2009 Honda Pilot EX-L SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2009 Pilot Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Sort Reviews by

pleased
By pleased

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I looked @ Saturn Outlook, NIssan Pathfinder, Toyota Highlander, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia,and Buick Enclave. I was pleased with all of them but I wanted a vehicle that had great resale value, safe,good gas mileage and is known for longevity. I did research between all of them compared features I wanted and did not. Everytime I thought I wanted another brand I was back @ the Pilot. It is very comfortable and It fitted me well. I took my Pilot to the mountains and was averaging around 30-32 miles per gallon. I truly recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

radio, leather seats, gas mileage,comfort

Suggested Improvements

bigger glove box, offer bose sound system or harmon Kardon, offer black leather with all exterior colors

Too truck-like
By Louielouie

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just returned from a 3500 mile trip. At real world Interstate speeds (75-76 mph) I was able to squeeze out 21.5 mpg. A bit low but this is a big box! Suspension is a bit too stiff and with a truck type tire and stiffer steering than our previous two vehicles ('07 Pacifica & '02 Highlander) you never feel like you're 'part of the vehicle'. Bucket seats are firm but comfortable. Plenty of cubby holes and storage compartments but interior trim materials are hard to the touch and unattractive. Sound system is just 'OK'. '02 Highlander sound system has better features. Glad we leased. Engine Mgmt. system works well. No discernible sensation when system shuts down or turns on cylinders.

Favorite Features

Storage space. Front seats.

Suggested Improvements

Better grade of interior finishes. Rear camera image difficult to view in bright sunlight. Radar sensor back-up system more useful.

Verry happy
By happy

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We looked around very hard before buying our Pilot and we believe that we got the best for our money. Sure there are other SUV that are better in some areas but the Pilot got our vote because overall it had the most for the money. It stops very fast if you are driving at high speed. It rides smooth compare to others. It is roomier than others and it carries a lot more than what the brochure says, trust me we have tried. Fuel consumption is better than what the brochure says. It does get 25mpg on the highway and fully loaded with 5 people it still gets 24mpg. We just love it.

Favorite Features

3rd row seat has a lots of room. Rearview camera and the ability to pull our 20 foot boat without a problem. By the way that gas mileage is still 17mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Better front look.

Good, Bad, Ugly
By hondafan

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Good - Honda Ride, Functionality, lot of space. Went on a 1000 mi trip on Jul 4th weekend. Loved the ride. Drives like Honda civic. Price - Lot of good deals around. Bad - Interior & Exterior Gaps. Wind noise on highway is a bit high (typical Honda product) Ugly- Cheap interior plastic material, & rear carpet. The plastic around the key area getting lot of scratches already.

Favorite Features

Average MPG & ECON indicators (It's like playing a video game to get good MPG while driving). Seats and lot of space. Clear Gauges.

Suggested Improvements

Interior Quality. Design looks good but quality and durability need to be improved a lot. 30K+ price and just basic head lights?

Couldn't be happier!!!!!
By Rob Lo

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We considered the Highlander and Murano, but after we drove the Pilot is was over! This vehicle just oozes quality. The minute I sat in the Honda you could see how much better and thought out the interior was compared to the competition. Also the dealership was far above Nissan and Toyota when it came to friendly and professional service. We bought the Black cherry w/ Black leather and the vehicle is just beautiful!!! It does pull to the right slightly so I'll be taking it back to get fixed. No big deal.

Favorite Features

The back up camera is crystal clear. The stereo is amazing!!!! The gauges are cool looking I guess you either love'em or hate'em. Third seat has much better leg room than competition. Very comfortable ride. Smooth as silk V6.

Suggested Improvements

Seat heaters don't get that hot even on high? A/C controls are a bit busy.

Good but far from perfect
By jack

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Very solid performance, smooth riding, good brake, good acceleration. However, I found the building quality is not so good.

Favorite Features

Sound system, third row seats.

Suggested Improvements

Use high quality plastic for the interior. Can do more to improve the storage components in the front seat. Make second seat adjustable. Fuel efficiency. Sun roof should be moved forward a little bit, or enlarge.

Not too proud of honda
By nunchuck

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After purchasing a 2009 Honda ex-l pilot I realize that the pre-wiring connection was a dummy connection. I am not able to connect a trailer wiring harness unless I purchase the expensive kit from Honda. The kit cost more than if I had bought the tow hitch separate and had it wired. I also found out splicing into the wiring voids the warranty. Then I learned that remote start is a problem. Turning the car off after remote start just to enter the car is the dumbest idea I ever heard. It is my understanding both of these feature was pre-figure to get you to come back to Honda. I just wonder what else have Honda done to steer you back to them. My first Honda and my last. Bad mistake of Honda.

Favorite Features

I have no favorite features on this vehicle. Just realize I could have gotten more for my money if I had stuck with American made vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Not manipulating their customer and steering them back to Honda to make a dollar. This totally turned me off. Need more power and better braking.

Satisfied!
By JE Reid

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My first SUV and I am so impressed with the way my Pilot drives. I am having fun and love it. All my family are proud and happy for me and my friends are complimentary. Was not sure I would like SUV but am very satisfied.

Favorite Features

Plush interior, great looking exterior, back-up camera is great. Love all the cup holders and generous storage space.

Suggested Improvements

Have not had this vehicle long enough to experience any turn-offs that would result in suggestions for improvements.

My best Honda ever!
By joeydee75

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I've owned five Hondas since 1983 and I have to say that my Mocha Metallic 2009 Pilot EX-L is quickly becoming my favorite one. Its car-like and quiet ride has surprised me; its roominess for 8 adults impresses everyone. It's a slam-dunk choice, especially for the goodies you get for the money.

Favorite Features

The legroom in the second row is exceptional! The front seats are very supportive and offer a great view of the road. The paint job is beautiful. It's solidly built.

Suggested Improvements

The glove box is rather small for the size of this vehicle.

Great SUV, solid performer.
By mistercoffee1

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

After two road trips and a full tank of gas, I'm very happy. With 3-4 adults and 2 kids, the car accelerates well for the type of car it is, and has some good climbing power. Very smooth and very quiet. As far as cylinders shutting off, you can feel it only if you're really paying attention and looking for it - otherwise pretty seamless. After a few test drives as well as an additional 300 miles in, I'd say the braking feels as responsive as you need it to be - smooth when you need a gradual stop, and firm when you need to shed speed quickly. I feel very safe and comfortable in this car, yet it's a great pleasure to drive. Compares favorably against the Lambdas (Acadia, Outlook, etc).

Favorite Features

Love the space in the interior especially the 3rd row; plus you can fit two full car seats in the middle row plus an adult. Latch hookups across the center row and one in the 3rd row (which I love). Very roomy and comfortable. Smooth and quiet as well.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage as with any SUV. The average mileage indicator seems to take into account too much idling (as it refreshes about every 10 seconds). Running boards as a standard feature.