2010 Honda Pilot EX-L SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2010 Pilot Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Sort Reviews by

Good SUV but pulls to the right
By Michael

2010 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Overall a good car. Had a previous Nissan Armada and got tired of driving a "School bus". Overall fit and finish is great. Main problem is that the car is pulling to the right. Had to bring the car in 4 times and finally after driving with the tech, they agree that it does indeed pull to the right. (why it took them 4 times to acknowledge this is beyond me) It pulled to the right from day one. Make sure you test drive your car before you buy it. There is a service bulletin out (which the dealer had no idea about and did not divulge this, I had to research this) and check your VIN number. In fact just don't buy this car if it is listed within the service bulletins VIN #.

Favorite Features

Overall great car. Good construction.

Suggested Improvements

Rear deck declines towards the rear. Dash has too many buttons. Car is way underpowered and could get better gas mileage. Cylinder management is silly because other comparable vehicles get better gas mileage and have more pep.

A little bit disappointed
By Ivan

2010 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second review. I have this pilot for 5months now. It is fun to drive and performs well except of the following. 1. Moonroof occasionally has problems. i already received letter from Honda that they will update it. 2. Paint on the bumper starts to peel. I was disappointed because i am not expecting that i will have paint problems in just 5 months. dealer said that they will fix it. 3. Seat belt at the 2nd or 3rd row rattles. this is somewhat annoying. I suggest that if you want to buy a pilot check the paint quality on the bumper and door edges of the vehicle.

Favorite Features

leather steering wheel, back up camera, heated seats, 6 disc changer

Suggested Improvements

change the front grille,19" wheel option, ventilated seats. push start button(like that of the highlander)

Trying not to regret
By Toonman

2010 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this car for the spaciousness and 3rd row. I never owned a Honda and heard about Honda's reliability and quality. Since I bought this, I had 2 issues. First is the moonroof will not close. It goes back halfway and kicks back. Sent to dealer twice and they reprogram the system. Still the same issue. A week ago, I received a recall letter asking me to bring back my Pilot for a moonroof software update. Second issue is the car keeps pulling to the right. I have seen some reviews about this. Brought it to the dealer twice and they said nothing wrong. Obviously this is not the first car I have driven and I know when a car is pulling to its right. I am hoping for another recall...

Favorite Features

Spaciousness, 3 zone A/C, ECO feature..

Suggested Improvements

Mileage - I am a city driver and it only average at 16 mpg. Quality could improve - like the moonroof problem and pulling to the right.

un to drive
By ivan

2010 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I just traded my 2009 highlander to a 2010 pilot EXL. The Highlander has better exterior and softer ride but overall I like the pilot better. It has bigger and better interior. It is fun to drive and better handling. It has enough power and fuel economy is not that bad. I get the same fuel economy with my 4 cylinder Highlander. I have test driven BMW x3, MB glk350, and Nissan Armada. I finally chose the pilot for overall performance

Favorite Features

moonroof, heated leather seats, leather steering wheel, back up camera

Suggested Improvements

change the front grill, seat belt rattles,

Steering issues
By mgb

2010 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After steering issues with a CR-V I previously owned, I had some concerns about buying a Pilot but after some test drives and conversations with my dealer, my concerns were alleviated. Big mistake on my part. It just took one experience of accelerating while going up a fairly steep highway hill and trying to change lanes to the right to convince me that my Pilot is dangerous. It 'floated' back toward the original lane I was in on its own accord. Since then I've noticed that quite often when I accelerate going up a hill, especially coming out of a right turn, it doesn't stick to the road. Hopefully I'll be rid of it before I have to depend on it in an emergency situation.

Favorite Features

Great stereo, comfortable seats, nice leather, roomy, easy to fold down seats, great visibility.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the steering issues or get rid of front wheel drive.

Love it!
By Bob

2010 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Mileage is a little weak but overall car is great, comfort, handles well, drives nice. I love mine!

Drive one, You'll buy one.
By Clemson Fan

2010 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just the right size. Bigger than our old 2000 Explorer. Rides MUCH smoother and 10 times quieter and more refined. Steers perfectly straight, has very steady wheel, so don't be put off by all that pulls right talk! 24 mpg on hwy, 18 in city, 20.5 mixed. Not bad for 4000lb SUV - it is a Honda, but not a Civic or Accord, so be realistic. Super quiet, comfortable, handles great, good power. This SUV deserves a very close look if you are in the market.

Favorite Features

Build quality, fit, finish. Heated comfortable leather seats. Seats give you a hug, so might not be good fit for really big person. Rear view camera. Lots of pockets, cubbies, cup holders. Great info on control panel and dash. Sliding 2nd row seat, real-size 3rd row seat, fold flat seats, cargo vol

Suggested Improvements

Honda philosophy of including almost everything in a small number of trims is great. So why not include the wiring for the tow package when the hitch receiver and transmission cooler are standard? My only real complaint. Consider getting the side steps. I got cheap online from Bernardi Honda.

BEST SUV SO FAR
By bob

2010 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I never thought of purchasing an SUV, I was looking at sedans last year but then I never have enough room when I drive home for vacations. I looked at the pathfinder, highlander, 4runner and the aspen. Then while driving home I was passed by a fast moving pilot, I went for a test drive on all SUV's mentioned above but the pilot was the cream of the crop. It had everything I wanted and more for the price; the room and comfort sold me. I wish the gas mileage was better since it has a engine management system but I already knew what I was getting into since it is an SUV.

Favorite Features

The room, comfort and seats alot of people.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage and since the SUV comes standard with the towing bar, include the wire harness.

Great Vehicle!
By txmommy

2010 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Previous to this I had a 2000 Honda Accord, after two kids we needed more space. This Pilot definitely has more space and can comfortably fit three across (with a car seat in the middle). It has a smooth drive and the gas mileage is as advertised, though I do not have a lead foot and drive conservatively. The interior is very roomy, I was surprised it was so big. The leather does seem a bit cheap since it seems like it discolors easily and attracts the blue color off of jeans, I have the light grey leather. Overall I am very pleased with my new Pilot. It gets great mileage, has lots of room, is very safe and easy to drive and maneuver and I enjoy it immensely!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, passenger and driver side controls for heat and air (just wish they were independent of each other), back up camera, storage space, easily has enough room for all passengers, smooth drive,

Suggested Improvements

Allow passenger and driver to control flow of air independently of each other, leather quality (seems to discolor easily), cup holders in the door for both driver and passenger, storage space like the odessy, it also doesn't appear the 60 portion of the third row is latch compatible, what gives!

New EX-L
By John

2010 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Took a 600 mile road trip over Christmas. The pilot did great, we have one 15 month old and another on the way. The vehicle is roomy and very comfortable to drive. Love all the cubbies to store stuff in. The suspension is amazing and the highway ride is great as well. I did not notice any lack of power and got 21mpg as it is not broken in yet. Go drive one for yourself, I drove a lot of vehicles but none of them stacked up safety and feature wise to the Pilot.

Favorite Features

suspension, storage, automatic lights, size, seats, rearview camera

Suggested Improvements

none