Used 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

One of the Best SUV's out there!
By ldecastro1

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Before we purchased our 2012 Honda Pilot, we test drove all of the top similar-sized SUVs. For appearance, comfort, space, 4x4 capability, and handling we decided to go with the Pilot. First, let me tell you that the Pilot is one of the most comfortable cars that I have ever driven. The heated leather seats rival even my sofa in comfort. The back seats also recline and the third row offer regular-sized seats. The car handles very well in all kinds of weather (we live in Vermont) and tackles our summer pot holes and severe winter storms with ease. We have 20,000 miles on our Pilot and this car has been 100% reliable. The fuel economy is great for a car this heavy and big.

Honda reliability, large safe car with commanding view, very comfortable heated leather seats, tons of space for my kids and all of our vacation gear, excellent fuel economy for a big heavy SUV.

I read all of the negative comments about the ECO system. Our Pilot does seem to get caught between shifts, which is a bit strange, but you get used to it and barely notice it after awhile. This is by no means a deal breaker for us because this car does so many other things so well and even my $48,000 Volvo wasn't perfect.

Junk
By kadamec

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Bad...This is easily the worst car I've ever owned. The active fuel management does not work properly. After many trips to the Honda dealer, they say that the car is OK and nothing is wrong. At 60 - 70 MPH the car vibrates and sounds like its gasping for air. An audible sound from the engine compartment is easily heard when the engine transitions from 6 cylinders to 4. Dump the tires too. They are so rock hard for milage purposes that after 25,000 the ride is rough.

The good...Honda does do a nice job with the use of the interior. Tons of space

Dump the active fuel management. I decided to trade in the car for a new car and the day after I made the deal, I received a class action lawsuit notice from California regarding Honda's with the same problems. For Two years, Honda told me that there were NO problems.

Mixed emotions
By pa350z2006

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my 2012 for 1.5 years now and 25,000 miles later. No major issues to date that left me stranded, getting the AC noise hopefully fixed this friday and warped rotors already. What is concerning is the vibration at 70mph. I would be cautious when buying this car, there is something going on here with the cylinder deactivation system. My car was fine till around 23k and then all of a sudden I have vibration coming from the front into the steering wheel and car. Its not alot but can tell its from the engine. Set the car at cruise 70mph on flat road, let it start to climb uphill slowly in eco mode and you will feel the vibration.

Tons and tons of space. Love the storage area in the cargo floor. I keep all my towing supplies in there, a small tool set, an air pump and more! Tons of cup holders for long drives and also the spaces to put things is great. I had looked at a 4 runner and really prefered that style however it had no place to put anything. Seats I believe are more comfortable than the current highlander.

Need armrests without edges, would be nice to have a nice padded arm rest. Better cruise control unit that keeps you at the set speed and does not vary up and down. Toyota's never did this. HD radio standard.

Take a longer test drive!!
By larabie1967

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Have a 2012 Pilot for 6 Months bought brand new . The seats are extremely hard and an inch shorter than my jeep , the lumbar does not retract far enough , can't shut the middle vents off , accidently knocked it out of gear changing the radio dial, sunroof blow directly on your head , very loud over bumps and on highway, can't open one or all the windows without a very loud noise that sounds like it will blow your eardrums out ! Radio / heat controls Not at all easy to control , inside of front tires wearing badly after 12000 miles, 4 adults cant fit comfortably , vibration in the front end . the wiper, and light controls are hidden behind the str wheel , Can't wait to get rid of it !!!!!

None !!

Improve the seat comfort, move the shifter to a safe spot ,easy to knock out of gear , Could KILL someone who knocks it out of gear changing the radio in an intersection !! Its loud on the highway !! Dont know how to improve this , Improve legroom, Make the fan shut off with one switch. The radio/heat controls are WAY more complicated than the could be !! Computer controls should ease operation not complicate it !! Add scan/ Tune to steering wheel radio controls , Add shutoffs to middle vents , why this isn't here is stupid, improve air resistance at sunroof, plastic door jams are Impossible to clean !! Can't clean inside of wheels . Front arm rest is curved and short why is this ????

Sturdy and Capable
By jaybou

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We look for utilities in SUVs, and Pilot stood out the most among other 3-row seat SUVs we looked at. It offers a solid ride, with the not-so-new-tech yet proven quality engine, the VCM for fuel efficiency, and a very spacious interior which seats 8 passengers comfortably. The last point was very important to us. When test-drove a Toyota Highlander, we found that the 2nd-row middle seat was not quite a full seat (removable). We find the ride to be very smooth (Listen with a grain of salt to those critics who say Pilot has a sluggish acceleration. The Pilot is probably not meant for them anyway who frequently test drive and might even own sports cars. It's perfectly fine for family use.)

Built quality, Interior quietness (not sure why some complains about noisiness), Spaciousness, Firmness, Safety rating, Lots of storage space, Smooth engine, Power lift gate, 8" iMid information screen with rearview camera, Heated leather seats, 8 passenger seating. iPhone integration via Bluetooth. This trim level offers a very comprehensive set of features that make our driving experience comfortable and enjoyable.

I find it odd that the music file format such as MP3 is not compatible. You would actually have to insert a purchased CD (with .WAV format) to upload songs to the internal 2GB hard drive. Purely from aesthetic stand-point (and it's a minor thing), roof-rails should come as a standard. I think a Pilot would look much nicer with the rails.