Used 2011 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Most Helpful|
Great people hauler with some downside
By navyhawk

2011 Honda Pilot Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, we are very happy with our Pilot. Traded 2007 CRV to get more space. Also considered GMC Acadia (thought the 2nd row captains chairs would be better). Turns out actually liked the Pilot second row bench better because it is more comfortable. This SUV is very roomy inside. I also have an Audi A4, which has a quiet ride. I don't understand others complaints about road noise in the Pilot. It's quiet. Its great for family road trips and has a comfy ride; rear entertainment works great for kids (DVD and can connect to gaming system). Honda really needs to give the Pilot more power and better fuel economy to compete in this class. We get 20-21mpg AT BEST on highway.

Favorite Features

Great interior and exterior design, spacious interior, legroom in second-row seating, private storage area in cargo, turning radius, comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better fuel economy, more space between shifter and steering wheel (I constantly hit my hand on shifter when reaching for windshield wipers and even knocked into neutral once while going down highway), better voice recognition for hands-free features (works so poorly we never use it), better quality sound system (weak in high frequency range), "busy" center console, add-on look of trip computer (looks like an after-thought add-on), auto climate control doesn't maintain constant temp.

It's a GOOD SUV
By 0akland395

2011 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought back in 2012 with 45k on it, has about ~80k now. Very reliable, all I've done is perform scheduled maintenance. Gets around 19 mpg but if driving with a light foot you can get around 22 avg. I love the ECO mode that will switch the engine to 4 cyl when driving on highways. I just the rear had A/C vents in the roof as opposed to having them at knee-level. It's a Honda, so I EXPECT it to last for years to come! Great car, and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good reliable SUV. One thing that is weird that might be unique to mine is that the buttons on the radio will occasionally not work, but the volume and tune nobs work fine.

Favorite Features

Automatic Eco mode, daytime running lights, folding third row, sliding cover over front cup holders, tons of storage up front, compass, HUD

Suggested Improvements

Put rear AC vents in ceiling instead of knee-level for second row; add a digital temperature gauge; there's more but that's all that comes to mind

One word for this suv. Cheap!
By cessna100

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Had the Pilot EX-L/RES 2 weeks. My 3rd Pilot. Traded a 2006 MDX. The 06 MDX is a MUCH better car. Very disappointing Honda. The interior fit and finish has to much hard cheap looking plastic. The ride is average but the road noise is terrible. 102.3 decibels peak at 60 mph (unofficial). The average was 92.6. I keep looking to see if I left a window open. Have Michelin LTX A/T2 tires. Very loud! Poor gas mileage. ECM is useless on this car. Works great in the Accord.

Favorite Features

Nice sound system as long as your listening in the garage. Room and storage.

Suggested Improvements

Dump the ECM system and gear the 5 speed transmission the same as the MDX or replace with a 6 speed transmission. It will give more power and better mileage. Improve the sound insulation. And please go back to the 06 - 08 pilot interior fit and finish. This interior is horrid. Return touch screen.

Not what was advertised.
By ckevc

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The 2011 Pilot we purchased was advertised as habing 22 mpg on the hhighway and 18 in the city which we considered good for a SUV this size. We wer disappointed to find out that the car receives 18 highway and 15 in the city. We have also discovered that the tires need replacing after only 2 years and 28,000 miles. When I asked if theis was normal the dealer said it could be. Again, we were disappointed to find out the tires had no warranty from either the car or tire manufacturer. We have had to bring the cr n for 4 recall checks which seems rather high. Overall, a nice car but not worth the money and less than advertised.

Favorite Features

third row seating, split fold down seats, large cargo area, nice stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Tires that last more than 28,000 miles.

Last Honda
By cessna100

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

From 2006 MDX Touring(Best car I have ever owned)to the Pilot. Very poor sound engineering. On 3rd set of Michelin tires and still loud road noise. 85 decibels at 60 mph. 95 to 105 decibels at 70 mph! To much hard plastic on the inside. Poor fit and finish. The VCM operation is rough. The 2007-8 Pilot is the better car. Test drove the 2011 Touring model with Michelin LTX M/S2. Very quite and nice ride. Poor fuel mileage. The VCM system works great in the Accord. The Pilot is to heavy for the VCM system to be effective.

Favorite Features

Great stereo when not moving. Honda reliability. Comfortable seats. Cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Drop the VCM system and go with 6 speed transmission. Give more power and better fuel mileage. Fix the road noise problem (without buying a MDX).