Used 2009 Honda Pilot LX SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

Best vehicle ever owned
By very happy guy

2009 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Every time I drive my pilot I enjoy the experience. The pilot is not the most powerful or the fastest stopping or the smoothest riding midsize but when you add everything up it is very capable and a beautiful vehicle. hwy mileage up to 26mpg- city 16mpg--it all depends on driving habits and conditions. I love the way it looks-- love the grille-love the way it drives. Some of the reviewers are not that impressed with the pilot but it is a vehicle that I love to see in my driveway. Most people pay more for a crv than I did for my pilot. Honda has hit a home run with the pilot. Absolutely trouble free- and hopefully it will stay that way!!!

Favorite Features

Solid-smooth- beautiful--a pleasure to drive-more than adequate horsepower- nice motor

Suggested Improvements

better radio reception

2009 Pilot has the right combination
By NMH

2009 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a "plain Jane" LX FWD version in fall of 2008 because it beat the nearest competition (GMC Arcadia) on interior features, width of roominess and price ($4500 cheaper on base model after all the rebates and negotiation at actual dealers). After 1 year of internet search, two car shows with a measuring tape in hand, I test drove both the Pilot and Arcadia back to back on the same piece of city/highway road on the same day. Pilot has great sound, is smooth and quiet and had the exact room I needed - I wanted to be able to have two 36 in long dog crates kept regularly in the back of the SUV with the 3rd seat down and still be able to have the 2nd row seats up for passengers.

Favorite Features

Interior width of Pilot is slightly more than Arcadia/Outlook/Englave but slightly shorter bed- tradeoff. Really impressed with the interior on the base model. City highway MPG combined is about 19/20 is very good for the size of the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

For a 5'2" woman, the driver's side is obviously designed for a taller person to enter it. Base model desperately needs a simple running board. Would suggest an armrest than drops down as most folks are not as wide as the Pilot seats so its hard for an average person to rest their elbows.

I love my Pilot!
By Leslie

2009 Honda Pilot SUV LX 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle has power, and a beautiful, smooth ride. I drove fords for years, and find this vehicle to be exceptional in quality, ride, and feel. The Pilot has a wider wheel base than my Explorer, and rides deep into a turn so you remain seated at normal speeds. I get very little if any pitch, and roll from the suspension. The car is very stable. Lots of interior space as well. The looks of the car are not great, but that is the only part I would want improved. I STRONGLY recommend this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Cubby-holes and storage areas. Plenty of powerports for MP3 and XM radio. Doors open wide, engine is powerful. Pick-up when merging on freeway is excellent! Plenty of power on hills. Compared to my former V8, this vehicle has some serious power, with better gas mileage. ECO mode is great!

Suggested Improvements

Exterior could be jazzed up a bit. Sound system is good, but could be a bit better.