Used 2009 Honda Pilot SUV Consumer Reviews - 195 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Honda Pilot SUV - Consumer Reviews

2009 Honda Pilot SUV

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

"It's suppose to burn that much oil!"
By Cheeky

2009 Honda Pilot SUV Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well, I have had my pilot since 09. I have enjoyed it so far, with a few exceptions. Around 80,000 miles my engine started misfiring. And I got a check engine light that came on. I took it to autozone were they pulled a code. The code confirmed my thoughts, it was a missfire in two of my spark plugs.

I decided to save a little money and replace them myself. Figured how much trouble could it be. I pulled the plugs and two of the plugs seem to have been worn excessively.
I started to do some research online only to find out that a lawsuit against Honda about this problem. Apparently the piston rings would shift and allow oil to enter the piston chamber, causing pre mature wear on the plugs and excessive oil consumption. Honda knows of the problem and is supposed to fix it.

I brought this to the attention of dealership I frequently visit. I was told because I replaced the plugs and code was cleared I just had to wait until it happens again.

Since that incident both catalic converters have failed, why you ask well because they have been coated with oil. By the way that will be a $1400 job please. Also, my Honda pilot if it sits running while parked for over a minute , and then I press the accelerator it blows out a large amount of smoke. I have since brought that up to the dealership. The mechanic told me I needed a new engine! Well, I brought up the leaking piston rings, the lawsuit etc. I was then told " That now I need to do an oil consumption test". Apparently burning three quarts of oil between oil changes is "normal" according to Gunn Honda.

I haven't changed the catalic converters on my pilot yet because I figured it would be a waste of money if they are going to get covered with oil and go out again ;I may want to wait. By not changing them keeps my fuel management system from working properly. For those who need further explanation if you see the green "ECO" light on! You are running on three cylinders and not six, which is "supposed" to be increasing your gas mileage.

So if you are thinking of buying a used one understand this might be what you are getting.

I will say other than that problem I have really enjoyed the ride and comfort of the pilot. If the new ones didn't look like the Honda Odyssey so much I might have upgraded.

2009 Honda Pilot Review
By captainbull

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

We bought our 2009 Honda Pilot as new from a Honda dealership here are our assessments:

1. Cheap interior design. Cheap plastic and adhesive. The "skin" for the club compartment peels off easy.
2. Cheap glasses. Just one little hit of a little rock the windshield just cracked. It's so thin.
3. Noisy driving (windows not tight seal).
4. Cheap paint (scratch easy)
5. Incorrect gas mileage (they lied) we only get 18MPG on HW and 16MPG city.
6. Stupid trailer light system design. They just want their dealers to make extra cash (so many steps to install it) and the kit cost over $200!)
7. Only one key entry from driver side.
8. Windshield wiper fluid pump failed to early.

1. Roomy. 2. Engine is dependable.

My feedbacks are for our 2009 Honda Pilot, but they are the same for all later models. Fix all the problems in the review above. Next vehicle will be a Toyota that what's we should have stayed with.

No Honda Reliability
By vq35de1

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This car has a lot going for it, it's comfortable, has tons of interior storage, seats eight comfortably, etc.... BUT, we have had a lack of reliability including a transmission sensor and now the engine. Look into the Honda VCM V6 problems. The cylinder shut off system ends of fouling the plugs leading to a million warning lights and a trip to the dealer. The "fix" is to replace your plugs or short block depending on how bad things got. There doesn't seem to be a fix, just a band-aid. Now I'm going to have to trade her in way before I planned because once the extended warranty is up I don't want to pay the maintenance.

Storage, cup holder, third row, comfort of seats.

Don't use customers for beta testing new technology.

Wonderful Vehicle
By les_bennett

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I never write reviews but after the outstanding performance of my Pilot this week, I felt compelled to. We had over 14" of snows with drifts up do 19". The pilot barreled right through. Up hills without any problems.
The VTM kicked in as it should and functioned flawlessly. When all other were stuck at home, I powered through in my Pilot!

VTM(all Wheel Drive) Size

Headlight are hazing up. Oil Usage (common on all Pilot even in manual)

Rants and Raves
By honda_5

2009 Honda Pilot SUV EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Plenty of space, enough power to do what I need, looks great, nice features and functions.

Fuel mileage wasn't close enough to estimates, smell of something burning under acceleration when hauling a 5X10 light trailer, musty odor in the cabin when heat is on, had to buy trailer lighting kit even though the vehicle comes with a trailer hitch type bumper, washer fluid light has to be reset (silly), rear washer fluid sprayer not working (needs repaired already), burns oil or something, oil level gets lower than expected in between oil changes. I have always been a huge Honda fan, I feel let down after as much as I paid and the little things I'm dealing with. It was a certified Honda too so I really didn't expect this.