Used 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Not impressed
By ncg8r2

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After years of hearing how everyone LOVED their Honda Pilot, we broke down two years ago and bought a 2011 EX-L with 22,000 miles on it. After 4 months, the sunroof started to leak.As soon as the 36K mile warranty ran out, transmission issues. 3 months ago, more transmission issues. Last month, brand new battery went dead 3x in a week. Took the battery back but it checked ok as did alternator. Dealership was stumped said it was fine. Left me stranded and having to call tow truck twice. Turns out - another dealership 4 hours from home where I happened to be stranded - found an A/C switch was malfunctioning causing battery drain. Can't wait to find a replacement. It won't be a Honda.

storage spaces for passenger seat area, roomy, road visibility, easy to maneuver seats up and down, seats 3 average adults comfortably in 2nd row.

Interior lights are confusing to use, seats are hard...+ see above.

Transmission problems on a new Pilot
By ajit5

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I am extremely disapppointed at the quality of Honda. I had purchased a 2011 honda pilot EXL as a family vehicle in October of 2011. With 9200 miles on it I already have a transmission problem. Luckily I bought extended care on the vehicle, but this is the second time in less than 1 year. First time they had to replace a valve and now they are saying they have to replace the transmission. To top it they say it will take 10 days to replace the transmission but will pay me only for 6 days of rental. This is my only car. Any ideas as to who I can go to for help.

Just Ok
By carguy163

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, I was disappointed in the Pilot. I purchased a 2011 EX-L. What disappointed me the most was the poor gas mileage for a relatively weak engine for the size of the vehicle. I was barely getting 17MPG overall. I bought the SUV for the size, it is big and can carry a lot of cargo. The ride is good, but very stiff. I had no major problems, but there was a constant allignment issue that I had to have fixed several times. I would not recommend because I feel there are much better other similiar vehicles available for the same money.

The amount of cargo space. The solid feel to the build quality.

Improve poor gas mileage. Increase engine performance and increase horsepower. Not fun to drive at all.

Like it so far...
By buff1480

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had it for about a week now and my family loves it. I've only driven sports coupes and sedans up to this point so the fun-factor is definitely lacking. But it is a very comfortable car for a fairly large family (have a 6 year old and 5 year old, expecting another in December).

Back-up Camera embedded in rear view mirror, seat folding options, tri-zone climate control.

Honestly, the one thing I don't like inside the car are the buttons that control the climate control. Looks very cheap. Also, acceleration lags. A stronger engine may be called for with the size of the vehicle being so large now.

Great change of pace at good price, excellent performance.
By cajuncooker

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Been driving a '98 Explorer, '99 Olds Silhouette, (Pilot replaced), and my wife's '08 Tribute; what a change. Looking for something to give us driveability, comfort, roominess that could replace a minivan, but yet give us the versatility of a SUV. Enter the Pilot. After researching and driving the Equinox, Edge, Acadia, CX-9, Santa Fe, Murano, Highlander and Explorer, the Pilot just offered so much more for the value. Our first Honda, we have been very pleased. A much roomier, comfortable vehicle the Pilot is heads above the competition. Comforatable quite rider, great handling and reasonable mileage, I would highly recommend the Pilot.

Interior roominess and convenience; many cupholders, and cubbie holes, versatility of seating/cargo configurations; very comfortable ride and terrific handling. Many features included that are cost extras on the others we tried. Love the fact that you can get a SUV type vehicle that drives and handles like a car. The tri-area control A/C is great. Much roomier feeling than most crossover vehicles. Acuatully could see in driver seat without hitting sides and top of interior. Great value in features for price.

Better gas mileage would be good; more flexibility in configuration of features.