Used 2011 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2011 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Most Helpful|
Disappointed
By Kay

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have been extremely disappointed with my new Pilot. Having owned Hondas in the past, I expected no problems but have many. Paint peeling on front bumper, scrubbing in front end when turning and breaking at same time, sunroof won't close if you are stopped, skipping on cool mornings, latch on 3rd row seat snapped. I hate to continue with negatives. Wish I had my GMC Yukon back! Took to dealership for the scrubbing, they said it was anti-lock breaks. They will paint my bumper but not replace it. This is not acceptable to have body work on a brand new vehicle especially when the mfg plant is 30 minutes away where they have newly painted bumpers to install on new Pilots. MPG not good.

Suggested Improvements

Improve your painting, sunroof closure, front-end break scrubbing, and MPG. Transmission shifting down to 3 cylinders is not smooth.

Just Ok
By carguy163

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I was disappointed in the Pilot. I purchased a 2011 EX-L. What disappointed me the most was the poor gas mileage for a relatively weak engine for the size of the vehicle. I was barely getting 17MPG overall. I bought the SUV for the size, it is big and can carry a lot of cargo. The ride is good, but very stiff. I had no major problems, but there was a constant allignment issue that I had to have fixed several times. I would not recommend because I feel there are much better other similiar vehicles available for the same money.

Favorite Features

The amount of cargo space. The solid feel to the build quality.

Suggested Improvements

Improve poor gas mileage. Increase engine performance and increase horsepower. Not fun to drive at all.

Pilot engine is up roaring...
By hondaguy

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After driving my brand new Honda Pilot 2011 EX-L with DVD, I felt like the engine is up roaring when driving with speed < 60 mph. if I drive more than 60 mph then engine is kind of smoother. I haven't noticed the noisy engine after driving ~ 3000 miles on it. Will bring back to dealer to check if there is any problem with the engine. And I hate to go back to the dealer since all I heard "work as expected" but it does NOT.

Favorite Features

DVD, you can change any DVD movie during the drive

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage: needs to improve a lot. Road Noise: forever Honda problem? Cargo Room: wish it has more cargo room

So disappointing
By mbeach

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After 7 months of car shopping, I finally bought a Honda Pilot. Planned on having for years. Bought in June 2010 and looking to replace although will lose money. The seats are so uncomfortable it ruins the entire experience. Not adjustable and C shaped in the upper back with headrest pushing head forward. Long rides are unbearable. I am 5'7" and husband 6'0" and cannot adjust to either of us. Sunroof not consistent and back hatch inside fascia came up already. Cannot see paying for something that cannot ever get comfortable in. Looking at a Kia Sorento, so disappointed in my purchase and looking at options, ruined my impression of Honda as this was my first.

Favorite Features

options, 3 rows, size

Suggested Improvements

Change the seats and headrests! People are not shaped like the letter C! Even the arm placement while driving is off at the elbows. Cannot believe this made it to market without comment/complaints. I plan on telling EVERYONE! They are not fully adjustable seats! (leather package)

2011 Pilot Touring Engine Noise
By dgsheridan

2011 Honda Pilot Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I do not recommend this vehicle. Engine has a rattling sound during acceleration, much like a chain dragging the ground. Dealer initially changed out a part in the exhaust system which didn't fix the problem. Dealer now says it's a characteristic of all Pilots and is normal. After 8,800 miles, the noise is getting louder.

Favorite Features

Nice stereo system.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the problem causing the engine noise. Very rough ride, more so than my pickup truck or Jeep Wrangler. Also, the NAVI should have lifetime map updates for the price charged for this system.