortable cars that I have ever driven. The heated leather seats rival even my sofa in comfort. The back seats also recline and the third row offer regular-sized seats. The car handles very well in all kinds of weather (we live in Vermont) and tackles our summer pot holes and severe winter storms with ease. We have 20,000 miles on our Pilot and this car has been 100% reliable. The fuel economy is great for a car this heavy and big.

2012 Pilot Touring 4x4
By ndjacks on 03/06/14 10:32 AM (PST)

This is my second Pilot, I loved our 2005 model. But this review is for our 2012. As you research the 2012, many Pilot owners will complain about a vibration at various speeds, it is very annoying and I hate it. The dealer says the same thing to everyone that complains, it is normal, it is the variable cylinder management system. Maybe normal for Honda, but not something you should feel EVERYTIME you drive it, it should be seamless. I told a service writer to enter it on the service ticket, he did it by hand, guess Honda doesn't want proper documentation or a paper trail. Otherwise it's a great vehicle if you need to haul 8 people around.

Hurray Pilot
By runeye on 12/14/13 07:05 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Pilot is a decent SUV. The acceleration is pretty good for an SUV though you really have to rev it if you want the full power of the startup torque. Highway driving is fun with this vehicle as the gear changes are smooth. Spacious interior with quality leather and the foldable backseat help since I carry heavy equipment with the work I do. I don't really use the entertainment much unless I have friedns with me. The Nav system works well and efficiently. My only issue with the vehicle was for a while, the Hold button on my key wasn't opening the trunk and I had to do it manually. Then a week later, it would work, and then stop working. But now it seems that problem is gone.

Junk
By kadamec on 11/27/13 06:26 AM (PST)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Bad...This is easily the worst car I've ever owned. The active fuel management does not work properly. After many trips to the Honda dealer, they say that the car is OK and nothing is wrong. At 60 - 70 MPH the car vibrates and sounds like its gasping for air. An audible sound from the engine compartment is easily heard when the engine transitions from 6 cylinders to 4. Dump the tires too. They are so rock hard for milage purposes that after 25,000 the ride is rough.

Mixed emotions
By pa350z2006 on 09/11/13 07:37 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my 2012 for 1.5 years now and 25,000 miles later. No major issues to date that left me stranded, getting the AC noise hopefully fixed this friday and warped rotors already. What is concerning is the vibration at 70mph. I would be cautious when buying this car, there is something going on here with the cylinder deactivation system. My car was fine till around 23k and then all of a sudden I have vibration coming from the front into the steering wheel and car. Its not alot but can tell its from the engine. Set the car at cruise 70mph on flat road, let it start to climb uphill slowly in eco mode and you will feel the vibration.

Great SUV but no where close do MDX
By brwndoggy on 07/20/13 12:36 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased 2012 EXl with Nav almost 2 years ago. Averaging 17mpg city, 21 hwy. Far less than rated but that's the case on all cars I've driven save my 2008 bmw 3 series that gets more than epa ratings... Drives well, have issues with front tires on lose ground given the power of the suv, tires do slip especially given the tires since they are for mpg vs handling. inside, appointments are great. love the radio, blue tooth syncs well with phones via usb or blutooth. standard audio package is good, did not see need for upgraded audio. rear camera - mixed blessing. use it only as general help, do not rely on it. use your mirrors and turn your head. sensors would be nice.