2009 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
Great Value, deceptive fuel mileage
By dollar_savvy on 09/21/09 11:26 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my '09 pilot, touring, 4WD since May 2009 now. We love the interior space with 8 seats. We do not like the plastic on dash board and the whitish center console backing. The Handling can use a lot of work but it's a Honda, I guess they think that I will be spending another $20k to make it look/feel like a BMW anyways so why bother. :-) I really did not think that their EPA mileage will be that much off. It says 16/20/18 (city/highway/combined avg), but I am getting just about 250 miles for a full tank of gas, that's about 12/MPG. WOW!!!!

I Love It
By K.Black on 09/19/09 06:47 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've had my Pilot about 7 months now and have had it on a 3000 mile trip to Colorado and back (I live in California). The Pilot has plenty of power even in the mountains I averaged 23.4 mpg on that trip even with the cruise set at 75mph (which is the legal speed limit in Nevada, Utah and Colorado on the Freeways). I did take it out of cruise when climbing long grades the transmission shifts too much if left in cruise....I was driving 12 hour days and did not get tired at all the Pilot is very comfortable....even around town I get little better than 15 mpg. It does drift to the right if you take your hands off the wheel. But most 4WD's I have driven do the same thing. I'm very happy with my Pilot.

Excellent Vehicle So Far
By Dave on 09/01/09 14:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Looked at the Toyota Highlander and Mazda CX-9, which simply did not stand up to the size and features of the 2009 remodeled Pilot. Bought the Pilot in September of 2008, and have been very happy so far with no problems. Towed a tent camper trailer without any problems -- hardly knew the trailer was behind us -- did not have any issues with sway.

Verry happy
By happy on 08/25/09 07:28 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We looked around very hard before buying our Pilot and we believe that we got the best for our money. Sure there are other SUV that are better in some areas but the Pilot got our vote because overall it had the most for the money. It stops very fast if you are driving at high speed. It rides smooth compare to others. It is roomier than others and it carries a lot more than what the brochure says, trust me we have tried. Fuel consumption is better than what the brochure says. It does get 25mpg on the highway and fully loaded with 5 people it still gets 24mpg. We just love it.

New SUV Owner
By New SUV Owner on 08/16/09 07:15 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Before buying this, I did long test drives of Toyota Highlander and Pilot back to back. Although the Highlander has better looks, pickup and performance, the steering response was non-existent, it was like playing a video game. Also, the space after the last row on the Highlander was minimal, and the last row did not have a split seat. Pilot on the other hand did not have great pickup, but once you get to the highway speeds, it performed remarkably well. The ride quality and steering response were excellent. The utility factor is awesome, with 110v outlet, ipod link etc. Also, I sat much more comfortably and had a better view of the road than the Highlander. Overall a great family SUV.

Roar baby Roar
By Suny on 08/11/09 16:11 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I got my first Honda Truck in January. My PILOT EXL 4WD 500.00 a month. I love my truck quiet powerful roomy and well design. I like everything about the Pilot. You get your money's worth.

Happy with Pilot
By weeboo on 08/11/09 11:24 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We've been happy with our Pilot. We're hooked on the XM radio, love the dual zone climate controls and are very impressed with the overall room of the interior. We were looking forward to having the class 3 trailer hitch, but were sorely disappointed with the fact that just the Honda trailer wire harness is $181 dollars for a 2 foot harness under the bumper(?!). Even more disappointed that the connector under the bumper is a goofy connector that NOBODY carries yet. Happy over all though. We'll just wait to buy a harness from someone not trying to rip off a customer for an overpriced set of wires. Happy with the handling, but our Pilot pulls to the right on level ground at constant speed

Comfy SUV That Can be Put to Work
By le hayes on 08/09/09 13:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Pilot last winter to replace a Chevy diesel work truck and an aging Chrysler family van. The Pilot does double duty as a business vehicle that regularly tows a 5,000 pound utility trailer and a weekend family cruiser. Very impressed with how well it does both, and I'm very surprised to see the engine occasionally described as underpowered as I've experience nothing of the kind and am very impressed with both the towing ability and quickness from a stop, as well as the highway climbing torque. I'd suggest others try locking out the overdrive for most local driving/climbing if they want to see brisker performance. I have 13K trouble free miles to date and am averaging 18-19 mpg.

Reliable, Practical, but Boring
By RyGuy on 08/06/09 19:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very Comfortable and spacious. Definitely the best SUV for a family, because you can fit 3 people in both the middle and back rows. The reason we bought this vehicle is because we have two kids in car seats and my wife wanted to be able to sit in the back with them. This is the only SUV we could find that has the LATCH system in the middle seat. So we can put the two car seats together, and my wife can sit on the end. The reason this is handy is so that if others needed to access the third row, you wouldn't have to remove a car seat. That would be a pain! The third row seat is also actually quite spacious for adults. Great family car. The only thing is that it's kinda boring to drive.

Honda Reliability???
By Laura on 07/30/09 06:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I really wanted a GMC Acadia. Loved the look, but was a little scared with all the financial trouble. I also heard the GMC was not a reliable as a Honda. Therefore, trying to get the best buy for my money I bought a Honda Pilot. BIG MISTAKE. I have had major issues with the alignment. Feels like I go in ever other week. They (Honda Cars of Katy) keep telling me the Pilot was built to pull to the right. After spending 30K+ I thought I was getting a reliable car. Now after only 4 months of ownership, the paint is peeling in multiple places. The leather is already coming apart at the seams. I thought Honda was supposed to have quality vehicles, but I am sadly disappointed.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Honda Pilot Suv in VA is:

$134 per month*