Used 2011 Honda Pilot LX Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

It's a GOOD SUV
By 0akland395

2011 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought back in 2012 with 45k on it, has about ~80k now. Very reliable, all I've done is perform scheduled maintenance. Gets around 19 mpg but if driving with a light foot you can get around 22 avg. I love the ECO mode that will switch the engine to 4 cyl when driving on highways. I just the rear had A/C vents in the roof as opposed to having them at knee-level. It's a Honda, so I EXPECT it to last for years to come! Great car, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good reliable SUV. One thing that is weird that might be unique to mine is that the buttons on the radio will occasionally not work, but the volume and tune nobs work fine.

Favorite Features

Automatic Eco mode, daytime running lights, folding third row, sliding cover over front cup holders, tons of storage up front, compass, HUD

Suggested Improvements

Put rear AC vents in ceiling instead of knee-level for second row; add a digital temperature gauge; there's more but that's all that comes to mind

current pilot owners trading up -look at alternatives
By mic14

2011 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased 2.5 yrs ago and is a major dissappointment. Also own 2003 (which we love). If trading up from that, you will be very dissappointed. + smoother transmission v. 2003. road noise better Neg.: recall problems - inferior paint resulting in rust - is happening to ours. Also serious recall on missing airbag harness screws. Other issues: terrible mileage, transmission problems - stranded us on a road trip & not covered by warranty, door hinges mis-aligned so door wouldn't close properly, undersized brakes - rotors warped at 10,000 miles, poor location of shifter (knock into neutral with knee) reduced center console space/clausterphobic, cheap materials, stain prone seats/cant get out

Suggested Improvements

Honda seems to have skimped on this redsign a couple of years ago much like the panned Civic redesign. If you own the 1st generation pilot like us, we recommend looking at alternatives versus buying this generation. Drove the Ford Explorer this year and was surprised how much better it was. This car needs improved mileage, interior upgrade, serious improvement in reliability/quality.

My 1st Honda
By Debbie

2011 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Love the Pilot. It replaced a 1999 Toyota 4Runner with 190,000 miles. What a dream. Great road presence. Love the color (Cherry Pearl). All I hear is "Love Your Pilot"! Comfortable, smooth, quiet ride. Found the MPG sweet spot, 75 MPH and set the cruise - 22 MPG is awesome for this size of a vehicle. Want better? - then buy the Highlander Hybrid.

Favorite Features

AUX connection, nicely hidden. Rear climate controls including 3rd row vents! Adjustable back seat. Lots of hooks for grocery bags. Tons of Storage. GREAT SOUND SYSTEM! Sub- woofer standard. Indirect lighting for night driving. Comfort of all 3 rows

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar driver seat. Power rear window (like the 4Runner). Exterior temperature gauge.

Love My Pilot!
By hondagirl

2011 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just turned in a leased saab suv 97x and purchased my Pilot. I purchased the LX model and was concerned I was going to miss all the "perks" of driving a luxury suv. I haven't missed my Saab at all! I love my new Pilot! It's roomy, rugged looking & very comfortable! It is also extremely fun to drive. It's perfect for my family. I had 3 Honda accords and then in 2005 purchased a Saab 95 wagon, and then in 2008 leased a saab 97. Both were complete headaches! They were both in the shop constantly! I couldn't be happier to be back in a Honda! I can hardly wait to take a road trip!

Favorite Features

Fun to drive, very comfortable, roomy cabin with tons of cargo space, spacious third row that folds flat, mp3 plug in.

Suggested Improvements

Well, I knew the gas mileage would not be great, but this car really slurps the gas! Satellite radio standard on all models, even lx.