2011 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
Not impressed
By ncg8r2 on 08/10/14 16:22 PM (PDT)

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After years of hearing how everyone LOVED their Honda Pilot, we broke down two years ago and bought a 2011 EX-L with 22,000 miles on it. After 4 months, the sunroof started to leak.As soon as the 36K mile warranty ran out, transmission issues. 3 months ago, more transmission issues. Last month, brand new battery went dead 3x in a week. Took the battery back but it checked ok as did alternator. Dealership was stumped said it was fine. Left me stranded and having to call tow truck twice. Turns out - another dealership 4 hours from home where I happened to be stranded - found an A/C switch was malfunctioning causing battery drain. Can't wait to find a replacement. It won't be a Honda.

Transmission problems on a new Pilot
By ajit5 on 08/27/12 16:29 PM (PDT)

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am extremely disapppointed at the quality of Honda. I had purchased a 2011 honda pilot EXL as a family vehicle in October of 2011. With 9200 miles on it I already have a transmission problem. Luckily I bought extended care on the vehicle, but this is the second time in less than 1 year. First time they had to replace a valve and now they are saying they have to replace the transmission. To top it they say it will take 10 days to replace the transmission but will pay me only for 6 days of rental. This is my only car. Any ideas as to who I can go to for help.

Just Ok
By carguy163 on 08/21/12 11:20 AM (PDT)

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I was disappointed in the Pilot. I purchased a 2011 EX-L. What disappointed me the most was the poor gas mileage for a relatively weak engine for the size of the vehicle. I was barely getting 17MPG overall. I bought the SUV for the size, it is big and can carry a lot of cargo. The ride is good, but very stiff. I had no major problems, but there was a constant allignment issue that I had to have fixed several times. I would not recommend because I feel there are much better other similiar vehicles available for the same money.

Like it so far...
By buff1480 on 06/12/11 08:33 AM (PDT)

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had it for about a week now and my family loves it. I've only driven sports coupes and sedans up to this point so the fun-factor is definitely lacking. But it is a very comfortable car for a fairly large family (have a 6 year old and 5 year old, expecting another in December).

Great change of pace at good price, excellent performance.
By cajuncooker on 03/07/11 20:10 PM (PST)

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Been driving a '98 Explorer, '99 Olds Silhouette, (Pilot replaced), and my wife's '08 Tribute; what a change. Looking for something to give us driveability, comfort, roominess that could replace a minivan, but yet give us the versatility of a SUV. Enter the Pilot. After researching and driving the Equinox, Edge, Acadia, CX-9, Santa Fe, Murano, Highlander and Explorer, the Pilot just offered so much more for the value. Our first Honda, we have been very pleased. A much roomier, comfortable vehicle the Pilot is heads above the competition. Comforatable quite rider, great handling and reasonable mileage, I would highly recommend the Pilot.

Middle/End of the pack? Waitaminute folks!
By crgeorgia on 01/03/11 14:06 PM (PST)

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Traded an '08 RDX for an '11 EX-L 12/22/10. Came close to ignoring the Pilot after reading the editors review. We had an '05, so visited the local Honda dealer for a test drive. Bought it immediately after. Here is my take after a 1200 mile round trip from GA to FL (7.5 hrs ea way). Performance, acceleration, handling, and braking are fine. It is relatively quiet, quite comfortable, and a pleasure to drive on a long trip. We got 22.8 mpg with a new engine & cruise set @ 77-83. Center stack does have a lot of buttons; but, the layout is quite logical rendering it a non-issue. The vehicle also features outstanding reliability and owner satisfaction over the long term (check Consumer Reports).

Don't Understand Why all the Drama
By Mr. Andy on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased vehicle brand new. Drives quietly, smooth and very comfortable. I'm 6'2" and fit very well in the driver & Passenger seat. Haven't tested full fuel range but I'm sure I can get a good 375 miles from a full tank. Many complaints about comfort, Fuel economy, gadgets. Perhaps if one test drove the vehicle first, they would see these faults and move on to something else. As far as Fuel, I didn't pick an SUV because I wanted Fuel economy, I picked it because it felt strong. If you want better gas mileage DON'T BUY AN SUV. Get a Camry or an Accord; Duh. No problems with braking; I don't tailgate or expect to be still doing 60 mph in heavy traffic. I'm lovin' my Honda.

I've got the peeling paint blues
By ApexPilot on 11/12/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've got an appointment to take my Pilot in a few weeks for peeling back bumper. What's up with that? I've been a loyal Honda owner for over 20 years and I've never had an issue with the paint peeling. For the most part I love my Pilot. For me it's much more comfortable then my 2007 CR-V was.

2011 pilot issue VCM
By hugh7 on 09/22/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

i just bought a 2011 honda pilot EX-L 2wd on the spur of the moment,heres something that i did not notice on the test drive, there is something that you should know before you buy this high priced SUV! it has the ECO system also called the VCM this is were 3 or less cylinders shut down when you reach a certain speed, this is very noticeable it feels like a constant up or down shift or an engine misfire!this is to save fuel, i am very disappointed with this, on my 70+ mile trip back from the dealership the thrill of buying a new car sure went down the pipes! shame on you Honda if i wanted to save fuel i would have bought a FIT!

Disappointed
By Kay on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have been extremely disappointed with my new Pilot. Having owned Hondas in the past, I expected no problems but have many. Paint peeling on front bumper, scrubbing in front end when turning and breaking at same time, sunroof won't close if you are stopped, skipping on cool mornings, latch on 3rd row seat snapped. I hate to continue with negatives. Wish I had my GMC Yukon back! Took to dealership for the scrubbing, they said it was anti-lock breaks. They will paint my bumper but not replace it. This is not acceptable to have body work on a brand new vehicle especially when the mfg plant is 30 minutes away where they have newly painted bumpers to install on new Pilots. MPG not good.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Honda Pilot Suv in VA is:

$114 per month*