Used 2009 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

The SUV for car lovers
By YJHB

2009 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

If I could give Honda/Acura a "20" in reliability, I would. My 06 Acura TL was feeling cramped with 2 car seats lodged in the back. We looked first at bigger cars, then sat in the back of a Honda Pilot and looked around. The thing has a LOT of family friendly amenities, and the rear temperature control is superb; it heats up quickly and stays at the set temperature. Driving it was a pleasant surprise to me, a gearhead car devotee. In short, it feels tight and light; body roll feels minimal, and it brakes and corners competently under moderate usage. It's the most car-like SUV I've ever driven. Acceleration is leisurely compared with my fast TL, but the kids are oh-so-much happier. TY HONDA!

Favorite Features

Eight comfortable to sit in and easy to get in seats. Although its large on the inside, it heats up quickly (I haven't had it long enough to know how quickly it cools down). Love the plentiful cup holders. You mash a button, and the tailgate opens - alternatively, you can also pop the rear glass.

Suggested Improvements

Come on, Honda - $40,000+ sticker on the top of the line Pilot, and you can't see clear to spring for the currently optional, nicer chromed grill to make it stand out???

Great Family Vehicle
By Honda4Me

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Since purchasing this SUV I've been more than pleased. It makes driving fun again. It's roomy but sleek on the inside. I've found that it has plenty of power for everyday driving and I've averaged 20 MPG so far (both city & HWY). After driving domestic cars my whole life I can now see why they are in so much trouble. The Honda Pilot is best in its class in my opinion.

Favorite Features

Backup camera, real plug, iPod adapter and just the way it drives.

Suggested Improvements

Make an easier pass through to the third row seat.

Love it!
By Glen

We love our pilot. It's strong, comfy and fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Rear camera, free hand link, sensors, space, open the back door with the key.

More for the money
By james

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We originally stayed away from this vehicle due to the so called expert reviews. Sorry boys but you have missed the mark. We went looking for months and at the end of the day the new Pilot is the choice for those with any common since. The Tahoe is supposedly a full size yet the Pilot with all three seats up can hold something in the rear. "like a cooler!!!!!" The Tahoe, with all the seats up, you could not get a full size cooler in the back. Take a hint Detroit.

Favorite Features

This vehicle feels like you are actually sitting in something that has some substance to it as opposed to car like feel of the bulk of the GMC/Ford Xovers.

Suggested Improvements

Put a little bit more under the hood. Although it can pull the boat just fine.

Pilots Rock!
By Joe

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

As usual, my new 2009 Honda Pilot is everything that you would expect from Honda - solid, reliable, fun, etc. It has all of the features of more expensive SUVs for a reasonable price. I don't have one bad thing to comment on.

Favorite Features

Up/down windows, rear window hatch and huge storage area between the front seats.

Suggested Improvements

Not much - the interior could be a little more fancy for the cost and the Ipod should be able to be charged and controlled with the stereo controls.