check your oil
By jimmyh1 on
2009 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
we owned the vehicle since Aug 09 and it has ran very good. I am concerned about the oil consumption Burning oil) Had all but an oil changed at the dealer,one at the local mechanic. Before going on longer trips, I always checked the fluids. Saw the oil was low. topped it off and then checked periodically. We have 25K miles on it now and used synthetic oil. It appears I am not the only one complaining or noticing the low oil level. check out carcomplaints.com. Going to see what the dealer has to say and have it documented. Please check you oil level also and if you are low, bring it to their attention. Perhaps with enough complaints, honda will have to do something, . (
Favorite Features
big and comfortable on long trips even in the third row. 4 wheel drive is very good in the snow. feel safe in the vehicle
Suggested Improvements
bad engine design I guess. a new engine should not burn this much oil. 2008 and previous years didn't. I guess it is because of the ECO mode. Fix the problem
By iluvourboys2
on 04/10/13 10:34 AM (PDT)

This should not be happening. I feel like I drive a hunk of junk and need to have extra oil on hand just in case. My experience was, on my display it showed I had 10% oil left, then went to 5%, which it has done in the past. I knew I was due for an oil change. Then a few days (not more than a week) after the 5% display, my engine light came on. I called my service tech at the Honda dealership. He told me as long as the engine indicator display was not blinking, I could still drive it. I took it in 2 days later for the engine light and an oil change. I find out that the engine light is on due to NO oil at all on the dipstick. "The oil is past the stick." Also, he told me it does not have a leak and it is burning oil and that's normal. I need to "start checking my oil level every 1,000 miles now." I could not believe what I was hearing. Seriously? It's an '09, bought it in late '08. My Pilot has 54,000 miles on it and now I have to treat it like I drove a piece of junk? In my opinion, I think Honda is just trying to cover their butt. I'm getting rid of it and will never purchase another Honda again. I've read about a class action lawsuit regarding 2008-2010 Honda Accord Oil defect. I wonder if there will be one for the 09 Pilot as well? I'm done with Honda!