2011 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
Not impressed
By ncg8r2 on 08/10/14 16:22 PM (PDT)

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After years of hearing how everyone LOVED their Honda Pilot, we broke down two years ago and bought a 2011 EX-L with 22,000 miles on it. After 4 months, the sunroof started to leak.As soon as the 36K mile warranty ran out, transmission issues. 3 months ago, more transmission issues. Last month, brand new battery went dead 3x in a week. Took the battery back but it checked ok as did alternator. Dealership was stumped said it was fine. Left me stranded and having to call tow truck twice. Turns out - another dealership 4 hours from home where I happened to be stranded - found an A/C switch was malfunctioning causing battery drain. Can't wait to find a replacement. It won't be a Honda.

It's a GOOD SUV
By 0akland395 on 07/22/14 09:35 AM (PDT)

2011 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought back in 2012 with 45k on it, has about ~80k now. Very reliable, all I've done is perform scheduled maintenance. Gets around 19 mpg but if driving with a light foot you can get around 22 avg. I love the ECO mode that will switch the engine to 4 cyl when driving on highways. I just the rear had A/C vents in the roof as opposed to having them at knee-level. It's a Honda, so I EXPECT it to last for years to come! Great car, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good reliable SUV. One thing that is weird that might be unique to mine is that the buttons on the radio will occasionally not work, but the volume and tune nobs work fine.

Great Vehicle
By doc_oc on 06/26/14 07:44 AM (PDT)

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We purchased our EX-L with 29K miles on it. This is what you get. Solid, sturdy build inside and out. Smooth driving experience. I have not had any issues accelerating or braking. Lots of room, especially in the third row. You actually have room to put some suitcases in the back with the third row up which is something that can't be said for many SUVs. The plastic is plastic...it's not any cheaper than other vehicles. It is classy and very functional with no flash. That is what you get with Honda.

Don't see what all the complaints are about
By mattj2125 on 01/04/14 18:12 PM (PST)

2011 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I drove literally a dozen different SUVs, domestic, foreign, you name it I drove it. The pilot is the best you can get, hands down. We thought we were sold on the Tahoe or suburban, or gmc and ford equivalents, but they are incredibly expensive and totally unreliable. We bought our pilot used with 44k miles on it and you would think its new. Transmission is smooth as silk and the 4x4 is second only to jeep. We take our 4x4's to the beach every year and the pilot can almost hang with the wrangler and would if it had a locker in the differential. If you complain about this truck, you are too picky and should probably buy used. My only complaints so far is the ridiculous Eco mode.

Disappointed
By db1155 on 11/12/13 16:17 PM (PST)

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

24,000 miles. Rotor, tire, transmission issues. Unsafe, unreliable vehicle.

Excellent choice and still enjoy driving it.
By pmm21 on 04/08/13 09:44 AM (PDT)

2011 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Great alternitive to a minivan and it has 4wd (on demand AWD I guess). The only issue was the cheap tires that came with it lasted only 28k miles. It is very comfortable and can tow my 20 ft boat pretty well. Love the SUV rugged look even though it's more of a soccer mom crossover. We have had great lck with this vehicle and plan on keeping it forever.

current pilot owners trading up -look at alternatives
By mic14 on 04/02/13 18:39 PM (PDT)

2011 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased 2.5 yrs ago and is a major dissappointment. Also own 2003 (which we love). If trading up from that, you will be very dissappointed. + smoother transmission v. 2003. road noise better Neg.: recall problems - inferior paint resulting in rust - is happening to ours. Also serious recall on missing airbag harness screws. Other issues: terrible mileage, transmission problems - stranded us on a road trip & not covered by warranty, door hinges mis-aligned so door wouldn't close properly, undersized brakes - rotors warped at 10,000 miles, poor location of shifter (knock into neutral with knee) reduced center console space/clausterphobic, cheap materials, stain prone seats/cant get out

Still deciding
By 7669 on 02/11/13 12:38 PM (PST)

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just purchased a 2011 Pilot EX-L with navigation (FWD). It has 19, 000 miles on it. I admit the gas mileage is disappointing, especially considering it does not have 4WD. I am still getting about 20 mpg on the highway, around 15 in town. I agree that the interior appears cheaply made but will withhold judgment until I see how it holds up. I am wondering if anyone else has experience with the FWD model? I live in a snowy area, but in the six years I owned my first pilot, did not once use the 4WD option. Hoping that the traction control and good snow tires will keep me going. One day after I bought the pilot we had a pretty significant snow storm and had no problems...

Not what was advertised.
By ckevc on 01/19/13 14:59 PM (PST)

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The 2011 Pilot we purchased was advertised as habing 22 mpg on the hhighway and 18 in the city which we considered good for a SUV this size. We wer disappointed to find out that the car receives 18 highway and 15 in the city. We have also discovered that the tires need replacing after only 2 years and 28,000 miles. When I asked if theis was normal the dealer said it could be. Again, we were disappointed to find out the tires had no warranty from either the car or tire manufacturer. We have had to bring the cr n for 4 recall checks which seems rather high. Overall, a nice car but not worth the money and less than advertised.

2011 Honda Pilot EX AWD
By ron84 on 12/21/12 15:40 PM (PST)

2011 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my Pilot EX for two years (bought it new) and have approximately 50,000 miles on it. Absolutely no problems and it has performed as expected. It has plenty of power and is very comfortable. It handles very well and is easy to drive. It does very well in snow (better than my old Subaru). It is a perfect family vacation vehicle. It seats 8 and has plenty of leg room in both the second and third rows. All seats are comfortable but it seems to be slightly lacking in knee space in the driver's seat. You can't go wrong with a Honda Pilot. There are fancier SUV's out there but when all things are considered, you can't beat a Honda.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Honda Pilot in VA is:

$134 per month*