Used 2011 Honda Pilot EX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2011 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Pros outweigh cons
By shadyoak

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Pilot sometimes hesitates at highway speeds due to complexity of interaction between cylinder changes, transmission and torque converter. Pilot had been on lot for six months with 200 miles of test drives. Body had several minor dings which dealer fixed. Interior had several minor dings on hard plastic which could not be fixed. Tailgate is slightly off center. I purchased the Pilot with a $5000 discount and 1.9% financing.

Favorite Features

Nice styling, good handling, smooth suspension, quiet. Unlike Edmunds review, I find the acceleration and braking fully adequate for this size vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Engine alternates between 3, 4 and 6 cylinders which should increase MPG. I traded in a 2004 Pilot that always used 6 cylinders and the 2004 MPG was as good as the 2011. Alternating cylinder changes can be felt. 2004 drove without hesitation at highway speeds but the 2011 handles better in the mountains. My 2004 was an excellent vehicle and my wife's 2011 CRV is excellent. The 2011 Pilot is good.

AMAZING SUV
By footballmom3

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased 4 months ago and I absolutely LOVE my 2011 Polit! This is the perfect family vehicle. It handles like a car. Very smooth ride, sharp turning capibility (no more 3 pt turns), and great acceleration. I feel completely safe transporting may family around. All of the seats are easy to operate, even my 5 y.o. can pull the levers. The middle row can slide forward to give the third row more leg room. We have comfortably fit 6 adults & 2 kids, also 7 teenagers & 1 mom. Last weekend I drove 5 HS sized football players to their game. All of their hemlets & pads fit in the trunk area! I'd like to see the Highlander do that! I HIGHLY recommend this car to anyone!!!

Favorite Features

My FAV features are the tons of storage options, 4 car charger plugs, iPod outlet, AC controls offer comfort levels for the different areas, "Secret" trunk storage compartment is perfect for those game chairs & blankets, third row has storage under the seat, steering wheel controls, center consol cover, insane amount of cup holders, middle row reclines, door bumpers save from dings, and heavy duty fabric on seats is easy to clean up. Sits high off the ground so you can see over most vehicles. Roomy seating. My husband and boys are over 6' and they all can fit in any row.

Suggested Improvements

Switch the driver/passenger cup holders with the small storage bin and add a light in the trunk area. The front windows could be redesigned so rain doesn't pour in when they are cracked, but I plan on buying window guards to help this problem.

Paint
By slmoody

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had problems with paint chipping around the headlights, is anyone else experiencing this problem? Honda has already attempted 3 times to fix now for the 4th time paint is peeling off in the exact same spots.

Outstanding Vehicle
By TGHonda

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Fun to Drive, Gas Mileage, 18 city and 26 hwy. Checked every drop of gas to tenths of miles. Great SUV. Best for the Money, reliable, Quality Not smells new an dies or rattles like other equal in class.

Favorite Features

Rear View Camera, XM Radio, Gear selector, Wide view easy to see out all areas, good 3.5 l V6 and the variable Cylinder engine, 3 cyl, 6 cyl.

Suggested Improvements

Make a standard EX with all of the option on a EX-L/Touring models

Perfect Family Vehicle
By Alan

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this vehicle for my wife and she loves it! The mileage on the highway is decent but the mileage in the city should be better. There is plenty storage space available which is great with 2 kids. There is plenty of room for an adult next to the 2 car seats in the 2nd row. The 3rd row can be tight if you don't slide the 2nd row forward slightly. The boxy styling isn't the prettiest but it is the most functional, allowing plenty of space in the cargo area even with the 3rd row up. Panic braking distances could be improved but brake pedal feel is excellent. I took it on a long trip the day after purchasing and it is very comfortable, although the HVAC controls take a while to get used to.

Favorite Features

Storage space is plentiful. Sliding 2nd row seat is a great feature. 4 LATCH attachments for car seats. Roomy 3rd row. XM Radio.

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof on EX models would be nice as well as a place to stick loose change in. Move or add air vents in the second row to the pillars or roof so rear- facing car seats get air flow. I expected better gas mileage in the city.