2009 Honda Pilot Consumer Review: Reliability of Honda now in qu

2009 Honda Pilot - Consumer Review

Touring 4dr SUV (3.5L V6 4x4 5-speed Automatic w/Nav and Rear Entertainment)

Reliability of Honda now in question
By jimbob on

2009 Honda Pilot Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this Pilot since Sep of '09 and initially enjoyed the vehicle with the exception of the hands-free phone operation. I did experience a reliability/quality problem with this SUV when my independent mechanic noticed some leak in the "lower control arm bushings" so he recommended that I take it to a dealer to see if it would be covered. Since I had exceeded the 36k warranty, Honda said it would cost me $1100 to repair this problem and they would not cover any of the costs. It was obvious to me that this was not a simple "wear and tear" type of problem and more likely a defect that did not show itself in the first 36k miles. In any case, Honda was not willing to do anything.

Favorite Features

I like the GPS/Navigation display and the fact that I could enter addresses even when the vehicle was moving (unlike my Toyota/Lexus vehicles). The variable cylinder feature seemed like it saved gas mileage by a couple miles per gallon.

Suggested Improvements

Make it easier to use the hands free bluetooth by allowing both sending and receiving calls automatically (w/o having to transfer manually) on the speaker phone when the phone is connected to the bluetooth of the vehicle.
By hillbilly4
on 02/04/13 16:01 PM (PST)

i had the same lower control arm issue, also in my 09'. right now i am ignoring the problem. i have only done light 4wdriving, in the snow, seems odd to have this problem.

By hillbilly4
on 03/21/13 10:58 AM (PDT)

i finally had my lower control arm thing fixed. i realized / remembered my auto insurance has mechanical breakdown insurance on my policy, i used it to cover the fix. i did have to pay a small deduct.