Used 2011 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

probably my last Honda
By Ginger Davis

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After owning EIGHT previous Hondas in this family (several Civics, Accord, CRV, even one previous Pilot), this one has convinced me to look at other cars. It's either a lemon or Hondas just aren't made like they once were. I have had many, many minor annoyances and a couple major ones that have cost us a fortune. It's been to the dealership FOUR times for a problem that still isn't corrected despite several claims that it was just the sensor so they adjusted it, then it needed parts which I bought and paid for labor to replace with no difference...and we still have the issue with the back hatch. We also have horribly squeaky brake-like sounds when backing out of our inclined driveway which they can't figure out or fix. And the biggee was something that was actually recalled and, despite always taking this car which was under warranty only to the dealership for service in order to be covered without a doubt for years, I wasn't told about until I took it somewhere else. That shop took me and showed me that it was leaked fluids from some joints behind the front wheels and they easily found a service notification for my model and suggested I take it to the dealer that had always serviced it because "they would have to cover it since they were the only ones that touched it while it was under warranty". Well, guess what...they knew that was a problem but didn't mention it WHILE IT WAS UNDER WARRANTY because it wasn't bad enough; yeah, waiting until it progresses and is NO LONGER UNDER WARRANTY seems legit. I'm done with Battema Honda in OKC and probably Honda altogether. Maybe going to check out Toyotas this time around.

Not impressed
By ncg8r2

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After years of hearing how everyone LOVED their Honda Pilot, we broke down two years ago and bought a 2011 EX-L with 22,000 miles on it. After 4 months, the sunroof started to leak.As soon as the 36K mile warranty ran out, transmission issues. 3 months ago, more transmission issues. Last month, brand new battery went dead 3x in a week. Took the battery back but it checked ok as did alternator. Dealership was stumped said it was fine. Left me stranded and having to call tow truck twice. Turns out - another dealership 4 hours from home where I happened to be stranded - found an A/C switch was malfunctioning causing battery drain. Can't wait to find a replacement. It won't be a Honda.

storage spaces for passenger seat area, roomy, road visibility, easy to maneuver seats up and down, seats 3 average adults comfortably in 2nd row.

Interior lights are confusing to use, seats are hard...+ see above.

It's a GOOD SUV
By 0akland395

2011 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought back in 2012 with 45k on it, has about ~80k now. Very reliable, all I've done is perform scheduled maintenance. Gets around 19 mpg but if driving with a light foot you can get around 22 avg. I love the ECO mode that will switch the engine to 4 cyl when driving on highways. I just the rear had A/C vents in the roof as opposed to having them at knee-level. It's a Honda, so I EXPECT it to last for years to come! Great car, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good reliable SUV. One thing that is weird that might be unique to mine is that the buttons on the radio will occasionally not work, but the volume and tune nobs work fine.

Automatic Eco mode, daytime running lights, folding third row, sliding cover over front cup holders, tons of storage up front, compass, HUD

Put rear AC vents in ceiling instead of knee-level for second row; add a digital temperature gauge; there's more but that's all that comes to mind

Great Vehicle
By doc_oc

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our EX-L with 29K miles on it. This is what you get. Solid, sturdy build inside and out. Smooth driving experience. I have not had any issues accelerating or braking. Lots of room, especially in the third row. You actually have room to put some suitcases in the back with the third row up which is something that can't be said for many SUVs. The plastic is plastic...it's not any cheaper than other vehicles. It is classy and very functional with no flash. That is what you get with Honda.

Roominess, luggage space w/ third row up, smooth ride, sturdy build, 2WD/4WD option, Variable Valve system, backup camera, reliability

Don't see what all the complaints are about
By mattj2125

2011 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I drove literally a dozen different SUVs, domestic, foreign, you name it I drove it. The pilot is the best you can get, hands down. We thought we were sold on the Tahoe or suburban, or gmc and ford equivalents, but they are incredibly expensive and totally unreliable. We bought our pilot used with 44k miles on it and you would think its new. Transmission is smooth as silk and the 4x4 is second only to jeep. We take our 4x4's to the beach every year and the pilot can almost hang with the wrangler and would if it had a locker in the differential. If you complain about this truck, you are too picky and should probably buy used. My only complaints so far is the ridiculous Eco mode.

Excellent 4x4, fit and finish